Real Martial Art! Rest is wrestling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Perplexion, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

Check-out You-tube: Warrior Islands of Blood , Time- 45:06 It is about the native Martial Arts of Hawaii. Maybe not considered legal. But I cannot keep it to myself. Check it out!

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

The art called Lua.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1n1hEs9pfI"]Warriors Islands of Blood - YouTube[/ame]

Lua is a bone-breaking form of personal defense that bears a surprising resemblance to modern Japanese martial arts.
    Lua is something of a big, economy-sized art, incorporating elements similar to those of karate, judo, jujutsu, aikido and kendo.

Two of several definitions for "lua" appropriately portray the discipline.
    The word "lua" can mean "pit," as "to pit in battle," or it can mean "two," expressing the duality involved in this Hawaiian martial art.

A similar duality in Hawaiian belief is embodied in Ku, considered the positive male god, and Hina, the negative female.
    Hawaiians believed by learning to balance life's negative and positive forces-the physical and spiritual, emotional and intellectual-a lua master, or 'olohe lua, could turn an opponent's energy into a force against the enemy himself.

This could also be seen as Yin & Yang, and the use of Qi in Asian martial arts.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. Perplexion

Perplexion Valued Member

Best Martial Art! I pit in my head against Krav Maga. Remember, In Israel, the danger level is high, so unlike others in isolation, Theirs is a nessessity. Do you know this Lua? I do not know what you look like so warn me so I can run!

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Or this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqmBecGPaU"]Bareknuckle MMA Fight: Bart Vale vs Mike Bitonio - YouTube[/ame]
    A lot of people are very critical of Vale because he's done shoot style works in Japan, but he shows some solid CACC skills.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interestingly (or should I say sadly) Mike Bitonio died ~ 3 years ago while training in his garage, age 45.

Sorry SB but I got sort of lost on what the connection was between the original post by the OP and this vid.

LFD

7. Ben Gash CLF

Mike Bitonio's style was Lua

8. Late for dinner

K thanks. Wasn't quite sure of that when I read his bio ... didn't come across as his having a particular style but there was a mention in one article on him studying Kapu Kuialua. It wasn't clear how much or for how long.

I think that one thing that might be missed here is that Bart Vale had 50 pounds on Bitonio and was able to do some mean head butts right off the bat. Take 2 competent grapplers and give one guy 50 pounds and there is a good chance that the bigger guy may well win. Bitonio had a lot of heart just to get on the mat with Bart Vale whatever he might have studied. Not sure I would be quite so fast to use this vid as a fair example of what his training was capable of producing. Maybe more of an example of what happens when you put good big guys against good little guys in NHB fighting.

Thanks for the clarification.

LFD

9. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Didn't know about this martial art. New thing learnt from MAP.

10. Ben Gash CLF

They specified his style in the feature bit before the fight (amazing what you remember nearly 20 years on). I thought Bitonio did some decent work actually, his big mistake was failing to adequately secure his top position (although admittedly tough against someone with Vale's power). Funnily Vale was unable to continue in the event because he concussed himself with the headbutts :D

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

You folks probably remeber this from back in the day:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa-HvJwtbaM"]Tank_Abbott_vs_Matua_Kuialua.flv - YouTube[/ame]

12. Late for dinner

I read some stuff by Matua discussing their training and their preparation before these fights. I think that they had trained realistically and hard but were just not ready for the onslaught that would happen in these events.

Johnny Matua on Mike Bitonio and their prep for their fights :

''Mike Bitonio and I were classmates and sparring partners at The Kapu Kuialua school. We had trained hard for my fight but it was still an unknown of what would happen. When I lost UFC6 I trained with Mike even harder. We started training in a cage similiar to UFC but round. With the rules at that time we learned how to work the cage to our favor. I only wished we had trained in the cage for my fight. Mike was a newcomer that wasn't even expected to even hold a candle to veteran Bart Vale's who I've been told had once knocked out Ken Shamrock in his earlier years. We had trained for hours every day and when I was lucky enough to get him in any kind of submission move he wouldn't even tap unless I was on the verge breaking his ankle or something. He is definately one of the hardest sparring partner I've ever had. I'm pleased to have been a part of his training for the fight against Bart Vale. It was definately one of the best fights on the tape. One thing that I remember about him is that he was half my size yet he was as strong as I was.''

http://www.amazon.ca/review/RFNCFH0ZHH69Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt/181-1167881-8098434#RFNCFH0ZHH69Y

LFD

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't think training in a cage would have made much difference as he got knocked stupid in about 12 seconds