re niinpo and bjj

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dead_pool, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

But does the Takamatsuden have effective jujutsu now?

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Nah, Pat Smith just had a really nasty cramp.

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

What are you talking about? Where did I ever say I resented anybody? The argument put out by some is intellectual dishonest is all(that and the fact that Rorion masterminded the competition to pursue his personal goals). For it to be pure and fair, Royce would've had to have never fought a pure striker. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't know ground fighting or that the Gracie's suck. Grappling has also been quite well known to the West for quite some time(read centuries).

4. Please reality

Those who have to ask will probably never find out unless they are asking the right ojiisantachi(old guys).

5. Dead_pool

What definition of fair are you using?

I would use the word fair to imply that the rules shouldnt artificial shape the event.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's like an extra line in your sig?

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Then what is your disagreement? Rorion decided to put an idea up, gambling that who ever Art Davie would be able to afford to turn up would know little about his obscure ground based art, it turned out to be true, but since then anyone who has had success in the cage, with a small handful of notable exceptions has had to know some jiu jitsu in order to remain competitive, it doesn't mean that Royce would have been any less knocked out had Jimmerson cracked him in the chops.

8. Please reality

The rules always shape the event. In this case, so did one of the competitor's brothers.;)

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

How did the rules impede anyone in their style?

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So what did he want and apparently get?

11. Dead_pool

What rules?

Aside from being one on one and unarmed, ufc didnt have rules.

12. Dead_pool

".The two rules, no biting or eye gouging, were to be enforced only by a $1,500 fine. The match only ended bysubmission,*knockout, or the fighter's cornerthrowing in the towel. Gloves were allowed, as Art Jimmerson showed in his Quarterfinal bout against Royce Gracie, which he fought with one boxing glove. Fights consisted of unlimited 5 minute rounds until a winner was decided. "

Sounds like all your points are Invalid.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's not fair because the Gracie wasn't restrained :D

But then again none of the strikers had ever fought a bound opponent and Rorion was doing some unspecified meddling so GJJ probably still would've won because it was so unfair. Not to mention those professional strikers with championship level wins and Shamrock and Severn were definitely not high calibre competition.

[/sarcasm]

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

What they should have done is have everyone in Sneakers, jeans and sport coats (Denver in November after all), and made them fight on an enclosed basketball court, that would have been realistic.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

This post began as a message to Please reality. But the longer I contemplate that, the less sensible that feels. So instead I'm addressing it to MAP at large:

This is the internet. There really isn't a way to get someone in the corner and force them into engaging. I'm not saying that Please reality is a troll. But I am saying that, similar to trolling, the only satisfaction you're likely to get out of that interaction is in beating up on him a bit. And, frankly, I think we can do better than that. I don't think it reflects well on MAP as a community or us as individuals.

This isn't a mod action. It's a suggestion from a fellow poster. Roll your eyes, by all means. But then go and engage in proper discussion with someone willing to do so. Exchanges like this one are a slow road to nowhere.

Just my view.

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

to quote art davie in the book the gracie way, the search for fighters we tried to get was harder than he thought it was going to be to "we tried to get dennis alexio, he said no,we then asked ernesto hoost, same answer, we even asked james bonecrusher smith, but he also turned us down." page 83 said book

on Royce fighting in the event, also a quote from davie in the book same page "at the time rickson and rorion were beginning to have difficulties so rorion decided royce would fight, , i thought he was crazy i said what about rickson he is the family champion", but rorion wanted good drama

so much for the conspiracy theories, they wanted better strikers but none would take part, rickson was the family champion but rorion wanted more drama and a smaller lighter fighter

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

He just did name a real sumo.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Also Koji Kitao and Akebono

And what was Royce's record against boxers? 0-0
    Against Submission Wrestlers? 0-0
    Against Savateurs? 0-0

After the event 3-0

The argument holds zero credibility

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

20. Please reality

Listen, it is very simple. Nobody said there was a conspiracy, just that Rorion did the things I said he did. There is a book and article that go into that. He did change brackets, end of story and used the UFC to promote the Gracie's. Don't see why there is an issue with that, that doesn't change the fact that MMA is now the most popular style.

So they couldn't afford top level strikers? Fine, more the reason the early UFC wasn't what many claim it to be. No conspiracy, they just didn't have the top tier strikers representing their arts. It would be interesting to see if a world champ boxer fought with a world champ MMA but it definitely wasn't going to happen then with such small purses.

Where did you get Royce's record information? He had a 51-3 amateur record, so you are claiming that was only against fellow jujutsu practitioners?

That is a version of the Rickson/Rorion debate. There are others. Watch "The Gracies: Birth of Vale Tudo" for another.