Rapping Up Canelo

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

SPOILER

I just watched the fight and it was what I had expected.

Safe point decision win for Mayweather. Canelo did a good job, but the experience difference between him and Mayweather was quite noticeable. The hand speed as well.

In this fight I had the feeling of Mayweather being invincible. He was fighting a flawless fight today and I have to give much respect to him. He's the greatest and definitely the most skilled fighter of his generation. Skill-wise I'd rank him in the top 3 of all time. And I think he has a legit claim to being the best defensive fighter ever.

I hope Canelo stays in the top bracket and fight the other top contenders like Cotto, Ortiz, Berto and maybe even Chavez Jr. I'd even be interested in a rematch with Trout. I'd be bummed if Canelo fought someone below his level at this point.

Anyway, I believe Canelo will come back stronger from this.

Zinowor, you didn't add spoilers for this. Please be careful because many will have recorded this for watching today.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Interviewer to Canelo: "Was he simply too good?" Canelo's response paraphrased: "Yeah, pretty much."

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I'm surprised Mayweather started out fast and took an offensive position throughout the whole fight. I've never seen him so aggressive. He literally fought the absolute perfect fight. All I saw was "perfection" for 12 rounds.

And this is coming a from a guy who wanted Canelo to win (although I knew he wouldn't).

Absolutely amazing performance. But no less, Canelo's stock definitely rose in my mind. He went 12 rounds with the best boxer in decades, perhaps of all time, and wasn't afraid to go toe-to-toe... all at the age of 23.

As for Matthysse and Garcia, what a freaking let down! I counted around 20 low blows landed by Garcia and just 1 point deduction, ridiculous. Moreover, he pretty much invented a new style. It's called "clinch". Pretty crappy way to win in my opinion, but that's why fighting in rules-based systems is just a sport at the end of the day. I still think Matthysse is a better fighter. I won't take Garcia's chin away from him though.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Things to take from Saturday

1.Lucas deserves a rematch with a ref that doesn't put up with his dirty stuff
    2.Floyd is the master boxer and unless he gets old overnight, no one from 154 down can beat him.
    3. Canelo has been fed way to many easy fights to try to build up his resume. He's not bad, but if he could barely get by Trout, there is no way he was going to hang with Floyd.
    4. I thought Ishe Smith deserved the decision. Molina would just hit and then rush in and hold. He did no good work in that fight to take a champions belt.
    5. C.J. Ross was clearly paid well for her complete joke of having a draw.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

1. 2. and 5 you could definately put in the bank ( Don't you know ole C.J did!).

3. meh...not really, I think he's has some solid fights but you're right with respects to Trout, people sort of brushed that one off - I know I did.

6. belltoller

Yep, yep...uh-huh. The same. I knew Floyd'd end strong and decisive but...I thought he'd wait a few rounds to lull Alverez into that false sense of rythym before turning it on.

Mayweather also put his sack on the line, so to speak, by not conserving his energy for later rounds, as most of an older age would be (wisely) inclined to do. He obviously had a lot of faith in his tank; albeit, Canelo has shown somewhat of a tendancy to tire a bit in his fights.

Mayweather's fight against this 23 yr old shows he is far from any sort of age-related decline.

I was very surprised at how crisp he was all throughout.

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I'd love to see Matthysse fight Garcia again with a better ref. Unfortunately I don't forsee that ever happening as Garcia's just opened up a whole new tier of fighters to go head-to-head with. That's unless Matthysse blows everyone's minds away with another solid performance like he had with Peterson and Garcia's career is on a decline after getting owned by the likes of Floyd, Pacquiao, Bradley, heck, maybe even (Juan Manuel) Marquez.

As for Ishe Smith, as much of an incredibly long and boring fight that was, I actually had it for the other guy. I preferred for Ishe to win but I just don't think he was busy enough.

I thought Canelo did well; better than I thought he would at least. I don't think they expected Floyd to start out so fast and that likely ruined his game plan. The plan was probably to go in and frustrate Canelo as early as possible. I don't think Canelo's a bad fighter (although I agree his resume is questionable), but I do think he is a great fighter -- Floyd has a habit of making people look like they suck.

So what I'd like to see in the near future?
    Floyd-Tim Bradley, Canelo-Sergio Martinez, and either Pacquiao-Garcia or Khan-Garcia for a good rematch (though he lost, Khan was still dominating him for 4 rounds so miserably the guy didn't know what to do, though luckily for Garcia, one well-placed hook scored him a KO).

