Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

To you anyone who stays alert as to what's going on around him isn't normal either.

Say "Baaa".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv9dX1WFzS4"]BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - YouTube[/ame]

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So small pocket knives can't hurt anyone? I guess .22 caliber pistols can't hurt anyone either since they're small.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Huh? Weird way to end a convo. I think you're taking this all a bit too personally. It is possible to agree to disagree. Sleep it off and come back another day. No harm no foul... just differing viewpoints.

Slip

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#Canada

Not disagreeing or anything, just wanted to add on some info.

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Moving away from the slightly more emotive way the conversations gone, the whole knife thing is one that, in the UK, seems bizarre to me. I mean I grew up in the country, got my first victorianox when I was ten and always carried one from then on, came in handy for all sorts of thing, and my favorite was probably the daftly impractical victorianox with the 3" locking blade (actually quite handy for playing with snares and so on though). All my life I always knew my dad carried his pocket knife everywhere he went, and my mum's carried a folder for the last twenty years. It's a tool, like any other, and we treat it as such. To be honest there are far more dangerous things in the average toolshed.

Of course I don't carry one in the city, I'm male, in my twenties and train in a weapons based martial art, I know how it would look to a court if I was stopped for something and found to be carrying a knife, I'd get done for a deadly weapon. What gets me is why it looks that way. When did a knife stop being a tool? My cousin, who's lived in a city his whole life, got what I think was an awesome present from my folks for his 21st. They gave him a travel towel, a nice folding pocket knife and a USB drive with the address of every British embassy stored on it. I thought that was pretty neat, and also a sneaky Ford Prefect reference. He got massively offended, and was from the sounds of it actually pretty offensive, kicked up a massive fuss about 'why would they give him a knife?' Now maybe if he's going to act like that he shouldn't have one anyway, but I get a bit ****ed when people are rude to my mum. Anyway I digress, and thankfully I wasn't there at the time or it probably would have wound up as some major family falling out. But what I'm wondering is why there is this perception of knives as horrible, deadly, dangerous offensive weapons in the UK. Even something that would break off if it tapped a rib, if it's a knife, it's TERRIBLE! Is it just the way the media play things? Is it the daft approach the government take to over-regulate these things? What do people reckon?

Also if anyone could explain to me how come my cousin is a ****y little bitch that'd be good too...

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think the answer is actually quite straightforward. There are far too many young lads dying from stabbings - especially in London. If people weren't using knives as weapons then it would be possible for people to carry them as tools. But with so many lads dying, something has to be done about it. Which inevitably means that even people such as yourself are restricted in what you can and can't carry around with you, unfortunately.

I'll have to get back to you on that one!

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I carry a little leatherman. Theoretically I could kill someone with it (it has a 2 inch blade and some scissors that could get the jugular) but realistically not.
    What I don't get about people that carry a knife as a "tool" is why they don't carry what I carry?
    It can do all the things a folding knife can do (and a lot more) but can't be used for SD. It's more versatile.
    My suspicion is that they want to carry a knife to feel "protected" and so use the "it's a tool" as an excuse for that.*

*Not directed at anyone in this thread in particular!

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Humm, yes I suppose so Johnno, I suppose it's more the way people perceive them that I can't entirely get my head around. It's possibly just a matter of upbringing, but even an innocuous knife gets such a visceral reaction from most city folks that it continually throws me.

And point PASmith, although leatherman knives were a little out of my budget when I was wee. I'd still be hesitant about carrying one, because I'm not sure of the rules of this situation and this mindset, what's a weapon and what's a tool? It all seems alien enough to me that I prefer to play it cautious.

Although does bring another point to light, presumably my stance on not carrying knives would sit well with Kid Moe, if he's still knocking about, but my reason not to is just as unlikely as being attacked. I've never been stopped or searched by the police yet so what would make me think it's likely to happen? I've been though a few situations which involved talking people down or avoiding it some other how, so which is more likely?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have to say my awareness is pitched somewhere between Kuma and Hannibal's level and Kid's.
    I don't go out of my way to sit without my back being to a door or near an emergency exit, that seems to far for "normal" life, but I most certainly watch who's around me at the cashpoint, if anyone's near my car when I get back to it, alleyways and such in the dark etc.
    I was monitoring this as I walked back from the shopping centre this lunch time and my awareness goes up and down as determined by my current situation.
    When I've ascertained that I'm in a low threat situation my awareness goes down.
    When I'm doing something (like getting my phone out for example) my awareness goes up a bit.

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Other than needing it in your profession (Like Hannibal mentioned) or going camping or something, what reason would you have to carry a knife and what have/would you use it for?

11. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

For cutting things. You should always have a knife on you.

12. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Hangnails/minor surgery. Apples. Seatbelts in an accident. Genuine first aid, if you've got the certs. Athletic tape. Pretty much any jammed object. Whittling/carving. Opening blister packaging or sealed plastic bags without a mess.

These are all off the top of my head and while most you won't encounter today you can find uses for one pretty regularly if you have one with you. I end up using mine just about every day for pretty mundane tasks. Most I could do without it but it does make life easier and cleaner.

13. CrowZer0

I think anything above 3 inches is illegal in the UK. I've never had the need for one.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You see that's my point. You can do all of that with a very inoffensive leatherman.
    Splinters in particular can be got with the tweezers.

Didn't Slip essentially save a kids life because he had a folder on him?

15. CrowZer0

Never had to deal with most of that, but interesting.

Side note, why do people cut their apples? I bite into it.

16. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I do too. I don't know. Some people prefer it without the peel or would rather not bite around the core, I guess.

17. Instructor_Jon

I am kind of a survival buff (I know it's a little off topic). I did an experiment once based on the advice of a friend.

Spend a night in the woods with nothing but the everyday items you have in your pockets.

Then spend a night in the woods without the knife and see the difference.

The difference was huge! I tried to knap a rock into a cutting implement I was so desperate. I eventually ended up using a broken bottle, very carefully.

You should always have a knife.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You realise there are countless millions of people that walk around without knives right?
    They don't die in some sort of Lord of the Flies scenario.

19. Instructor_Jon

Yes of course :)

20. Instructor_Jon

I also know that about three of those countless millions ask to borrow my knife almost every single day.