Rayshard Brooks shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Van Zandt, Jun 15, 2020.

1. windwalker

windwalker Member

For sidearms there are different levels of holsters that provide different levels of Security for drawing a weapon.

This is supposed to prevent others from drawing the weapon. A little surprised the tasers are not designed in the same way.

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  2. ned

ned Valued Member

From what I've read the standard issue tasers fire one shot but can then be used as a direct contact hand held stun gun.

There are multiple shot tasers that have been developed like this Russian repeater for 'personal protection'.
    Think it's a prototype though, not sure if it'd ever make it on to the market.

David Harrison likes this.
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Brooks wrestled it from the officer's hands after it had already been drawn.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Agree on all points here.

It's a tragic case. But, like you said, I think the officer's sacking and the chief's resignation were not because the use of force was unjustified, instead they were to appease the mob. It's crazy. So many people saying Brooks was 'murdered for sleeping in his car' or 'just for being black.' Absolutely mind boggling that people can watch the footage and genuinely believe that.

Grond and windwalker like this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This is my understanding.

For the taser to pose a threat to the officers after it had been fired, Brooks would have to turn around and close range range with them.

ned likes this.
  6. David Harrison

Maybe that's true, but why do "the mob" (ie. citizens who pay police wages and should be consenting to how they are policed) feel this way?

There is always a mob to appease, all that has happened is that public opinion has shifted.

For decades the mob voted for presidents who used the demonisation of black people as campaign messaging. The mob didn't want to pay for education or public services for areas of intergenerational poverty. The mob was happy for the police to treat these areas as open prisons. The mob didn't care about unjustified killings, brutality etc. - as long as the police kept the crime out of the better-off areas.

How are you surprised that there is an overreaction to this case? The police and politicians did this to themselves, by ignoring societal failings for pretty much the entire history of the nation, and wanting only to contain the problems that arose from their inaction.

Maybe some of the reaction to this case is unfair, but that is pushback for how unfair it has been for black people previously.

The erosion of public trust in the police is not the public's fault. It is the police's fault. It doesn't matter if that is unfair to the good cops; it's just how it is and the police need to work together to correct that.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Saw a good facebook post...we wouldn't have "black lives matter" if America didn't have 300 years of "black lives not mattering". Seems about right.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That line of logic leads to the very dangerous rationalisation of letting criminals get away with committing offences just because people are angry or because they're a certain skin colour.

Today we're demanding that people not be arrested because they drove a car while drunk (how else do you think Brooks got to Wendy's before he passed out?) or allowing them to run off with a Taser after assaulting two police officers just because they're black. Who knows what we're demanding tomorrow.

It's ludicrous thinking.

I understand why people are angry because of what happened to George Floyd. I understand why people are angry when other unarmed black men who haven't committed a crime are killed by the police.

But the Rayshard Brooks case is completely different. He was passed out drunk behind the wheel
    of his car, he failed a breath test, he resisted arrest, he assaulted and disarmed law enforcement officers, he fled the scene of a crime, and - this is perhaps the most defining point - he fired the stolen weapon at the officers.

The officers would have responded the same way regardless of what skin colour he was.

People do not have the right to resist arrest. Period.

People do not have the right to assault police. Period.

People do not have the right to fire upon police. Period.

Brooks played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

Yes, it's tragic. But it really shouldn't be a surprise the police reacted the way they did. Again, I think the uproar is more to do with the current sociopolitical climate than it is to do with excessive use of force or racial profiling.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree. Still not an excuse to break the law, though.

10. David Harrison

Can't you see that it isn't about this specific case?

The police lost the trust of poor black communities years ago (as well as many poor white and hispanic ones), and only now is the weight of public opinion in general shifting to side with them, and against the police. Police departments, federal, state and local government had years to act, and not enough did. I'm not giving an opinion as to whether this is right or wrong, it is just how it is.

Never mind how suspected criminals are treated, listen to some stories of how victims of crime are treated by police in poor, ethnic minority neighbourhoods.

You don't balance the scales without them swinging the other way first, and this is what's happening. It's naive to think people will look objectively at a case like this at this time. The police have a lot of work to do in order to win back the trust of the public, and it is their fault that they lost it in the first place. Whether you think it is right or wrong, they are reaping what they sowed.

Anth, ned and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1483963637-dredd-karl-urban.jpg

I think America needs a real solution, to these namby Pamby people claiming people shouldn't be judged and punished straight away.

Crime is a disease, and we need a cure.

(Post made with sarcasm cloak fully pulled on)

David Harrison and ned like this.
  12. ned

ned Valued Member

Saw this report yesterday which seems relevant, is it just that our firearms officers are better trained ?

Man shot in leg by police after lorry stolen

13. Dead_pool

Nope that was just luck, they aim centre of mass to make hitting them more likely.

Legs and arms are smaller and move a lot more then torsos.

ned and David Harrison like this.
  14. David Harrison

Our firearms officers are better trained than your average cop in the US, because they are the equivalent of US SWAT teams.

Shoot to kill: what is the UK’s policy?

Southpaw535, Dead_pool and ned like this.
  15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Update:

US policeman faces murder charge over Brooks death

I disagree strongly with the decision.

I agree with the sentiment expressed in this quote from the lawyer of the other officer. I emboldened part of the article which makes me believe this is not in the interest of justice, but to appease the baying mob.

I think we're going to see more people feeling emboldened to resist arrest and assault police officers - including the good ones.

16. Dead_pool

Edit, it's already been posted I see.

Atlanta officer charged with murder in fatal shooting

"
    ATLANTA — The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction will be charged with felony murder and 10 other charges, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Garrett Rolfe kicked Brooks while he lay on the ground and the officer with him, Devin Brosnan, stood on Brooks' shoulder as he struggled for life after a confrontation Friday night, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said at a news conference.

Rolfe had already been fired after he fatally shot Brooks, 27, on Friday night. Brosnan, who will be charged with aggravated assault and other crimes, had been placed on administrative leave."

17. Dead_pool

Prosecutors said Mr Rolfe said: "I got him." For over two minutes after Mr Brooks was shot, neither officer provided medical attention as police are required to do, prosecutors said.

Instead, Mr Rolfe kicked Mr Brooks while he was on the ground, and Officer Brosnan stood on Mr Brooks' shoulder immediately after the shooting, Mr Howard added.

I believe that at the time of the shooting, Mr Brooks did not represent a threat," Mr Howard said, noting that police rules prohibit firing a Taser at a fleeing suspect.

"So he certainly cannot fire a handgun at someone running away," he said.
    "

That will be why then, he shot against ROE, and then didn't give medical aid, against police rules.

Southpaw535, Anth and David Harrison like this.
  18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pretty sure that changes when a suspect turns around and fires a weapon at the officer though. Rolfe fired almost immediately in response to being fired upon by Brooks.

It's worth noting that Brosnan's lawyer disputes that the officer stood on Brooks. Also, the Georgia Bureau of Instigation said they weren't aware of the press conference, and that the investigation continues. Still appears very politically motivated. 4D63CBA4-19EE-486F-8173-A63E38CC5E92.jpeg

19. David Harrison

It doesn't matter if the DA's decision was politically motivated. The officer will be judged by a jury of his peers.

Very surprising to have an officer be a witness for the prosecution against his partner. I wonder if the DA offered a deal where he would be let off for not giving first aid to Brooks...

20. Dead_pool

It was a single shot less then lethal weapon fired though.

Whilst the impulse to shoot back is understandable, it doesn't seem to be legal.