Rapists- Deserving of mercy?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rainofblades, Aug 13, 2005.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

A man was beaten to death here in the uk a couple of weeks ago.
    The only reason the police can find is that he looks very much like a convicted peadophile who had recently been deported back from australia,whose picture had been splashed over several tabloid papers in the previous days to the murder.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It'd be a nice break from the hot air.

The whole online vigilante, tough guy, punisher shtick is old hat... it's been done here at MAP ad nauseam.

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Forget vigilante/punisher. If someone defends her or himself from a rapist and kills the criminal most decent people won't shed a tear. And many (most?) will give a quiet thumbs-up. That's not being a fake tough guy. It's a natural reaction to things people feel deeply about.

And while most people won't act on it, I can't think of many parents whose first reaction to "that guy there is sodomising your precious three year old" isn't "I'll kill the *******!" The urge to protect one's children from predators is one of the most primal, strongly conserved from when our early ancestors first took the time to bury their eggs and guard the nest.

4. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

rapists and molesters

Dude, our ancestors where not toads, fishes, monkeys or primates... However there where some people who lived in caves and lived poor lives in ancient times. Those are your supposed "cavemen" who draw on the walls.

Rapists are people who Force someone verbally, mentally & physically into a position where they are helpless in order to have personal & intimate relations with them against their will.

If I seen someone pushing a woman down while she is screaming, fighting, biting, kicking, etc,... I would most undoubtably kick them or grapple them.

The same goes for children. If I seen someone touching a child in such a manner.. I would immediately apprehend them and call authorities. I think the legal consenting age is 17 or 18 or something close to that, anything under that is definitely illegal.

If a man is talking to a woman and he pulls out a gun or knife to convince her that if she does not do what he wants, she will die... I would attack him.

However, I hear alot of different people talking about punishing the supposed perpetrator before the crime takes place... hey thats your call. Life is not a movie, though some people want to believe those things. You cannot always act on intuition unless you know your instincts are correct.

Me personally, I will stop it when it is really happening and not worry about all the could-be scepticism. I mean, I have heard of husbands and wives being accused of rape... now that is just plain rediculous. How can a married couple rape each other? We would have to re-define Websters.

I was looking around the other night and saw this girl talking with this guy outside his voltswagon-bug... They were not fighting or arguing, but they looked drunk.

The guy kept getting in and out of the car whilst talking on the phone to somebody.... it looked to me like he was cleaning out the back seat of his vehicle. He hung up the phone and spoke to the girl outside of the vehicle. I could not hear what they where saying, but it looked like he was telling her to get into the back seat.... I could only guess. Here is the tip off. Although no one was around, they kept looking at me over and over. It was a set up. They were trying to get me to attack the "supposed perpetrator" because for almost 6 minutes he was pretending to be an almost rape suspect. I sat up into an meditative position and the girl ran off... the guy drove away.

I will not justify some of the crap people look at on the internet, or some of the clubs people go to where there is this freaky bondage cult stuff... yet can you accuse them? That depends on what actually happens. Do those people act physically upon their 'carnal desires' against victims? If so, then yes, press charges and have them brought to justice with a rape charge. If not, then go watch Jerry Springer. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It really is - You've been sin binned for having not one, not two, but now THREE accounts here.

2.1 User Accounts:
    A maximum of ONE account is allowed per person.

One of you is enough.

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

When it comes to the physical world you come down on the side of
    mythology. I come down on the side of science. There really isn't a
    lot of room to maneuver there. Suffice it to say that even if you're
    right protecting one's children and behaving with utter savagery towards
    those who hurt them is strongly written in our genes and every human
    culture.

I don't think I ever suggested hurting someone before he did anything. It's when he's trying to rape someone that he endangers his right to share the communal oxygen. And while I'm not a parent I can fully understand how a decent person would want to kill someone who had molested her or his children.

Ridiculous? Hardly. If you want to get crude about it rape is about shoving something into one of your orifices without your permission. The fact that you are married doesn't mean you have given up the right to grant or deny permission. Rape is one of the classic techniques used by abusers to control, humiliate and break down their spouse/victims. In fact, in many ways it's worse than rape by a stranger. The betrayal of trust adds a whole other horrible dimension to the crime.

7. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Everybody, stop flaming. This is getting rediculous.

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

It does seem to be a little over heated in the ole discussion here - its a sensitive subject please bear this in mind or sadly this important subject may end up locked :(

9. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well.. owkay.. I've revived this thread because I have something to tell. I don't really know how to put it, but I'll give it a try.

In this thread I have allways been claiming for mercy for rapists. IMO they need to be sent to prison for life. All the kneebashing of people here who are really creative in inventing torturing punishments for rapists have allways annoyed me. I have allways been a protestor of death penalty. One shouldn't claim the right to decide about the ending of a life of one other. I have allways thought they could be cured, or else be put away in prison. beating the guy up will only vent your frustrations and won't change a thing..

Well, my girlfriend and I have been dating for a couple of weeks now, and I really do love her, but there was allways something. Something she didn't want to tell me.

