Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think one of the reasons why teenage lads are more likely to get into fights is because they are more likely to get targetted by other teenage lads.

2. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

Exactly! :cool:

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Using 2010/2008 figures (couldn't get the stats on 2010 although 08-09 showed an 8% DROP in figures overall)

Uk population 2010 - 62,218,761

Assaults 2008 (actually one of the higher of recent years) - 961,188

Percentage likelihood = 1.5% (rounded out)

Now although the 16-24 age bracket is more likely to be assualted than any other, and even taking into account that not every assault gets recorded (which is offset by the fact that a lot of assaults are, to be blunt, horsecrap reports under "ethical recording standards"), the percentage likelihood is still minute

Does this mean you should not prepare? Hell no! But don't let your emotion or hyperbole dictate reality

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

At least you got a free haircut out of the deal.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yeah, but when we're slapping each other about and biting ears we've both failed as humans.

working in clubs for a few years you see plenty of fighting i can sniff it from a mile off which is a handy life skill, it all seems a bit sad after a while. The people who have nothing to do with it and get involved anyway interest me, i'd love to know what goes through their head.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Usually a fist...

7. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Immediately before the fist I'm betting it was a vision of themselves as JCVD.

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Thanks but no, thanks.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I guess my statement about it sounding like a movie plot gave it away :)

10. 47MartialMan

In part, I can agree. However, when I was young, I could avoid fights. However, I got into many back then compared to now

When I was young, the fights were not about self defense...no hardcore poking the eyes, hardcore weapons....

Fighting should not always be confused as self defense

11. Oddsbodskins

Him being a bit of a tool was part of the point :p

12. 47MartialMan

"A Tool"?

13. Oddsbodskins

M'm, yes, a philips screwdriver to be precise.

14. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Only once in my adult life have I been involved in a "real fight". My involvement then was limited to helping pull the combatants apart and helping to keep them apart. I learned three important lessons: (1) it's a great advantage to be the one sober guy in a fight, (2) the guy talking the loudest is the one least interested in actually fighting and will be the easiest to deal with, and (3) an insult wears off a lot faster than a head wound.

15. 47MartialMan

Those are handy

A screwdriver is also a alcoholic beverage

16. Oddsbodskins

As is a long, slow, comfortable screw against the wall, although I can never remember how to mix one. There's a screwdriver involved somewhere...

17. 47MartialMan

Therefore a "tool" is someone who is useful?

18. Counter Assault

Counter Assault Valued Member

I think Oddsbodskins means a left handed screwdriver you can pick one up at most hardware shops along with Holes for hole punches and a Long weight.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No. In American English it's an "idiot."

20. 47MartialMan

How can a tool, designed for a purpose, be idiotic?