Reasons to choose Judo (Much like my Aikido thread)

Discussion in 'Judo' started by -=|§ØÛ£|=-, Sep 28, 2003.

1. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Once again, just to let you know, this isn't one of those "Which Martial Art is better, blah, blah, blah" kind of thread. I want to know some insider's opinions on what makes their art great and not so great. If you can reccomend me a thread that's already covered this topic, like aikiMac (Thanks again) on the Aikido topic, it'd be much appreciated.

2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

if you like grappling more than striking then judo is for you. Judo is also good for self-defense purposes.

3. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

- Every single move you are taught, you can execute with maximum power and safely. Unlike many combat arts where you have to just keep hitting and kicking the air.

- In Judo, you can execute all the moves to Uke, and see the results for yourself.

- Judo is also very physical, since you have to do everything with a partner. Meaning that your muscles are exposed to more practise. In other words, you get in good shape.

- Due to the constant combatting you have to do in every practise, your reflexes and muscle-memory keeps improving.

- The way of thinking you learn from judo, helps in every day life.

- Self control. I used to be quite hotheaded before starting Judo. The fact that I could battle on the tatami nearly every day, took away my aggressions.

- Health. Through Judo you learn healthier ways of living, aswell as getting good exercise.

- Self defence. On the first glance, it might be hard to believe. "But you cant even hit or kick the guy!". Correct, but Judo teaches a less violent way, and a way to end the fight without having to beat the other guy into bloody pulp. It is much safer to lock, choke or controlledly trip or throw the guy to the ground, and hold him there until help arrives, or he calms down. (This is a good way to avoid getting jailed aswell ;) )
    as I already mentioned that all the moves you are taught can be executed with maximum power, thus meaning you will learn how they work for real.

- Fits for all. Everyone can practise judo. From 4-year old to the grave. Only the pace of the practise changes in between.

Oh well, I will come up with more but here are few I could think of in 5 mins.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

- Judo is great fun! :D

but as far as self defence is concerned, I believe there are better arts out there based on my experience with judoka. It's a mentality thing.

5. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

Better? How?
    Self defence is all about the person. The martial art itself doesnt really matter that much, but HOW you use it. And how well you can use it. On other hand, completely untrained people can beat up martial artists.
    Like I said, it's not about WHAT you use, but HOW :)

And I never really said judo is the greatest form of self defence. I merely stated that it is one form of it. Form which I like. It has helped me to prevent numerous flammable situations when people have behaved aggressively, maybe attacked a bit, and I have ended it quickly by armlocking them and waiting them to cool off. (Ok ok, twice :p )
    And with that, no harm was done. Unlike what would have happened if I would have started all-around fight with them.

6. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I agree with DeepFreeze. :) in a self-defense situation, you dont need to start those big fights like in the movies. your first goal is to finish the fight as early as possible to stop the occurence of a brawl.

7. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i've found that judo teaches you respect for people.
    when i first started i got beat by a girl who was younger than me. it happened more than once. now as a 21yo, there is a 16yo girl who i cant beat. true she is national team but in the street i wouldn't of given her any credit as a fighter if i didn't know her.

people always say 'leave your ego at the door' when entering grappling clubs. its good advice.

you hear alot about street fighters beating karate black belts in a street fight (well i hear it alot) but i never hear of a judoka or sambo player or wrester being beat in a street fight. i think its because we don't get involved in these things to often.

judo IMO, is one of the better arts because you have to control your partner/foe to win, where as hard style arts, you only have to control yourself. our club has an affiliated shotokan club and we go down there and they come up here for a bit of cross training from time to time. even their finest fighters, when grappling, cannot help but have their body be controled by the judoka. when we are fighting their rules however, although it looks like we are keeping up, with the kicking and punching and blocking, they are only playing with us. but, fighting against karate, you could run to safety, fighting against judo though you can't run once we've got hold of you.

besides all that, as adam said, its just great fun.

8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I sparred with a friend and that is what he exactly told me. :)(I was flattered)

yeah, I was also defeated by a relatively small opponent. about a half of my size in randori. :)

9. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

saikyou,
    dont you just hate it when smaller people beat you? i love to watch my little neice get the better of boys bigger and stronger that her, but i cannot stand it when someone smaller catches me. we live and learn.

10. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Thanks for all the great info. Doesn't Judo also help you with balance? I have a coupe more questions. Should I take Judo then some for of Karate or Boxing to learn how to punch a bit (I find it hard to believe I'll always be able to throw someone)?

11. saikyou

saikyou New Member

why?

12. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

You mean to say they'll always be open? No matter what? maybe that is possble, but I can't believe it because of my lack of experience, but still.

13. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yeah. but its ok to be defeated. I always reflect on the stuffs that I did then find the faults.

14. saikyou

saikyou New Member

You're talking about throws right? In judo, one of the stuffs that we focus on is the opportunity for the throw. Even if your opponent has a tight defense, you can still find the opportunity to throw him. opportunity is your way to throw an opponent.

15. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

I see. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I;m gonna have to go to bed soon. I guess to understand what you're talking about I'd have to take Judo and learn this stuff.

And yes, i was talking about throws.

16. saikyou

saikyou New Member

that's ok:)

To help you understand the meaning of opportunity in judo, here is an example:

Opportunity for Hiza Guruma(Knee Wheel)
    As your opponent steps forward with his right leg, instead of stepping back with your left leg, you step out to the left, possibly even slightly toward them. Then, as their right leg comes forward, you block his knee with your right foot and pull to the right and down with your right arm and to the right and up with your left arm. The result is that he pivots over your foot to the ground.

The moment that he steps forward with his right leg is your opportunity. You will learn to catch that split-second moment in judo.:)
    [​IMG]
    here is a pic of this throw to help you more.
    also, thanks for your interest in Judo.

17. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Actually, I want to stick with kuk Sool Won, because it contains some Judo. But I don't know if I can. But if not, then Judo is going to be my first pick. I've never been more fascenated with any other aspect of any martial art than the throws and takedowns (Unless you count Jackie Chan doing flips and jumping right into a sweep under the guy's legs after he lands O_O).

18. saikyou

saikyou New Member

have a pic of that? :)

19. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

You should take up a striking art to make you a more well rounded fighter. If you have the access and the time to do both then why not. The only thing your going to do is improve your abilities.

20. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

No, I don't have a pic of that exact move -.-
    But youve seen some of the high flying action stunts he does.