Rapists- Deserving of mercy?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rainofblades, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

The bold print is what I meant. They will be prosecuted as adults, so there is no differance in dealing with the perpetrator.

2. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

So what exactly is yourstance on this issue :confused:

3. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

My stance is look before you leap, think before you pummel the living daylights out of someone, and understand what exactly you're dealing with here. For actual rapists, it depends on the severity, not all rape is the *break into someone's home and force intercourse with violence* type or even similar. Read into some actual court cases and try to understand how these things work.

As for the guy that went and hunted down those two repeat level 3 sex offenders and killed them a couple weeks ago, I can't bring myself to condemn him.

My point wasn't in what was actually written, but what the average person expected to read, and I demonstrated in several places what that was. When I showed people that article people kept thinking there would be a point wherein the two girls got raped, kidnapped, etc, but there was none.

Another case is that of the serial killer in Texas that was just executed... I think yesterday. As I recall there was a decent sized group protesting the execution, not because they were necessarily anti-death penalty, but because the serial killer in this case was a black woman. A group of hundreds protested around 6 or so years ago when a different woman was executed.

My point isn't that you personally necessarily see the crimes as different based on gender, but that the public in general does.

4. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Ok but we're straying off-topic here...

Noontidal, you still haven't expressed your opinion it rapists deserve mercy or not...

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have no problem treating 14-15 yo's as adults when it comes to committing serious crimes. Lock em up, they'll learn what prison has in store for them....

6. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

I did, and my reply was that not all cases are the same so it has to be on a case by case basis. If you were to give me an example without details then I would answer that I am not in a position to decide. Too many men and quite often women as well act/react without thinking and thinking they don't need all the facts to act, and jump to wrongful conclusions, etc. It's important to try understanding when things have been distorted and when they haven't.

7. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Francis Newton is the name of the black woman you spoke of and she was not given good representation to say the least. Her lawyer did not interview a single witness and the crime lab that originally brought her case to trial has been discredited. Not to mention a suggested motive that has been poked full of holes. I think many people came to this woman's aid not because they knew beyond any reason of doubt that she was innoccent,(how could they?) but because there was a general consensus that she was not given adaquate legal representation. Her lawyer has reportedly had over 12 clients sent to death row and has been labelled by other professionals in the legal community as being incompetent. So I don't think the public came to her aid out of extra sympathy because she was woman but rather because she was not given the best legal defense and this was a big issue because her life was at stake.

Now I can't speak for anyone else on this thread as to their view so I will only attest for mine in saying that quick knee jerk reactions against someone being accussed of rape are not the way to go. Which is why I repeatedly advocated for life imprisonment for rapists instead of the death penalty because there is no way to correct the mistake of executing an innocent person.