8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I agree. He might turn into, or even succeed, B-Hop if he wants to continue fighting. I really do hope he doesn't retire undefeated though. I don't give Joe Calzaghe as much credit as others may give him for retiring undefeated.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Call me crazy, but Bradley IMO gives Floyd a very hard time. Bradley doesn't get tired, uses his legs well, is very strong and fast handed

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Definitely not crazy at all. Although I believe Pacquiao shut him down and should have legitimately won from every angle, I was surprised at how Bradley showed up ready to fight and gave a good fight.

Unfortunately, Pacquiao's now but a shadow of his former self, and seeing Bradley's style (quick, explosive, strong chin (and head), great on his feet, and very accurate), he's likely the only person left at this point in time who could give Floyd a run for his money.

For some reason, my heart tells me Floyd wouldn't ever take that chance.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Floyd doesn't get tired, I've never even seen him winded except in his first fight against Castillo.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Tim is unpredictable with his punch choices, so that is what makes me think he could give Floyd a hard time, but with not enough pop he cannot beat Floyd in a pure boxing match, it would have to be ugly, dirty and all out war, unfortunately Floyd has seen all of this before. Bradley wouldn't beat him, I just think that the fight would be more interesting.

By the way, you do know one if the judges for manny vs Bradley was none other than the horrible cj Ross right? Someone should look at he recent bank deposits.

13. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

LOL Yeah I DID notice that. I think CJ Ross was also one of the judges in Amir Khan-Lamont Peterson, which if you remember was a huge robbery in Lamont's favor.

14. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

She has just stepped down. I just made a thread linking to the story.

15. belltoller

Not quite the same apple, Hopkins is a fighter's fighter. Old school, I reckon. Even Toney gave him a lot of respect, though I don't think they ever fought (?) What a fellow, the oldest man to win a World Championship and then breaking his own record!

BTW, didn't Calzaghe, as you mentioned, turn down a chance for a rematch with him? But not exactly young when Hopkins lost to 'that white-boy' earlier. LOL!

In some ways, Bernard's is the truest way, though he's had a handful of losses in his 60 some-odd fights.

Mayweather is clever.

Career much more 'engineered' as far as matches go - not padded, so much as carefully selected to deliver the best bang for the least risk.

I don't see him going the same route as Bernard. I see Mayweather getting out early, though, as we've seen against Alverez, he still has it to keep going strong for some time to come, I think he'll make a splash into something else while youthful and healthy and - quite possibly undefeated.

I'll have to inquire as to your beef with Calzaghe later at some point, he is one of the best to come out of the Isles.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Calzaghe was always much better than his résumé suggested. What hurt him was not fighting outside of his own country for so long.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Hopkins is a great, but j have no doubts that he either has a tue or just doesn't get caught using something. He's also one of the most dirty fighters out there. Uses a lot of illegal tactics, but hey, if the ref didn't see it, it didnt happen right?

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Calzaghe was well over-rated in my opinion. I saw him live on a Tyson undercard in Manchester and he stunk the place out. He pulled out of too many fights. How many times did he duck Glen Johnson? 3 I think. I also think he lost the fight with Robin Reid. Oh, and he slapped too much!

Regarding Pacquiao, this is what I think. I thought in his last fight he looked much better than I expected. I thought he would lose to Marquez, get out-boxed, but he did real damage and was winning the fight right up until that murderous punch. That punch would have ko'd anyone. So I don't think catching one punch like that makes you "over the hill." I thought he looked as sharp as ever up until that point. However, what damage that knockout has done we simply will not know until he fights next. It was similar to Roy Jones. Jones looked much better than his previous fight against Tarver, then boom! Everyone thought it was a one-off. Once he got knocked out it happened again. And again. And again. I hope that isn't the case with Pacquiao.

I can't see Bradley giving Floyd any trouble whatsoever to be honest. He wasn't very good in his last fight. And will someone tell Khan to stop going on about Mayweather. He makes it sound as if Floyd has never fought anyone with quick hands before! Amir, you can't keep getting Ko'd and then demand the worlds best fighter gives you a payday. You don't deserve it. Get back to Skype!

Actually, it's a shame about Khan. He is extremely talented, but he has to learn his craft. Being quick just isn't enough.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

Does anyone else agree with me that fighters like Mayweather and Hopkins know the old-school tricks that maybe the newer generation don't? Some of them, like Khan for example, seem to think being fit and strong is all it takes, when you see Mayweather, Hopkins, Ward actually, use things that the others don't. The defence, angles, distance, etc. They really learned their boxing inside-out, working on things all their life, not just in training camp, turning what they do into an art form with true dedication.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Just read Hopkins wants to fight Mayweather at middleweight. The Klitschko's will be calling him out next!