Rbsd

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jsmith, Aug 4, 2006.

1. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but what is the difference between reality based self defence, and plain old self defence? When I was a kid all I ever heard used was self defence, now it's RBSD this and RBSD that. Is is just a cool sounding way of saying self defence, or is there a difference?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think the distinction comes in that much of what was taught as 'self defense' for years was pretty much rubbish. Lots of TMA style blocks and such for dealing with an attacker.
    Lots of 'self defense' programs designed by people with little real world experience in dealing with the nastier people in this world.

Supposedly RBSD means that there has been a big rethink on how to deal with attacks. No more attempts to take out 7 knife wielding linebackers by practicing the a particular form for hours on end. No more one-shot-one-kill Kung Fu strikes to the some nerve that no one ever found or could find...

You get the idea... much in RBSD has been taken from the people who deal at the frontlines of violent confrontation... the police... to a lesser extent soldiers. There has been more of an emphasis on what happens to your body physiologically in the event of an attack - as opposed to social hour in white pajama's. :D

There has been some good stuff written in the last 10 years on adrenalin stress response and self-defense.

Anyhow - that's my take. I could be way off base. So just remember that and $2.50 will get you a cup of Starbucks. :D

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Doesn't sound like a dumb question to me

4. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Most RBSD deal with issues your standard karate/kung fu dojo don't cover in their self defense curriculum.

Legal issues, locations of attacks, weather, psycological factors, simplicity of response, training in clothing you normally wear.