Rattan Vs. Oak Staff

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Gyaku, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Guys - I need some help here.

ANy idea what the strength of a rattan staff is - are they a good ligher replacement for a traditional 6ft Bo?

Cheers!

2. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

They are lighter but one of the great qualities of Rattan is its ability to absorb impact. I would recommend getting one in the exact same size and trying it out. Are you using this for impact training? Fighting? Or just forms and such?

Gruhn

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Against what mate ?

A rattan staff isn't going to stand up to the hammer of a harder wood, the transmission of viberation through the wood to your hands could be considerable.

Whilst light, a rattan staff also has huge amounts of flexibility, although that isn't all together bad, an awful lot of energy is lost in this flex, especially if the staff is likely to come into contact with something harder.

Regards

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Rattan is damn near impossible to break unless you're really trying for it... The only nice thing about it is the fact it's lighter.. I'll take a heavy oak staff any day of the week.. just watch those ground strikes ;)

5. ember

ember Valued Member

If you are going to *practice* staff sparring, rattan is the way to go for both sides. You go through a lot fewer staves that way.

For staff spinning, both are good. The heavier staff sort of works the muscles more, but also builds up momentum (maintains the spin easier).

For real life, probably hardwood.

6. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

rattan all the way. i have used my rattan staff for 8 years now, training with it in forms, spinning, sparring and target/bag work. they are stong and light and take an incredible amount of punishment as well as being able to give it out. i have had no trouble absorbing strikes from heavyer wooden staffs, nor have i had any vibration problems from striking hard bags or other staffs. but ultimately you should try one out and decide for yourself, after all they are quite cheep to buy.

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Personally I prefer rattan over oak any day for its ability to take hard hits without splintering. I've seen a number of oak ones come to bits and its not a pretty sight.

I have several rattan bo in different thickness and weight, and infinitely prefer the heavy rattan one to an oak one for sparring any day.

8. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Thanks for the help here guys. Well I tried it out and it works ok - ish!

THe vibration is ok - well bearable - The flexiblity was unusual - I'm not used to that - does anyone adjust their technique for the rattan bo or do you use the same as for the normal bo.

Cheers!

9. Morkeleb

Morkeleb Valued Member

You can use the flexibility to your advantage when blocking, sweeping and hitting with it. A small circular motion with your hands creates a larger circular motion at the end of the staff.

We use hardwood before we get our hands on bamboo or rattan. All techniques are based on the more flexible "wood".

Good luck.

10. zhongding37

zhongding37 Valued Member

rattan

Where is the best place to get a rattan staff from in usa?
    good quality no junk please

11. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member