Razgriz /TKD/Personal Fitness

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Razgriz, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Thought I would start one of these up mainly for a way of keeping track also it allows some critique if someone see's me doing something stupid,which I won't rule out.

Little History
    Me: 21 year old male, 187CM, 77KG, awarded 1 st Dan in 2006 Under Mstr Kenneth Murdoch. 2006-2008 I was on and off working with another 5th dan in the area who I got on with a lot better, I found the former somewhat of McDojo.

2008, I started my current career path which made it hard to do TKD,in 2010 took part in the TAGB English Championships, won the first 2 rounds got beat in the third.

Current Day: I am situated in the North of the UK, nearby enough to Sen Master Williamson's class, though I was a little sad to see that one of the 2 sessions a week is only 1 hour long.

Though I will, make contact and try and get myself back into some sort of training regime.

My goal over the next 2 months is to be fluent in all patterns and techniques required of a 1st dan.

Luckily I have full gym membership and the keys to get in so thats a handy ally, I plan to get the video's of patterns from youtube and download them to ye old I phone, and practise from there.

On the Fitness Side

I will be doing marathon training for the first 6 weeks to build up cardio base, this is is basically what you can find here. Running 1-2 miles on Mon-Wed-Fri swimming or biking Tue-Thurs. Then gradually it increases over time by week 6 your doing 5 miles on the run days. Week 3 is a non run week, there are also some off days etc, but I will update it here.

Coupled with this I will be doing the press up work out, which I have done before and will also help in the areas I wish to focus on.

This first 6 weeks is really about getting a good baseline of fitness and upper body strength before starting some more targeted work.

Diet as well will be logged.

I realised the other day after digging out my old "stuff" how much TKD books and equipment I have so I have enjoyed reading through some of the old books.

For Now,

Yours Aye

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Always good to look back at old resources. :)

Which town/city are you closest to?

Mitch

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Hi there,

Close to Elgin, in Morayshire.

Raz

4. Mitch

Ah, way oop north :D I was just wondering if there might be a decent TAGB club near you, but there's nothing that far up.

Mitch

5. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Yea, something I noticed when I got here lol.

I was quite happy with the stuff I learned at the TAGB club and very thankful to the Instructor who knew I'd only be there for a short time.

There is a club ran by an 8th dan near by so will give that one a go.

6. Mitch

Who was it you trained with?

Mitch

7. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Alan Quinlan and Jeremy Smith

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. Mitch

Ah, not names I know, but glad you had a good experience :)

Mitch

9. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

sounds good chap and pleased to meet you, id strongly chuck in, never miss the swim, a great healer and body toner, best of luck with progress

10. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

From Friday went to the gym at 2230 last night with the intention of doing some pattern revision followed by bag work.

Well, some observations-

Im stiff and out of touch massively. I had downloaded some Ytube's of a Polish 5th dan running through all the coloured belt patterns. So this was a really handy reference tool.

So, Chong-Ji, Dan Gun and Do San I worked on, got the sequence of moves back in mind, did this mixed with some stretching, and before I knew it , it was nearly midnight.

So I headed back, without doing any bag work >.<, I think its more important to get a grounding first though and there is always tonight.

Raz

11. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Today been a relax day, though this has given time for some more reading.
    Trying to get caught up with whats happening in the world of UK TKD. Getting a bit lost so many affiliations and separate bodies kind of sad.

Tomorrow Ill go do some more pattern work with stretching possibly bag work, though as Monday is the "start" I am tempted not to do so much.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a tournament calendar?

Iv'e also been reading up on the GM Rhee situation, its kind of sad but also a good thing I think that he just wants to teach TKD and thats about it. I will en devour once I get back on my feet to travel to one of his seminars should he do one.

At my first school I had the chance to attend a seminar taught by him, as well as one by Master Sahota though the latter I cant remember much of.

I still hope that TKD is not wrapped in so much political BS , especially at a time when we should be benefiting from Olympic success.

Raz

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Its now 0150 , only writing this because I need to fresh my eyes a bit. Reading the Encyclopedia TKD feeling quite inspired.

That is all.

13. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

2 mile run-15.03
    2 miles cycled (I do this every day for work though I will include it as its still 10 miles a week)
    25/200 press ups done so far for today.
    Diet wise,
    2 baby bell's , one bree and bacon baguette (not processed bacon or bree)
    1 protein shake
    1 banana

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  14. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Tired lol
    Ok today
    2 mile cycle as standard, 50 press ups. Done "something" to my left shoulder so going easy on these at the moment.

First TKD class in YEARS.

Was very good, just to get back into it. Phone Sm Williamson ahead of the class, he was fine for me to come down and to wear TAGB outfit, with BB. So that was cool.
    Explained I have forgotton most patterns but working on them in the gym, did the usual stretching, following by a step-step run through of Gae Bek and Kwang Gae.

This felt weird, but I could do the individual moves, the stances etc without much difficulty, just a case of remembering the patterns themselves.

This was followed with some pad work, which I really enjoyed,then the 1hr 30 was done.

Sparring on Thursday, which is my "thing".
    Was also informed there are the Scottish Championships 22nd September, if I get my shet together Ill compete, if not I'll watch.

Raz

15. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

2 miles cycling
    2 miles running , 1 mile in 6 minutes 30 second fast walk (9km/h) then restart and 1 mile in 5:43

Did a bit of core body work, plank, side plan, leg raises etc.

Have sparring tomorrow. Also doing a bleep test run through on Friday heard its good for training anaerobic.

Raz

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yo!

what exactly does the "press up workout" consist of, besides press ups of course :p

if it's just press ups, you might want to add some pull-ups or chin-ups to that to keep your shoulders healthy (speaking from experience here, you don't want to spend significant amounts of time with your shoulder joint flexed, as it'll shorten your anterior deltoid, which is a pain in the **** to fix).

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

On even days you do 200 press ups. By bigger sets, 75/50/25
    On Odd days you do 200 by smaller push ups. 20 or 10

You do this for 10 days, then do none for 4 days. See how many you can do in a minute after this 14 days it normally increases by about 30%

Last time I went from 52 to 73.

Raz

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

definitely do some pull-ups as well, then. your shoulders will thank you in the long run.

19. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Amount/Frequency?

Thanks
    Raz

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Eric Cressey and other 'shoulder' people recommend that for every rep of a pushing exercise you do, you should balance it out with at least 2 reps of a pulling exercise (in some cases 3 reps).