Today she told me what's been bugging her. A couple of months ago, she was raped by a guy she knew pretty good. It was before she met me, and she hasn't told anyone else except another close friend. She never pressed charges against the guy, because she didn't want her parents and friends to find out...

As you can see, it's really hard for me now to defend all my former statements.

My girl refuses to tell me who the guy is, because I will put him into a hospital and she doesn't want that to happen.

The most awkward and frustrating thing is that she is kind of defending the guy. She doesn't want to see him hurt, and she doesn't want to press charges, because she knows/knew him pretty well. IMHO, friends don't rape you, so...

I guess the purpose of this post is to let everyone know that I finally understand all those knee-bashing guys who invent all sorts of torture for rapists, and it's really hard for me to continue backing up claims that no longer hold any value for me...

Seeing my girl cry breaks my heart and make me want to put a cap in the guys ass

I hope you all understand..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Mate, I'm angry on your behalf! As a self-confessed tree-hugging liberal I'm generally against capital punishment but in your place I would feel exactly the same. That kinda thing can bring out the vigilante in anyone. I hope you and your ladyfriend can stick together and support each other and that Mr Scumbag meets with an unfortunate accident.

11. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Indeed, I hope I can be there for her when she needs me.

Oh! How I wish a car would hit this guy, and cripple him.

That being said, that'll be the last vigilante-like comment I've made here, because enough people are doing it for me.

and thanx mate.. these kind of responses really mean something to me :eek:

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I read this thread and I remembered reading a book by a well-respected martial arts writer in Britain (Geoff Thomson) who described being sexually assaulted by his first sensei as a young boy. And how he overcame it and went beyond it. Vengeance on the rapist would not "unrape" your GF, I doubt she would feel better after you doing it either. It's natural to want to hurt someone who has hurt one of yours, but two wrongs rarely make a right. (If you catch someone in the act anything to stop the goblin doing what he is doing is OK IMO).

I hope she will get fully over it and I hope the git never gets a chance to attack any woman again. You being there for her is why she told you, not so you could let it eat you up as well.

13. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Sure do, and sorry about that. Always bad to hear such a story.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Mayhap we should lock this now?

It seems rather inappropriate to continue petty arguing after such a deep post.

15. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Be there for your girl. That is the best thing you can and should do.

And, when thoughts of revenge come to you, remember that ultimately her recovery is more important than revenge. If her recovery would be best accomplished by letting the guy go, do that. Think of her.

That said, yes, I also would want to kill or cripple the guy who did it. Maybe I even would, I donĀ“t know, nor do I want the possibility. But ONLY if this would help my girlfriend/espouse/loved one recover - not for my own sake, but for hers.

Otherwise, your revenge would be selfish. It would serve your bloodlust, not her recovery.

I know what I just said does not make much sense, and my opinions might very well change if something like this happened to someone I know "knocks on wood". But this is how I think about this subject at the moment.

16. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I was dreading this topic coming to life again and I really feel for your new girlfriend. I do understand where she is coming from, please pm me with any news and how to be a support for her, I have some good advice to tell you.
    if your on msn then please can we talk, I might be able to help a little.

It's hard for her to understand why her frind has done this when she's probably known him/her for a long time. Her mind will be going through the mill and she may be still in shock. Let her talk when she's ready and be a support when she' needs you to be, it will happen. It's no use wanting to do something to him and it's a real pity she hasn't reported it as he/she could have done it to others as well.
    I'm going to finish with this, I'm here if you need to talk, I'll pm you with my msn address.
    lisa xx

17. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Ok, as a rarity I didn't actually read all 24 pages, just the 3 and last. On the given topic, I think it's highly important to understand the crimes, statistics related to it, and societal reactions. Now, my personal opinion is that a rapist whether male or female needs to face consequences for their actions based on the severity of what they did.

The fact is, rape has the highest rate of intentional false reportings of any other crime, at a rate of 12%, much higher than any other crime. Also understand that it's not all the same.

One college I know of has a policy against men having intercourse with women while drunk, calling such 'rape'. Now I know several who have gone to that college, and dated girls. Coincidently they also drank and as it were, they were boyfriend/girlfriends so they did what most couples in relationship would do. Later after the guy broke up with the girl she accused him of rape under the school policy which subsequently got him kicked out, etc. Now I would ask, was that right?

On this topic and on the topic of violence, men are stupid and gullible, just point blank we are.

Based on statistic gained from various national crime investigation sites statistically 33% of all rape including that of children is perpetrated by women. I wonder how the average guy's reaction would change if the rapist he wanted to enact all kinds of violence upon was a woman?

I personally, was formerly of the 'castration crowd', but having studied sociology and various other subjects gives one a better perspective and keeps you from the knee-jerk gullible guy response. Or at least protects from it a bit, heh.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  18. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Well, I've stated my opinion multiple times in this thread... so I'm not going to go there anymore. But I don't care whate gender the rapist is, they need to be punished. Why would this be any different, you don't treat a feminine murderer any different than a male one do you ???

19. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

You might be surprized, but yes, people do. Just as an example, read the following recent news story. I originally saw this on CNN.

If you're like most of us, when you read the headline you probably expected something else entirely.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter