REALITY CHECK! touchy topic

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by savage, Aug 12, 2004.

1. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

You can jump out of the way of a bullet but unfortunatly, can't get out of the line of fire.

2. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hey,

Re: gun..........the person has to get to his gun and then to the trigger.
    I took a gun away from a guy on a bus. Pak Sau close to the wrist/forearm area...then slid it down the aisle with the foot--(many years ago, was very frightening)
    people dont walk around with their finger on the trigger
    Not saying MA are better than a gun---- definately not saying that --but like I said, the guy still has to reach for his gun and then aim and pull the trigger.
    KFG

3. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

How about one guy that does both? I can list three off the top of my head...

For a more on-topic discussion, it seemed to me that the major point of the articles were to disillusion many of the more modern martial artists who talk the talk without knowing what they're talking about.
    There is no training for the street, in my opinion. Things are too unpredictable, and too many situations can escalate beyond your control. The best way to train for the street, in my opinion, is to learn to run very far, very fast.

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

The best tip for the street I could give anyone is: Be aware.

5. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Japanese for 'awareness' is ZANSHIN. Our sensei used to drum this into us again and again - when you leave the SAFETY of the dojo (knives, katana etc!) have ZANSHIN at all times. Anyone who got mugged or thrashed was, of course, mercilessly (yet compassionately) mocked by us for their lack of street awareness. best defence - don't be there.

6. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

this got over 2000 veiws, hey guy we're famous!!!

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Really..:rolleyes:

The teaching of awareness or zanshin or anything else is fine, but being aware is not enough. You need to know what to be aware of in order to be aware of it. (sounds like Yoda Koan :D)