rear round kick problems

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by tel, Jan 30, 2007.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

hi people.
    when i do the rear round kick, i keep snapping the kick, espically against teh heavy bag, does anyone have any ideas out good ways to train the kick.
    cheers

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

You could try kicking with a straight leg(or almost straight)this would help eliminate the snapping part of your kick.The whole thing should go something like this,bend your support leg then drive up of the calf and ankle till your up on your toes(high up!) straighten your support leg to bring the thigh muscles into playas you twist and drive your hip swing your leg straight into the target,keep trying to drive the kick through the target,dont pull the kick off the target(lets say a bag) let the kick bounce of the bag itself because it cant go through the bag any more(need a heavy softish bag) return your leg back to the same place it started from,dont fall backwards after the kick,and get ready to kick again! around 300 times is good,oh also reverse your shoulders when you kick,keep your chin down and protect your face(bonkan na) with the left hand(if kicking right leg) the right arm can swing backwards and down to aid in momentum and counter balance the kick,also exhale the breath and contract the abs on impact,relaxing also is a key point to gain a good kick.Good luck :)

3. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

it's snapping because you're holding your hips back and simply allowing the swinging leg to smack on the bag. Not exactly a full blown Thai round kick. The power of the kick comes from the twisting of your hips. You have to twist and roll your hips over. Then your kicking leg will slam into the bag. You could also bend your knee slightly, allowing your shin to hit the bag instead of letting the whole leg snap.

4. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

why would you want to keep your leg strait? its slower, easy to grab and dodge, and you have the chance of landing on it in a position where you can injure yourself.

5. UninspiredUser

UninspiredUser Valued Member

I have the same problem as you! I keep snapping the kick aswell...
    Yeah, that's what I was taught. I was also taught to get up on my toes and pivot my supporting leg, to get more power into the kick.
    You don't have to keep the leg dead straight. As Jahk Nah Rai said, you can keep the leg slightly bent, and this makes the kick hit with your shin. It's believed by many to be more powerful.

6. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

This is all about power and how to start and transfer it.
    it's not "straight straight" per se. Want you want to do is kick as if your leg was somewhat "dead" or "limp". Many liken it to a soccer type kick, where you step past the ball and swing the entire weight of your leg THROUGH the ball. Utilizing the same mechanics in the Thai Round Kick, you will step slightly at a 45 degree angle from the target, twist your hips fully and allow your leg to naturally slam into and through the target. You should be on tippy toes with your supporting leg because that offers the fastest twist as well as maximization of all power into the kick. Of course if you were training MMA style, then that's a slightly different ballgame and there is a modified way of Thai kicking there.

In another example imagine you have a whip. The whip is a rather limp and flexible weapon and looks innocent enough - that is until you crack it against something. Why does it hurt so much? How does this flexible weapon feel "rigid" when it hits you? It all starts from the other end of it. It order to move the whip, you must start the movement from your arm, swinging it all the way and letting the power transfer throughout the whip. The whip will naturally crack when this happens.

Keep in mind there are different variations in the Thai Round Kick. Sometimes it could be a little more straight, sometimes it's more bent ( ie the half-knee, half-shin kick) However, the power mechanics involved are still there.

7. UninspiredUser

UninspiredUser Valued Member

Well, that's like what I meant, you just explain it very, very well :)