Reacurring nightmares.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bum-eyes, Jan 5, 2006.

1. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

Almost every time I fall asleep, I have terrible nightmares where I see my friends and family die disgusting horrible deaths. I used to hate it the most because I wasn't there to help them, but then I realised that it was actually me killing them, like I'm posessed or something. Every time, another loved one dies, and the images get stuck in my head all day.

They started on Dec 27, I think, and now I'm quite honestly too afraid to sleep. I've been having coffie, but it loses a lot of it's effectiveness after a while...

Can anyone help me out here?

2. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Man i used to have the same kind of things a few months ago. It really did freak me out. They lasted a few weeks but went away after. It can be caused by stress and also because u keep worrying about these nightmares. I suggest u get some R&R and just do stuff that will keep your mind of these things. They should go away soon. :D

3. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

So far I've tried reading my Bible, eating comfort food(mars bars & a whole chicken, mainly), staying awake, talking about it, and just trying not to think about it. None of this seems to be working.

What I'm going to try now is think about zombies a lot. Sounds strange but I really used to enjoy my zombie dreams. I'd be swarmed by an army of living dead, hack a few apart with an axe or thwack them around with a steel pipe or whatever, and then they'd eat me. It gave me a rush so I wake up already energized, and it didn't really freak me out because I was the only one who died. I'm not afraid of my own death, only my friends and family's.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  4. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Try changing your avatar for starts :)

I would advise you to eat healthier food as well - try fruits and vegetables - and maybe read something with a bit less guilt and damnation in it.

You can go the other way and fight it head-on by watching Million Dollar Baby, Peter Jackson's Braindead and Eraserhead in a row, but don't blame me for whatever happens if you do that!

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i have re-occuring dreams all the time...

main ones:

*fighting in a war
    *playing in a arcade and there's this one machine i go to which always gives me loads of cash
    *terminator 2 style, i get caught up in a nuclear blast... hot hot hot!

oh, its bullsh*t when people say you cant die in your dreams... i've died a few times and its a weird fuzzy/warm feeling lol. i just wake up and go into another dream

6. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

BE -

All the times I've had recurring nightmares, I have been under a lot of stress. Actually, I started having my longest-lasting recurring nightmares about 6 months after the stress ended (kind of a delayed reaction/post tramatic whatever). Origami was right about the rest and relaxation. I'd keep up with the Bible reading, though--you know the encouragement and comfort it holds, and reassurance of God's faithfulness in unsteady, stress-filled times always helps in any situation.

Do you have a prayer group (doesn't have to be anything formal, just some friends who know how to pray) that you can discuss this with and get some prayer support?

7. gogz

gogz Crom!

I've died in my dreams too, been shot with a crossbow lol.

I also get sleep paralysis and hag phenomena is usually involved in my paralysis aswell, its a pain in the ass :D and sometimes pretty scary

gogz

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

you clearly got some issues, see a shrink

9. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I married Dolly Parton in one of mine, this reacuring dream that lasted 2 days, and I don't even like country music. :p

10. Incredible Bulk

must be the blonde hair and big boobs that do it for you then :love: :D

11. Davidle1

Davidle1 Valued Member

I say do the opposite watch funny movies...like ground hog day

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ive been having some freaky dreams the last couple of weeks over the crimbo break. Ive been having like 2 or 3 real vivid dreams a night and not sleeping well because of them. Ive just put it down to restlessness over the holiday.

In the last couple of weeks ive;

cheered my bro on in a MA tornament, though he dosent do MAs!.

Had all my teeth fall out. That was awfull, actually ive had that one 2 times.

Had a fight with a hill-billy a little like one out of the film wrong turn. No matter how hard i hit him he just wouldnt go down.

Went to a strip club with some guys ive never met in my life!.

Got jumped in the dark by a real scary looking old lady with a shovel. She chased me and no matter how fast i ran, i just couldnt get away. So i turned to face her and she hit me and i woke up.

And last night i was at somewhere like Alton towers with some of my friends and some random people who i dont know who the hell they were!. Anyway i was on a coster, a little like the Air ride, and the carraige i was in came off the rails and flew in the air. When i awoke it was one of these ones when your glad you were dreaming. :eek:

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

change your diet. try to pinpoint what would cause them. and make the realization that you'd never do those things to your family. or you could just act them out by playing Manhunt for a few hours. Might want to actually see a shrink if it keeps up for more than a few weeks.
    I had recurring dreams that my fiancee stabbed me in the throat with a screwdriver, after we broke it off they lasted about 2 weeks.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you had a fiance at 16?

15. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

They'll probably settle..but

Things that wont help or will make things worse
    1. Coffee
    2. Alcohol
    3. Avoiding sleeping

Things that will help
    1. Allowing time to pass - they'll probably settle on their own
    2. Sleep hygiene measures - google it
    3. Keep a notebook by your bed - write the nightmares down. Some people find that this gets the nightmares out of you and into 'objective' space, where you can look at it coolly later in the day
    4. Work on alternative endings to the nightmares - write them down.
    5. If it persists for more than a month or you get any other significant symptoms - low mood, loss of energy, loss of interest or pleasure, palpitations, sweats, or you start to withdraw socially or stop functioning at school/work, see your doctor

16. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I had a dream that all my hair fell out

17. Incredible Bulk

you look kinda bald in your avatar though :confused:

i've dreamt i've lost teeth before :eek:

18. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

ARRRG!!! IT CAME TRUE!!!!

19. Incredible Bulk

this is what happens when you come from a serious debate thread, sense of humour malfunction lol... i feel a bit on the slow side :D

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

17, yeah i know, bad idea. :bang: