Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

So, when you go out and your friend opens a jacket to show you his two or three knives and a koga or kubotan hidden with him, that makes sense to you? Honestly now?

2. Kid Moe

Yeah, yeah.. Instead of arguing your point you again quote some worn out phrases...

Question. Quite direct. Why do you carry two or more knives when you go out? I especially emphasize two or more? Although for me, even one is one too many...

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not sure what you're on about. Most people I know that carry a knife don't open their jacket to show it off. If they are then you can pretty much guess they're the type to get cut with their own knife. So rhetorical questions don't really add anything to the conversation...

4. Kid Moe

So you just want to make me rephrase it? OK... What would you say if you knew that a friend sitting next to you in a pub has two knives, koga and a kobutan in his possession. Boys will be boys? You saying that carrying pocket knives and BB guns when you are 11 doesn't add much to discussion as well but still there it is... Point is that a GROWN MAN aged 38 should not carry two or three knives when leaving house. Or you disagree?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Easy. One is typically and EDC - this is my "go to" piece of kit for any of the THREE types of purpose I listed (which you still have not responded too because you prefer this ass-backward logic tract).

The other - if I carry two - is either my "last ditch" tool should things go down hill or else is a more substantial sheath knife, typically geared towards backwoods/outdoor work. This is usually if I am going to be in the woods/outdoors with my dogs as my sheath knifes - whilst deployable combatively - are more aligned to bushcraft/survival.

Will I be willing to use a blade on another person - absolutely. But I never have yet and I hope I never will. Same for my gun. But I am ready ADN able to deploy it shoudl need arise.

For some reason you cannot perceive how someone can be prepared so throroughly for a minority event whilst being rational. Your issue, not mine

I also like how you cannot argue against the position and have resorted to ad hominem such as "grow up". Evasions duly noted

My personal collection consists over well over 65 pieces - folders, fixed blades, axes, hawks, throwers, machetes and swords. I love weaponry - the history, art, function and feel. Few things hobby-wise make me get excited more than a new blade and carrying one is no more unsual to me than wearing any ther piece of jewelry or clothing. It is just something I always have - should I need it for ANY purpose it is on me...and I am prepared for the bottom line should that be required. I see nothing wrong in that

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

As an aside, it is common to carry knives in many countries for all of the reasons Hannibal mentioned. I used to make whistles out of tree branches as a child, cut string, etc...
    As an adult in France I was invited to have a knife to carry with me so I had something clean to eat with no matter where I went. It wasn't unusual to see someone with a large knife outside when in the bush or working around the garden.

It's not the weapon, it's the intention that counts.

Personally I was kind of shocked that there is so much knife paranoia here in the UK considering the relative small part of the population that is involved with knife crime..
    I was not impressed when my infant school kids came home saying only bad people carry knives :' S

Can't comment on the number of knives carried but carrying a knife, full stop, should not be a problem if people are reasonable.

LFD

7. Kid Moe

I love how you from a sentence that until they allow you to carry a firearm you will carry two or three knives come to wood chipping and skipping through forest with your dogs. Brilliant! No comment. So you do not carry two or three knives when you go out for a night out in town? I can safely presume that?
    I will never no unless the criminal enters my home as I will NEVER have knives on me when I go out for a night in town. Here, only criminals and ones looking for trouble do that. If someone were to say that he stabbed some guy my first question would be "What were you doing with a knife?"
    Carrying knives while out in town is not being prepared and not normal. Or I am in some twilight zone here.... Carrying knives can result in death and injuries when someone who has an itch carries them. You say that you are reasonable person? I do not even want to check... In my book, and I would say most people I know carrying two or three knives when going out to a bar is just plain unacceptable!

8. slipthejab

No real need. I get where you're coming from. I just can't figure out why you think such a snippy attitude is necessary for a simple convo about knives. No one is forcing you to carry one so I don't understand why all the flap. You're entirely free to not carry one. You're entirely free to not agree with anyone that does... but why let the conversation degenerate into some sort of silly snippy schism.

Hmm... most times how would I even know? I certainly don't go into full on exhibition mode if I have a knife on me. Why would they?

