REALITY CHECK! touchy topic

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by savage, Aug 12, 2004.

1. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

all you have to do is have a very well made samuri sword with you, so if ur in close you can theaten the guy, and if your further away you can run!!!!!

2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Hi. Just caught up on the thread. Perhaps I can persuade the guy who isn't frightened of a 3 inch knife (because it can't cut deep or hurt much when you are adrenalised!?). Here in the UK a very high profile (alleged) murder case last month involved a completely unskilled teenage kid killing another kid in school - with ONE hard stab, with a SMALL lock knife! (With the usual silly over-reaction our Home Secretary now seeks to ban all knives in public places and promises 5 years in jail for anyone caught with a knife 'with intent to endanger life' - of course, you will be guilty until you can prove an innocent use for the knife. If you've ever seen Spyderco Delica knife fight training you'll understand that 3 inches is plenty to slash and stab with and can be deployed VERY quickly. You might not feel a small cut, I agree, but if they slash the tendons at your elbows or wrists or even just your fingers, I think you might have a problem, even with a coat on! :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  3. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Yes, even 2 inchs are dangerous.

4. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Too right - more than enough to impregnate anyone - so I'm told...;)

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yes ... you can breath a sigh of relief now :p

6. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

And we could go even smaller... Bruce Lee only needed a one inch punch. Lucky for him all his opponents got that close! Perhaps they attacked him in their thick coats. Personally, in the scenarios mentioned above I would have stayed well back, thrown the girlfriend at them and legged it. After all, use what's expendable.;)

7. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all.

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Hahaha...man, what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, knives, a three inch knife shouldnt be that dangerous. You are wearing a heavy leather jacket, probably have a good set of muscles and the body size of an adult. I would say unless you get stabed in the kneck you should be alright. I saw a guy put really big knife on anotherguy's belly and the other guy survived, I wouldnt be having nightmares over a 3 inch.

9. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

How bout a 21 inch samuri sword? O wait, u wouldnt feel it because adrenaline is pumping, my bad.:-D

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. He's a bit alarmist. But I do have to appreciate his debunking of myths from every side of the fence. And, at the end of the day, he's speaking from his own experience.

Personally, my thinking is that if I lived in an area where knife fights were a constant possibility, I would (and did) move.

Stuart

11. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

What if you couldnt move?

12. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Then all you have to do is become a gunfighter instead of a knife fighter!!!!

13. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

I loved the interview that he had that KC put in her posts.

He mentions the difference between fear and terror, which is so unbelieveably important, I can't believe I haven't read it somewhere already.

Good discussion guys...

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Part of the reason for this is that many use a spray of bullets because the chances of actually aiming and hitting under duress are pretty low. So you're right, that tactic + automatic weapons tends to get lots of people shot, often none of them the intended target.

Of course 3 inches can kill. I didn't mean to suggest that it could not. But those three inches need to go into an area like the neck or another artery. The chances of it slashing a vein correctly for it to bleed out (along not across) are pretty low. Especially in the original scenario where the weapon hasn't been deployed and we're at close range. If you do the research you'll find most concealed weapons are extremely difficult to get to in pressure situations (especially when you don't have the initative). And it was already established in this scenario that both aggressors hands were outside of thier pockets and empty. I'm not cavalier, but I am prepared to play the odds when they are all I have to go on.

As far as weapon length and it's effect on assaults, check out this article written by a Kali and law enforcement expert:
    Big vs Small: Does Size Matter When it Comes to Knives by Bill McGrath:
    http://www.cfw2.com/article.asp?s=cfw&content_id=3077

I have a hard time believe that a 3 incher, deployed under pressure is going the have enough weight on a slash to sever a tendon. It's possible, but again not necessarily probably and I'm going to play the odds when I have to.

- Matt

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  15. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

I told you that you feel that. :eek:

16. Matt_Bernius

The three inch knife hit? Maybe... maybe not. Adrenaline is a remarkable thing. Take the following from the McGrath Article:

17. Matt_Bernius

I believe the joke is that in the face of that I'd probably have to split. Literally.

- Matt

18. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

ya the samuri sword isnt friendly.

19. InfinityEve

InfinityEve New Member

i agree scarlet. no mater how many MA you have studied, how many 'belts' you have, or even how fast you think you are, none can dodge a bullet.

20. InfinityEve

InfinityEve New Member

yeah. stupid bringing a knife (or just your fists) to a gun fight.