Rash? Allergy? Chemical Burn?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by LadyKickBoxer, Apr 30, 2013.

1. LadyKickBoxer

LadyKickBoxer New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I scrolled through this forum and didn't see any questions regarding this, but I'm sure I can't be the only one. I'm getting a major skin irritation where my protective gear (shin guards) are touching my skin. I thought it might just be a heat rash but now I'm wondering. I shower (or wipe my legs down) after class but the irritation still develops within a few hours (not right away). It's a burning, itchy sensation and looks like a bad sunburn. I never had a problem with my old shinguards which is why I think it might not be heat rash. The new ones are leather covered with a fabric covered foam on the inside (against my legs).
    It's only the skin that is touched by the fabric covered foam that reacts.
    I'm treating it effectively with an anti-itch cream and now wear longs pants to the gym.
    Any insights on what the heck is up? (My doctor thought it was heat rash)
    Thanks

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Are they sliding up and down your shins at all when you kick? Maybe try masking the inside of one of the pads with duct tape to see if you can rule out an allergic reaction.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

To be honest it sounds like it might be an allergic reaction rather than the other option due to the rash developing after you remove the guards.

Simplest way to test this is
    - Wear the shin guards as usual but while you aren't doing anything strenuous. e.g. strap them on a watch a movie. If you don't get a reaction it rules out sweat/heat and chafing rash since you aren't really moving around or sweating.
    - To confirm allergic reaction do the same as above but strap the shin guard around your arm. If you get a rash on your arm it's a reaction to the guards themselves.

You can try creating a barrier between the guards and skin with tape while training. But I would suggest putting the tape over an area on your shin itself to avoid damaging the shin guards and to rule out chafing too. Then just look for a difference between taped and non-taped areas. Just make sure you aren't allergic to tapes too. :D

4. LadyKickBoxer

LadyKickBoxer New Member

@ holyheadjch, didn't occur to me that it might be a friction issue. I'll check for slippage the next time I go to the gym.
    @ righty, brilliant plan to find out if it's an allergy or not! I've got some time tonight I can devote to wearing the guard on my arm, you know, when I go grocery shopping. ;) Seriously though, good plan. I'll let you all know what happens with that.
    Thanks!

5. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

The suggestions offered so far have been good. Please let us know how it works out for you, and if it is not helping, I may be able to offer some additional suggestions (I'm a doctor). I'd need a photograph of the area and a little of the area around it so I can see your normal skin as well as the inflamed area.