Rapists- Deserving of mercy?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rainofblades, Aug 13, 2005.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Rape, changes someones life for the worse for the rest of their life, it ruins a part of them whether someone "gets over it" it negatively affects their life for the rest of it and for that reason rapists should be torutred and killed nothing gives them the right to do that to someone.

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Exactly, but it doesn't have to be that way!

What I mean is that by expecting people to be trumitised and messed up by rape we:

a) Make it into a taboo subject burdening victims not just with the trauma of the rape but with the struggle to keep it secret from all the people they meet because of the fear that in those people's eyes the will be lesened.

b) We in a sesne impose the trauma on them because they expect to never fully recover from it we make it much much harder for them to recover from it, someone on MAP had a sig that read "Whether you think it's possible or impossible either way you'r right" and I think that applies here.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hmm... That's an excellent point (or two) Slindsay.

4. Slindsay

No, I completely disagree, to be honest I don't really care if you are wrong or right because I will never adopt that attitude. How on earth do you think someone who had been raped would feel if you told them that? Who are you to say what they can and can not recover from? Maybe you can't imagine that you would recover from it (And that doesn't in any way make you a weak person) but there are people out there who can and do eventually forget what was done to them and look back on it as a lesson in life and even, unbelievanle as you may find this, laugh about it.

I know that rape is an almost unimaginably terrible thing but if you refuse to accept that it can't be beaten and ignored then you can recover from it, comletely.

5. CrowZer0

It negatively affects a life, it changes a part of them forever I dont think that they would be hermits all their life, but it will be a constant reminder of a ngihtmare they once suffered. You cant just forget about it. What if you see someone that looks like the rapist? What if the rapist was the dad, or an uncle, what if it was someone really powerful who said they would kill you for say anything?

6. Slindsay

PPF you dont seem to get it, if I take that attitude then how will the person I know feel? "Sorry but I thinkyour irrecovably damaged, not that I aint still here for you or anything." Not exactly the greatest words of comfort.

On a different note I agree that violence in retaliation won't help, I really wanted to kill the guy repsonsible when he gets out of jail but the person affected would only feel worse if I did that not better. Hence why i feel life inprisonment is the best course of action.

7. CrowZer0

I wouldn't care if the person didn't want to do soemthing my own punishment would be killing the guy:d

8. Slindsay

But strange as this sounds that may make the victim feel worse because then they would feel (regardless of whether or not it is true) that they have the responsibility of that persons death at their feet.

9. CrowZer0

Not the people I know, and if someone did think that I would correct them, a rapist is filth.

10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Ok as much as i don't condone rape completely disagree with it i have a qeustion.

Why did this person do it?

Typical answers would be alchohol, power or 'filth' as you say PPF.

But could it be things done to them in the past......do we ever look at that

A victim of child abuse who doesnt deal with it is likely to act out in violence its all they know how.

I'm not saying that for everything bad that happened to them they can go out and repeat it on others im just saying the source of the problem may not be the rape but something that happened years before. Were quick to say this persons a sicko needs to die filth etc but what made them that way could it be another sicko someone who needs to die or a bigger bit of filth.

As little as 50 years ago child abuse and other such acts were though of as 'parenting' and now it seems we are paying for it.

I'm not saying this is in all cases but is certanly the story of a few.

Skc

This may seem slightly off topic but its cause and effect

11. CrowZer0

There is no justifcation for rape, I dont care if they were raped, they shouldn't do it like its normal!

12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Just make sure that life meant life and not 25 years or less and keep them in solitary confinement for long and random periods.
    I think this covers all bases as the rapists life is basicaly taken away from them but the victim need to feel no guilt as they may if the offender had been killed.

13. Slindsay

Pretty much what I have been saying.

14. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

i'm not trying to say it's a justification

an explanation;

a young child is raped from the age of say 5 until they leave home or get old enough to realise it is wrong by the time they realise this they are so mortally ashemed of themselves they do not speak out ....instead they bury it......they do not deal with it they come to hate themselves the world around them possibly they turn to drink might try to kill themselves or inflict pain upon others.

You could change the word rape to beaten the fact is people grow up not knowing this is wrong then they don't speak out for meida reasons which has been covered not wanting to hurt their family or a whole other host of reasons. By this time they are so screwed up its unreal.

It happens it's not a justification but it does happen

Skc

15. CrowZer0

Dude I perfectly understand why someone would want to rape someone or think its ok, I am aware of child abuse and waht it later leads on to life, I am aware of circumstances, but still it is not permitabble, I dont care if they were a billionaire who had everything they ever wnated or an abused child a victim of wacko jacko, rape is rape, and they have no right to commit it, rapists should be killed.

16. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

How can society learn from its mistakes if instead of trying to overcome its problems it erases them (kils them) we will never ever progress as a race if the only thing we can do is reward violence with violence.

I will pick this up later already late for work :bang:

skc

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think that enforcing your will on the person who went through it is the way to help them recover from a rape. That makes the situation about you, not them.

18. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Thanks for the info. I, for some reason, looked up voluntary eunuchs a while go. They talk about losing the aggression, while they can still have sex although performance is significantly reduced they can still just about ejaculate. However, the loss in muscle mass is unavoidable.

Whilst you talk about false convictions being discovered due to DNA evidence it does make castration look like a last resort, which it should be. However, what about the death penalty? How many of those were false convictions? OOC, which US stats have the death penalty (just so I can avoid them)?

19. Maverick

Maverick New Member

PPF, torture and death are not proportionate punishments for rape.

Torturing people is useless and barbaric. Exactly what purpose would it serve? You torture someone to death and they are dead, why bother torturing them? For sick pleasure? 'Revenge'?

Your comments are a little worrying, but I suspect you don't actually realise what you are saying, and I definitely don't believe you could bring yourself to torture another person whether they're a rapist or not. If you are then maybe we should pre-emptively arrest you, because it makes you sound like a sociopath :eek:

On another note I agree with you on all points Slindsay. But is there a way to de-stigmatise rape yet not lessen it's seriousness? I don't think so, and that's the problem.

20. CrowZer0

If rapists are out there raping then it is my issue, I will get rid of that filth.