Err... I think you need to go back and read what was being said. :rolleyes:

A grown man (eg. adult) has the right to carry whatever he wants on him as long as he's not in contravention of the law in his area regarding weapons. I leave the house most days with a knife. Now, judging from your posts in your mind that means I've got some 8 inch rambo knife stuffed into my waist band or some such nonsense. But in reality and aside from the rhetoric and hyperbole that you're going for the gold with... it's a pocket knife. It's called a pocket knife because it goes into my pocket. If I'm on a job on set then I'll usually have one or more on me. There will always be one on my work belt in addition to my pocket knife.

Again it's not nearly as big or as dramatic as you're trying to make it out. It's really not. I grew up seeing my dad carry a knife... most of my boyhood friends carried knives growing up.... and my grandfather (a cop) carried a knife growing up which the then passed on to my mom... which I've just purchased one similar to.

Methinks thou does protest a tad much.:rolleyes:

9. Hannibal

And agin - in case KM fails to read again - I AM prepared to deploy it offensively.

To date never have had to, but you would be amazed at how quick I can open containers or lop a branch down to a walking stick

10. Hannibal

blah, blah, blah - yet more hyperbole and reading comprehension failure.

Short of a pop up book, here is the clearest version - When I am allowed to carry a gun off-duty I will carry that AND my blade and koga. One is not a replacement for the other.

11. Kid Moe

Why don't you equip your kid with couple of knives then? Once he is 18 at least. Will you?

12. Hannibal

I know several ways to kill an individual with my bare hands - should I lop themn off too?

Here is another way to look at it - what will you do if you are confronted with an individual attacking you with a knife or other weapon? Tell him that you don;t believe it is normal?

13. Kid Moe

Since you all perceive that carrying knives is quite normal I really have nothing more to say here. When I talk about knives, I talk about knives that could hurt people and be deployed in combat (ones Hannibal is carrying). I do not speak about small pocket knives. He said that until getting a gun he will carry knives? He did not mean pocket knives so nobody was mentioning them from beginning but everybody is softening things up now and talking about cutting trees, making flutes, taking nature walks with dogs, etc.

It is a scarey fact that that there are obviously so many people out there that carry knives and are ready to deploy them. You might be reasonable guy but there are millions of people out there that aren't. We have stabbings almost weekly here and for me the reason for that is that people carry knives.

But all of you now say I am using hyperbole's and you are all actually carrying small knives which you use for heroic deeds. Hannibal's original statement had nothing to do with that!

Yeah... You should be registered as a weapon... I can imagine.
    I will run away from you as fast as I can. ;)

14. slipthejab

It's the second time in this thread I've seen this from you. Will you actually stand by your word? It'll make it a lot less tedious for everyone involved. :hat:

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i have the delta dart neckknife too!

16. Hannibal

I should have shares in Cold Steel.....

Did you get that link to the BRH knife in the other thread btw?

17. Kid Moe

I will stand by my word... I realize now that MAP is only for obeying, agreeing, yes men... Thanks, but no thanks... Put "moved on" below my nickname as I will not return (Not saying that it will bother anyone)... You can all join hands, sing along and spill wisdom you collected from books over those fortunate enough members willing to listen to it... And if someone gets called for his ridiculous/outrageous statement, you all jump in and minimize the damage by rationalizing (the last refuge for guilty mind) and watering down what was being said...

And Hannibal. I have one photo for you for goodbye.

[​IMG]

Thank you for everything.

Best Regards,

Kid Moe

18. Hannibal

I cannot see the photo from this PC.

Sad that you are leaving simply because we have what amounts to a perception disagreement. You are being called out on the flaws in your argument, nothing more - taking it personally is a little awry.

If you see knives as intrinsically bad there is little that could move you to think otherwise - I hope you never are in a position to need one and not have it. Me, I have one and hope I never need it...outside of cardboard boxes and branches

If you do not return I wish you well. If you do...I still wish you well. These are boards for discussion - nothing more or less

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

peace be with you kid moe.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you just have a firearm and they don't listen, your only other option is to shoot. It's exactly the same in Hannibal's case.

In the US it's perfectly legal in most states to carry knives on your person, and I imagine it's the same in Canada.

Funnily enough, I carry a knife everywhere I go as well. We had an officer a few years ago get disarmed of his firearm by a felon who was attempting to kill him, but fortunately he had a knife as back up and stabbed him several times in the stomach. That knife saved that officer's life that day.