Really cool things that we do!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Joshua Powell, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

Ya know that some people in this world will say that we can't do as much as they can? Well how many of them will have the chance to be an Olympian :) It's coming close to my first special olympics practice for track and field. I know that this doesn't have anything to do with martial arts, but it's another physical activity where people like me can show there stuff. I'll be doing track and field this spring, and my competitions will be 1600 meter walk, the 400 meter walk, and soft ball throw. Again practice starts this Saturday. Respond to this thread if you want to know more:)

2. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Hi, Josh - all the best with it, babe! I'll never be an olympian till they bring in an event that involves chocolate... ;)

3. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

Hi Josh
    i will never be an olympian but i do train in eskrima and stick fighting with people that are physically more able than me, i have scoliosis which leaves me with 11/2 lungs to work with, and yet i out train most able bodied people, i try and get disabled people to attend class when i can

good luck Josh :D

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Good Luck Josh :)

Keep us informed of how it goes, anyone training for the olympics will be good reading.

The competition would be high though, at least half the population :D

5. Joshua Powell

Some of you may not know that much about Special Olympics. I don't know it's origins but I would like to tell you about my personal experiences. For the following reasons, I will say that I have dedicated the rest of my life to helping, or being an athlete in the special olympics. Special olympics has given all that have disabilities to prove themselves physicaly. I know that I have personal experiences with being made fun of because of how I am physicaly, or even mentaly. It does hurt, which is why we want to prove ourselves to them, and one of the best ways to do that is the special olympics, but that is not the best part. There are many best parts, and I would like to talk about those most. It's true, we get metals, and ribbons...but my best reward was when I saw my nephews, and nieces run up to me, and hug me. That is something I will alwayse remember...and alwayse look forward to. Most of my favorite memories come from people who have cheered me on in the special olympics, no matter what I did they alwayse cheered for me. When they cheer for me...when I get a hug from my family afterwords, Those are what my good memories are made of. Also even if I lose I know I did my best to get there...but I don't want to be the only one that is pleased. If the audience enjoys what they see...then I am happy. I like to win...but getting metals aren't the only rewards, if it makes other people happy, then I have already won. And also most people get upset if they lose something, like a game, or something like that...but winning is not the most important thing...the most important thing is to have fun, and that is what we at the special olympics enjoy nearly more then pleasing others...that is to just have fun, and do our best. I would love to talk about my accomplishments, and tell stories about my competitions, so if you want to hear them please just tell me in your responces:)

6. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

thats brilliant josh

post them mate :)

7. Joshua Powell

About 3 years ago I was racing against another person on my team...fastest over 60 year old guy i've ever seen. He had beaten me all the 7 years I had raced with him before...but I finally managed to beat him...I have the longer legs, so I just one giant step, and for once got the gold for the 1600:) I hope I get to race him again this year, he's a reall nice guy. I think it was the year after that my next cool story came from. In this story I learned that you can never me cocky...or you will lose. I had alwayse won the 400 meter walk...even when I started doing it I never lost. I was racing against I think 6 or 7 other people. As it started it went great. About half way around I didn't see anyone next to me, or infront of me so I slowed down a bit...but then here comes this other athlete (who was also a Josh) and he passes me...It was then I learned that I can't get cocky, so I sped up, used my long legs, and we both finished almost at the same time...except I was one 1000th of a second infront of him...I was quicker at stepping down on the finish line. That was also the same year I came home with a Gold Silver and Bronz from a state meet:)

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Joshua you seem to enjoy what you do so much....it is great ...

keep on going we are all behind you..

Smurf

9. Joshua Powell

I really do enjoy this...I wouldn't have been doing it for 10 years if I didn't:) My first practice was this past saturday...didn't go as I expected. I was starting to get really tired in the middle of my 1500 meter walk...my coach said to not hurt myself, because my face was turning red...but I stayed with it. I'm afraid that if I would have given up there, that I would give up on other things...and that's something that I can't do. One thing that I have never seen a special olympian do is give up...we have to press ourselves...We have to show that we are able, and not disabled...this is one reason why I love it so much:)

10. Joshua Powell

Hey guys:) I hope you'r still looking at this. I had my second practice...the 1500 got even worse. I started to feel a whole bunch of pains in my sides, and my shoulders...I think I would have passed out...but I didn't stop. I got through the entire thing...but I lied down afterwords...the important thing though was that I didn't let the pain get to me, and that I am alwayse determined never to give up, and alwayse to press on...I will win this battle...even if it is only against myself!