Reasons why the Karate Kid remake will SUCK!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Van Zandt, Dec 25, 2009.

1. kenpokidd

kenpokidd Valued Member

Word up!

2. Igatiger

Igatiger New Member

Wow,

You guys are a bunch of open minded martial artists.......I guess the same old faces are better welcomed than today's new faces.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

if you dont like Jayden Smith as an actor thats fine. but calling him a gun totin 50 cent wanna be is a far stereotypical stretch. the kid is 11 years old and does dancing

as a hobby. and obviously from his parents' influence and upbringing he's not a thug.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I will watch it, as a film lover I would watch anything as it could be a right gem. The main thing that ruffling feathers is that its advertised as a remake to a much loved film to many of us have grown up to watch and love.

But its so far not lived up to the standards straight away when advertised as "Karate Kid" but filmed in China, with the child learning a form of Chinese kung fu.

Should've stuck to Kung Fu Kid.

I would say a closer remake to this would've been Never Back Down. A movie with many flaws however it is very closer to the Karate Kid than most others. With all things, give it a chance to fail first I would say, but its already done that with the title.

When you remake a MA movie classic and its already looking dubious, its gonna get flamed on a MA forum. Same with Horror films+Horror forums and so on and so forth....

5. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

First off, I don't really think anyone could play Mr. Miyagi except the original... But aside from that, I would have been willing to give the film a chance. However, they really ruined it by 1) putting the thing in China or wherever it's supposed to take place, and 2) making the new karate kid an 8 year old!!! I mean seriously, that bugs the crap out of me. It will take out any possibility of serious fighting and romance (and Ally [sp?] is the main reason Daniel starts to learn Karate in the first place).

P.S. Van Zandt, why threaten to shoot anyone who likes it? Personally, I think you should head kick them to death. :evil:

6. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

Mr Miagi was the only person worth watching, and the original was bloody awful!

it's nearly as bad as the Alfie remake or The Italian Job remake, why oh why do Hollywood insist on doing this :(

7. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

for americans though...it's too difficult to discern the differences between any of that. Hell, I teach Korean-MA and people still call it Karate! WAKE UP! Duh!

I think if viewed from a newcomer point of view...the movie itself will be good, and for nostalgic reasons. Plus, Daniel-san couldn't kick the side of a barn if he tried...at least the young-lings in this film have some moves!

8. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Yeah, sadly there are still people out there that think Bruce Lee use karate, or Judo is karate, or Tae kwon do is karate, or all martial art out there is karate. These people drive me crazy.

9. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

Exactly;there won't be a romantic element in the story.I doubt the fighting will be nealy as intense or bloody as in the first either.This one is for the kiddies,and for McDonald's to introduce a new line of Happy Meals.Us grups gotta stick to "Never Back Down","Blood and Bone","Never Surrender",etc. :liar:
    :jester:

10. Body Sushi

Body Sushi Valued Member

Errrr guys... Whilst I do agree the title is inappropriate, this is one movie that actually seems kinda fun to me.
    Have you seen the trailer?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3TwgpOfr0"]YouTube- The Karate Kid - Official Trailer (2010)[/ame]

Romantic interests, fights, and Jackie Chan as the kid's sifu... not that bad surely.

For the record, I thought the original sucked big time...

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Romantic interests and fights amongst 10 year olds aren't really that compelling. ;)

Jackie Chan is a lot of fun, but he's no Mr. Miyagi/Pat Morita imo. Much of the fun in Morita's Miyagi is the wise, quiet demeanor with the crazy humor lurking just underneath the surface. Chan is much more... boisterous, for lack of a better term. He's very funny, but he doesn't exactly do subtle.

Heresy! *gets the katanas and machine guns ready* :evil:

12. Body Sushi

Body Sushi Valued Member

How old was the original karate kid? 16? 17?
    Not exactly compelling either... dewy-eyed teenage boys don't really do it for me in any case...

On the fights front though, Jaden Smith looks like he's got a nice side-kick

13. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Best part of that trailer is the fly swatter!

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You and I think a like. The first thing out of my mouth was, "WHY?".....

15. Topher

Topher allo!

Remakes are worthwhile only if the original wasn't great but showed promise, however most remakes are of good films... The Karate Kid, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Robocop, for example.

16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Not about the karate kid remake but worth a look.

Human Target a new TV series here in the UK. NIce unarmed combat so far.

17. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

You're really comparing 16-17 yr old romance to that of a 10 yr old? Seriously... I mean you're not going to end up with a "forever-after" type love in either case (at least most of the time ^^), but I think the few extra years make quite a bit of difference in that:

1) the teen is mentally matured enough to have a decent understanding of what a relationship is.
    2) the teen is physically/sexually maturing/matured.

At least in the teen relationship it's something more than "oh I think it's cute to call you my gf/bf".

As a side note, reading what I just wrote, it sounds a lot more serious in tone than I really meant. So just to be clear, while I seriously mean what I wrote, it's meant in the "fun argument" vein rather than that of "serious debate". :)

18. Judge

Judge Valued Member

I don't think it'll be too horrible - I think people need to stop looking at it along the lines as a remake in terms of "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Halloween" or "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - It's very obvious that they're going with something different here by changing the kids age, his ethnicity and the type of location.

I think people need to start looking at it more as a reimagining of the series much like "Batman Begins" or "The Dark Knight" - a completely new take on a familiar story.

That way you may at least partially enjoy it.

19. Topher

Topher allo!

The fundamental issue, in my view, is whether it is even necessary to remake/reimagine/reboot a film. Batman was in dire need of being fixed after the monstrosity that was Batman and Robin. It you want to remake any film, remake a bad film. If a film had potential, but didn't live up to it, then I guess it would be fine to have another go. But why on earth remake a film that was good the first time?!

Answer: easy money for a studio. Sad but true.

20. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

The original was crap anyway.