Recommended books/articles

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by ClumsyFoot, Dec 31, 2004.

1. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

I didn't see a thread of this type in my search (I'm learning, KickChick.), sooo....

What books or article one the topic of self defense, esp. as relates to women?

The best book that I've seen is "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker. ClumsyFoot's unauthorized cover notes: A premise of the book is that as humans we're hardwired to experience fear. Even though we might not be able to always articulate why we experience fear, the sensation is there for a reason... therefore we need to listen to it and act accordingly. deBecker notes we are culturally trained to ignore fear, especially women who experience more pressure to "be nice".

One example he shares is a woman who is in an isolated situation, about to enter an elevator. The doors open, and something about the man standing there makes her uneasy. People, especially women according to deBecker, are trained to think "I don't want to be rude or impolite, so I'll get on the elevator". deBecker asks what creature other than humans would get in a steel, soundproof, escape proof box with another creature that is causing fear?

deBecker basically says listening to fear (which is a gift provided to humans to help keep us safe) and keeping ourselves safe is first priority. Whether we appear rude is of no consequence.

Interested to see other recommendations.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

4. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

Thanks for the thread links. I'm particularly interested in the topic for my family's sake, and it looks like I have a lot of reading to do. -CF