Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And in response to the question - Thor forgive me - I have learned that as a rule of thumb

Mindset>experience>skill>size

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Let's have a sweepstake! Nearest answer to the time of his demise is the winner. I'll get the ball rolling with Tuesday at 6pm (GMT.)

3. Hannibal

Monday by 1900 GMT

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Are you serious....

This is like a plot to a movie.

I mean, this is bizzare and surreal

At what age were you.

This is far extreme than I had ever experienced

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

And after that other horrific post, nothing else you post about this subject would remotely be as hardcore

6. Hannibal

Big Boss aka Fists of Fury

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Ice blocks don't hit back.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Psstt...

[​IMG]

9. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I think 47MartialartMan was joking..

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I hope he was joking ............

11. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

My most serious fight was a long time ago. I slew a thousand enemies using only the jawbone of an ass for my weapon - it was legendary!

After that I met this crazy chick called Delilah. Sad to say, my pro-fighting career went downhill from that point on.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

A voice in your head told you to.

13. StevieB8363

Actually, the voice that directed me to Delilah came from a little lower down...

Thumping those barbarians was, I'll admit, just bad attitude on my part.

They sure don't make jawbones like they used to!

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

So how's the demolition career going? Can't be easy for a blind guy.

15. StevieB8363

I do pretty well. The hard part is learning to read construction blueprints in Braille.

After that it's just a question of applied pressure!

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

torn between giving real answers and having fun...

i'll play nice, i've learned that there's no winners when we're fighting.
    i've learned that being glassed hurts more than being bottled.
    i've learned that MA experience has very little to do with anything 90% of the time.
    a mate with a bar stool is far more helpful than any amount of training.

17. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

All of you now talk about avoiding fights with the wisdom you collected over the years, but you still have to consider that there are teenagers out there that just don't think like that. Neither did most of you. Its easy to say: "Best thing to do is not to fight at all". I mean what you say is absolutely right. Best thing you could do is to avoid the fight, but that is not easy when you are 16 or 17... First of all, chances of being involved into a situation that may end up in a brawl is far more higher than when you are 30+. Secondly, at that age kids have hormones rushing through their bodies and they do not think straight. They react instinctively. Also, there is that alpha male BS. :) Fights, whether they like it or not, will probably happen and be a part of their growing up, so giving some advice besides wisdom's like "avoid it" could be useful.

What I learned from fights is that you must expect anything. People will not fight by any rules and will go for eyes, growing, they will bite, they will grab a weapon, they will have friend jumping in and punching you while you are not looking, etc. You should try to react first and disable the threat as soon as possible. That means, punch first and finish what you started quickly. No mouthing off... If you are outnumbered, punch the meanest one and run as fast as you can. If you cannot escape try to damage at least one of them and pray that they will not injure you badly... One thing you also have to consider. It is not just you that can get hurt when in a fight. I have a friend who served some time for severely injuring one guy. He didn't know when to stop and the guy was hospitalized for several weeks. That used to scare me a lot. Some people just loose it once they get into a fight and do not know when to stop.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  18. StevieB8363

While I respect your views, I would consider myself a winner if I came out with my face more-or-less intact, and all my teeth still in my head. If that means running like a thief then so be it!

To me, self-defence means "keeping yourself in one piece". It doesn't have anything to do with injuring they other guy.

Indeed. I am 36. It's been over 10 years since I've been in any situation that could possibly lead to a fight! (Not that I've ever been in a real one.)

On the other hand, an aquaintance of mine was once mugged - he walked around a corner and was immediately attacked by two men - no warning or verbal confrontation. Sometimes things just happen, awareness/avoidance don't come into it. If it was possible to avoid all fights then we would study MA, not SD.

Please note: I don't claim any insight/experience here - I'm just pointing out that some people are morons and there's no other way of dealing with them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Hannibal

No it really IS that easy - the vast majority...and I mean VAST majority...of teens never get within a sniff of a real fight.

Same for adults actually

20. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

That also has to do a lot with where you are geographically. Some areas of this world are nice but some just aren't. Simple as that. Although I agree with 99% of the things you write, with this I just cannot agree.