Realism in Techniques

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KungFooBoy80, Oct 20, 2003.

1. KungFooBoy80

KungFooBoy80 New Member

I know all forms have techniques that wont do a lot of damage and some that could kill a person. With the techniques that dont intend to do a lot of damage, it can be executed at full speed but what about the techniques intended to kill a person, break their limbs, do ligement or bone damage? I mean come on... Doing a technique intended to take someone's life can not be fully exucuted on a training partner. A great example of this would be the technique called 'Dance of Death,' in the Ed Parker's Kenpo ( Bill Packer's also." So with that in mind, how could you execute a tech. intended to take someone's life on a training partner? Also, isnt there a chance you might not execute that tech. in a street fight is you 'havent' practiced it at full force(since tech. should be executed at full force to be affective)?

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I laugh at people who say their techniques are too deadly for the ring or sparring. 'Oh, my system teaches eye jabs and groin kicks, but we can't practice them because they're too nasty...' - not a different tecnique to a punch or kick, just a different target area and if you can't punch someone in the face, there's nno way you're going to eye jab them. :rolleyes: There are some nasty ass techniques in BJJ, but they are still applied... people tap when they're on. :D

If I have never done a technique in sparring and got it to work, I won't be trying it out on the street. I'll be sticking to what I know works for me.

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Bon, I agree w/ you on part of what you say and part I don't.

On the "eye jab" I agree, I doubt I'd ever think to use it even in a desprite sit., and even though it is an optional target to fake a strike to when practicing.

On the kick to the "groin", I am sure that I would do that if the situation called for it. And that is because even though we pull kicks/strikes to the groin when practicing. I can picture doing them when I do bag work. So there is that mental connection. I know this is so because I've done the later by reflex when sparring but never think to do the former.

Did that make sense?:)

4. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I'm with Bon again,a lot of illegal strikes etc are just a matter of timing and distance,if you don't have that abiliity you won't be able to intergrate it into your movement.
    I think that it is important to be introduced to them in Drills or slow movement work,and understand the variety of situations and oppuntunities that different strikes/ targets can be used.But this can often be determined by your focus within MA,if you are SD orientated or Sport Orientated.

Submissions vs Breaks
    I think there a lot of breaks and throws that cannot be used as submissions. and again these can be trained in controlled drills.
    But all submissions can be breaks,and I think it(submission,tap outs) is a great way to train,so even if you miss out on some of the more (so called )"Deadly" tech,I think your probally getting enough stuff that will work,as you are seeing it work right here and now(as opposed to some dude telling you how the Grandmaster did it way back when...)

In the end I would call grabing someones balls and crushing them into paste a "Deadly tech" but I don't particularly need to train that.

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Just another thing
    Eye Jabs/finger thrusts (whatever you call them)
    I won't be too keen on them,rather would leave all the open hand stuff untill your real close and then its just a matter of raking and gougeing/grabing rather then trying to hit such a small target from distance with impact.If a dude can slip your jab,he'll be able to slip your finger jab/thrust.

6. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

agreed kat. In closer range no doubt an eye gouge can be well placed...or crushing the groin. hmm as for a submission/breaking technique that i've recently seen very well used is the wrist lock. I think it's not often seen in the NHB because there's no way you can tap if the person has applied it fast enough...either it breaks or the applicant let goes just as it's about to...I mentioned this on another thread.. I say people should train the wrist lock more for the streets or for the ring...i think it's underestimated.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

cal_JJJ, yeah. I agree with you too. I'm talking about people who practice it on their opponent slowly, but never do any contact sparring which does not seem to be all that uncommon these days.

Eye gouges and what not seem to be something I'd use when grappling with someone after I've established a good position on them I could maintain. I doubt I would use them though, because if I was in that position, I wouldn't consider it lift threatening enough to destory some guy's sex life or make him blind.