REALITY CHECK! touchy topic

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by savage, Aug 12, 2004.

1. savage

savage New Member

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

They don't load for me! Im having problems with my computer so it's most probley that though...

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol yup! it's my computer for sure... no other site loads but MAP! :D:D:D which is fine by me lol.

4. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Right... You'll forgive me if i dont take what this guy says to heart.

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Lol, you'll forgive me whilst I laugh at your ignorance and put it down to your age, won't you????

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Only checked a couple of pages of this massive site - but a lot of common sense seen in this brief scan. This guy writes well, and freely admits who he is going to upset.

Consider it carefully, and if you think he is a fool worth ignoring then good luck to you. I was impressed by this brief look.

7. G_Man

G_Man New Member

I think if this guy researched some of the non-sporting styles such as Matsubayashi Ryu, he may have another opinion.

8. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Consider yourself forgiven.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

FYI ... "this guy" is Marc "Animal" MacYoung, an ex-LA street rat with 34 yrs. of training in.... Karate, Wing Chun, Baqua/Hsing-I, Five Family Gung fu, Boxing, Western swordsmanship, Kali and various forms of Pentjak Silat.

He and his wife now teach their own style.... Dango Jiro which draws a bit from all these styles and this web site and his various books (10 I believe) & seminars teach street survival and this "No Nonsense Self-Defense" ( a combination of formal martial arts techniques and principles and his real life experience, supported by research into the areas of psychology, criminology, sociology and legal use of force) ... pretty basic stuff really :D

10. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

All very impressive. But reading his articles it seemed like he was saying "if you learn anything other than what i do, your wasting your time."
    In truth, all your training, whether "no nonsense self defense" or "shotokan karate" will be of use to you in a self defence situation as long as you can react to the situation. I know, im most likely to get flamed for saying this but if my opinion grates with anyone else's, thats to bad.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Is that so? I never got that impression from reading his stuff. I don't agree with 100% of it .... but would rather formulate an opinion about him and his 'method' after taking one of his seminars.

What looks good in print has to stand up in practice. Then I can pass a rational judgement.

12. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

"reject, negate or ignore them at your own peril."

As he says about his ideas on self defence. To me, very much, "if you dont do what i say, you dont stand a chance".

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

He's trying to sell himself. It's like a self defence Mcdojo. Except he won't give you a black belt.
    A major hole in his "stuff" is that he's saying that SD teachers and MA schools tout that they have the real "self defence", but he's saying the same thing about himself. I really have no interest in what he's saying, a lot of it is true, but it's nothing I didn't already know. I mean come on, I don't go to a bar precisely because I know that if I go it and something starts, shots are gonna be fired and I might get hit even if I didn't start it.
    I know my MA training will have limited street value, but his method doesn't seem to be any better.
    After all, you have only so many options when you're staring down the barrel of .45.

14. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Thanks scarlet mist. You managed to put into words what i couldnt.

15. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

This website and many threads seem to be about axe-grinding. Most martial arts instructors I have met are very sincere and very dedicated. My advice is NEVER rubbish anyone else's techniques unless you have consistently proved them wrong at first hand. In 40 years of practice I have few rules:
    Always check out the lineage of all teachers - Anyone can give him/herself a 9th dan but they can't falsify a lineage of masters - the longer and more prestigious the better.
    Test out the instructor and his/her students - does this stuff work??
    Does this style and this sensei suit me?
    Finally, once you have found a suitable art and teacher, stick with it!! Never expect quick results from anything worthwhile and don't skip from one martial art to another.
    Ten years of any good martial art will prepare you well as a student.
    Finally, finally, never trust any instructor who struts, poses and tells you to lose your own ego - while he boosts his own. Ignore the flash dojo and big talk - if the person is hollow so is the teaching. Seek out a modest person whose power effortlessly overwhelms you.

16. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

You sound like the old guy in a Kung Fu movie. "Seek out a modest person whose power effortlessly overwhelms you".

I disagree, instead seek out a good teacher who can teach well and does so.

17. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Marc McYoung just seems passionate about the martial arts and their place in self defence. Just like many others he is probably like this because he is bored to tears of people going on about how great their MA is without actually pressure testing it or its students.

It is difficult to start comparing arts because ultimately it is down to the individual's responses at the time that will win. As for effectiveness of system I think he is trying to point out that much that is taught as "self defence" is useless, because it has not been pressure tested and neither has the student. This is highlighted in his article concerning knife fighting.

As for your attitudes towards the man himself, does it really matter? You don't have to like your teacher to learn from them, especially as you're only learning from a written source. So I'd say take a very good look at what you have been learning and how much real life experience you have to judge it against.

18. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

MacYoung knows his stuff.

19. savage

savage New Member

hmmm
    i guess this means ill never be a true knife fighter
    oh well

20. Rojininstructor

Rojininstructor New Member

all of it (no nonesense) seems overly critical to me. and there seems to be a lot of chest beating....not to mention a little fear culture. He sounds like the very cults he speaks against....yet i am sure he knows what hes talking about, its just from his prespective and no one else's.