Recent Rape Poll In The Uk?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Grizzlygrime, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Grizzlygrime

Grizzlygrime New Member

Rencent Rape Poll In The Uk?

i was just wondering what you all thought about the recent rape poll in the uk.

example : the poll says that women must be partly responsible for being flirty and wearing revealing clothes !

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's shocking.

I don't know anything about how the poll was carried out, but if it is a representative poll then it's pretty scary.

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Read about it in the paper!

The sad thing is it didn't surprise me that there are people out there with those sort of views.

In my view the only person who is at fault in that situation is the attacker! They commit the assault they start it and go through with it not the victim!

Yes it aint too bright for a woman to walk down a dark alley whilst drunk wearing a mini skirt but that's only because there are sick individuals out there who are looking for prey.

4. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

I think there are certain conditions where the woman could be partly responsible. (Flame war begin)
    If a woman goes up to a guy and dances up close to him in a short skirt, winks at him, says she wants to do stuff with him and then walks off, it is the same as me going up to a guy and calling him an idiot and goading him into a fight.

The law in the UK takes the goading into account. I think it's outrageous to claim that a woman in revealing clothes alone would be reponsible for rape. You have to take it on case by case.

Just to clarify, we are not by any means saying that the rape is acceptable.

5. Lord Spooky

Hope you've got your napalm proof suit on! :woo:

As you seem to have started off by saying that your intention was to start a flame war so how much of the following do you actually believe:

Er just how is it the same?

In no way is it the same. So what did you do the last time you thought a woman had lead you on then turned you down?

No your just saying that if a woman turns you down or walks off she should get a smacking?

Good God!

6. Playful Giant

I didn't say that I wanted to start a flame war, I just knew that there would be presumptious idiots flaming me

I told her to f&*k off and went home, alone. Just as when guys have come up and called me a w&nker, I didn't hit them.

The point I was making was that the law recognises that goading someone into a fight makes that person partly responsible for what he gets.

A woman goading a bloke into rape is treated the same.

Not at all. I'm a Playful Giant. I don't hit women (unless I'm sparring, or unless they've got a weapon)
    I do not condone rape.

7. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Ridiculous.

The sort of circunstance described by Playful Giant could be used to make the female responsible for the act if we were animals, not humans.

A HUMAN BEING is capable of going to a motel with a female, taking off his clothes, taking off her clothes, and end up not having sex with her, because he made a rational decision not to do it, or because she said no. I did that, I refuse to allow other men to get away with rape because "they couldn´t help themselves" - jesus people, we are not animals, we are not driven only by hormones.

With intelligence comes responsibility. I don´t care what she did, she is not responsible for YOUR actions, just for hers. And if you hold her down and force your part A into her part B while she is telling you not to, you commited rape, even if she said yes until two seconds ago, even if she did allow you in before.

8. WingChun Lawyer

Does the law recognize that in the UK? Sounds unlikely to me. Goading someone into doing an instantaneous act of violence (a punch, a shot) os much different from goading someone into an act of violence that may last several minutes. Sorry, but that sounds fishy to me.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So how far do you think a woman has to go to 'goad' a bloke into rape? The example you gave of 'saying she's going to do stuff to him' doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Frankly I'm struggling to think of a scenario. Even if she jumped into bed with him, she's entitled to change her mind and say 'no'. I know there are some women who are basically teasers, but the fact is that rape is violence. No amount of 'goading' can excuse rape, surely?

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm with Johnno and WingChunLawyer... how in the hell can you make such a comparison?!?

And hopefully someone with some real knowledge of the law will jump on board here and explain what British law says and does not say about rape.

11. Lord Spooky

The impression given with the above is more of “what a good boy am I for walking off and not smacking her one” it still looks like you would of thought it ok to do something of a more negative nature and it still be right? Not that it’s someone’s right to change their mind on you!

A woman goading a bloke into rape hmm that says a lot in my view. :eek:

It may be an old cliché but “No really does mean no” even if you’re butt naked on top of each other.

No you don’t just the idea that if it does happen well it could have been her fault any way…….

12. alister

alister Huh?

13. Lord Spooky

Just seen what others have posted whilst I was writting mine!

14. WingChun Lawyer

From that site...do we have a british lawyer on board? I mean, of course any defense attorney would try to frame the woman as a slut who actually wanted it, but I want to know if any "provocative behaviour" (NOT consent, just the sort of provocative behaviour described by PG) can actually work as an attenuating circunstance in the UK.

15. Playful Giant

Exactly how far does a guy have to go in goading a guy into hitting him?

The law in the UK recognises that fights can startfor various reasons. Just because a guy attacked someone, it does not always make them guilty of GBH / ABH. If a person is beating up your mum, would you attack the guy or stand by. If a person comes up to you in a bar and puts his hand on your shoulder do you react?

If a woman comes up to you and grabs your hand, unzips your fly, etc, would you carry it on?

There is definatley no excuse for forced rape (a man sees a woman in an alleyway and attacks her).

A woman in a bar who has been dancing all night with a guy and tells him she wants him will be partly responsible for the guy having sex with her

There is a fine line between rape where a woman is assaulted by a complete stranger and rape where a woman knows the guy and decides at the last minute to pull out.

Animals are not driven solely by hormones. They think and feel just like humans. We are different in that we have been taught right and wrong by society

Can I also just say that a person is entitled to say no when he is attacked, but he will still get attacked

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Actually that's a very fine line to tread in the states. All 50 have Rape Shield Laws. We can't paint the victim as the Whore of Babylon. IF the issue is consent, we can only discuss the relationship between the vic and the perp, not bring in all of her ex boyfriends. Discussing provacative behaviour in court in the states will get you held in contempt, and probably just **** off the jury big time.

17. Sensei Matt

Sensei Matt New Member

must swing the other way, man injoy yourself have fun then go home and sort yourself out

18. WingChun Lawyer

PG, from a lawyer´s perspective - there is a world of difference between an instantaneous act of violence and an act of violence which may last for several minutes. One can be justified in the eyes of the law for various reasons (including legitimate defense of a third party, as you mentioned), the other cannot.

The point is, you are comparing rape to assault or to battery. You should not. Compare rape with torture and you are closer to the reality of the act: can you imagine a legal justification for torture? I cannot.

19. Playful Giant

That's interesting. In magistrates courts in Britain, you can hold testimony from past partners of the woman if it is claimed that she goads blokes into sex and then pulls out last minute.

Overall, I am not trying to say that this situation is okay. Only yesterday did we have a rape victim pull out from a case because she says that she made it all up and that he never entered her

20. Playful Giant

As I have stated, we are not justifying rape but saying that a woman can be partly responsible for the acts that follow if she goes to a bar dressed in underwear and starts dancing with male strangers