Reccommend a good Kickboxing/Thai boxing club in huddersfield pleas.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by _sam_, Aug 14, 2011.

1. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new club for myself and my son and daughter, as i'm not happy at our current club. Can anyone reccommend a good club ion huddersfield? We are going to check out Bob sykes's club (colne valley black belt academy) and also Master sken's thai boxing academy, also in the same area. (there is also a boxing gym here for me too so it ticks all the boxes for me haha)

Cheers guys, any info/advice will be much appreciated.

Sam

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Well before someone comes and slags of Master Sken's Academy I can recommend it.

I have not trained with Sken for years, but when I did I found him not only skillful, but a perfect gentleman.

I recall him saying "train correctly and you can train well into old age".

I know less about Bob Sykes other than to say he is a respected and well known name.

I suggest giving both styles a look.

3. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Thanks for that mate, ive had a good look at both website's and we're definately going to go have a look at both, though to be honest i'm leaning more towards Master Sken's Academy, either just for me, or for both me and the kids.

Sam

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Don't forget to tell us how it goes ;)

5. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

things are different at skens now simon. He's stopped producing fighters and if I know sken that means more spinny kicks and kicking apples off of swords and that kind of stuff. besides hes expensive.

6. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah will do mate, cheers.

7. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Are you saying its not worth training at Skens then?

To be fair it doesn't seem that expensive, £40 a month for 4 classes per week (one is a sparring class) and for those who fancy it (and once they reach an acceptable level) they hold interclub fights once a month, something i'm very interested in. Ive not fought for almost 4 years (boxing, though i do still spar regular) but have been bitten by the bug again since starting kickboxing 6 months ago and i'm dying to get back at it, i'm 36 but feel ive still got a few fights in me yet and this would be a good way to see if i'm right or not haha.To be honest though I could always stick to boxing if i don't find a decent club, as ive already started taking my lad along with me while we're looking for a new kickboxing/thai boxing club, but we both enjoy kickboxing and it'd be a shame to drop out simply because our last instructor was poor. There must be better ones available.

Cheers.

Sam

8. Master Betty

It's not the price of the training itself that sken is bad for - he follows the whole TKD template and demands that you buy club shorts, club, hoody, club t-shirt, all your gloves and shinnies etc. come from the club blablabla. THAT's where he hits you in the wallet.

I don't know how far a drive it is for you but Dean White's Gym comes VERY highly recommended! http://www.deanwhitesgym.co.uk/

The other thing is, remember that interclub's aren't fights. Not really. In boxing they're used a lot like this but not in thai boxing.

9. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Ah ok i see what you mean...Yeah just had that at the last club too, demanding all our kit etc has to be club stuff yet it was over-priced crap!

Ok thanks for that mate, leeds isn't that far from me and it looks like a decent place so i'll definately check it out.

And cheers for the head's up on the interclub's, i was definately looking at them they way we do in boxing, that they are real fights. I take it there pretty much just like hard spars? and i'd look bad if i go in hard/ for the knockout etc?

10. Master Betty

Well interclubs can be totally different depending on who's hosting it. Some it's simply a hard spar, then there are the occasional one where it's basically full power. Best thing to do is when you go to one - ask the host what kind of contact he's looking for before you go anywhere near the ring.

If you're considering going to Leeds then you're spoiled for choice when it comes to gyms. Bad Company train in Leeds and they're considered the best in the UK. There's also a new club run by an ex stadium champ from thailand (which basically means about as good as its possible to get in his weight class) called Jompop Kiatphontip. There's loads of very very high quality gyms in Leeds. For some unknown reason.