Rape

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Kyokushin Guy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

So what were you planning on using that knife for? Opening finicky Crisp packets?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5V2ZbX4i4"]Onion News Network - New Gun Laws! - YouTube[/ame]

^ Sure being armed and ready to defend *cough* viciously attack *cough* at any time may solve some our self defence problems, but is it really the solution we'd like to see adopted by everyone?

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Viciously attack? Seriously?

I keep it on me IN CASE ANYONE TRIED TO RAPE OR OTHERWISE SERIOUSLY ASSAULT me. I don't want to have to sever anyone's tendons any more than you do. Why do you think I simply keep to myself so much?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

you have a knife partly open all the time in your pocket. thats very edgy/paranoid and preparation to stick someone.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Ahh man, I've serious DOMS in my obliques, that video just resulted in folding me in half with pain while simultaneously spraying red wine all over my iPad.

Genius.

5. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Except that is not the criteria is it.

You've explicitly stated the grounds on which you'd draw and it comes down to someone invading your space when you have said "no".Now I'm an athletic 77kg male, so I won't even begin to pretend that I know what it's like to be in your position...

but Ireland can't be that different from Scotland culturally and I don't think I know anyone who would even dream of carrying a knife, let alone having such a hard and fast criteria on when to start brandishing it.

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yes I'm paranoid. Because I weigh 54 kilograms and I live in an area where social boundaries and morals whirl in the U bend.

It doesn't mean I WANT to HURT anyone.

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'd rather be hyper-vigilant than a rape victim.

And let's not talk as if I walk around randomly whirling said knife in people's faces. I've drawn and showed it once, in my life, because I was in a moving vehicle where running away, screaming for attention from others, etc, was not an option. I also didn't use it. I screamed a lot, postured, and told the guy if he touched me again I'd disembowel him, but I didn't actually put the blade anywhere near him.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Geeze man, give Microlamia a break. She is hardly the person to go on a stabbing frenzy.

Avoiding going to places where bad things might happen is a very good indication she takes things seriously and not reacting out of fear. Most of this type of information is commonly communicated by young women. Don't go out alone; if out alone, don't dress sexy or wear makeup; don't ever drink anything unless you opened the container yourself; etc.

Why do many young women follow these guidelines... because MOST guys are alike... persistent. Why should a gal have to fend off multiple advances, because a guy is going to be persistent and just keep trying to wear down the gal. Always pushing it.

Why is this a complex issue? Because being persistent is also how you build a relationship with someone that likes you. Only it is called dedication and reliability, not persistence. Same thing though... hard headedness.

So how is a gal to know if a guy really likes her or is just after sex? Who knows, but guys think about sex most of the time. So probably thinking about sex whether or not he likes the woman or not.

Back to weapons. If doing all she can to avoid bad situations but still have a life, then carrying a weapon is a big decision. Firstly, if you carry, you should be properly trained with the weapon and the local laws. In addition, you should be willing to use the weapon. And finally, the weapon is only good in hand, so you need to be able to deal with the situation when you don't have weapon in hand.

With lethal force comes responsibility. At first a weapon can empower someone. Take away fear and allow them to get through life. However, given time, a weapon can develop into a mental crutch. Without the weapon or fear the weapon will be taken away takes over. A person can be more fearful after getting a weapon than before.

When you criticize someone for carrying a weapon, judge them, what is the point?

I knew a woman that saved herself from being raped by three guys by using pepper spray and a knife. She went to jail for a night because they claimed she attacked them... she was let out of jail, the three ended up convicted and put in jail for a long time. Would you rather that maybe she not have carried the pepper spray and knife... which she only had in hand because she was aware enough to notice she was being followed.

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

THANK YOU, REBEL WADO.

I can't help noticing how unfair it is that I stay AWAY from possible violence so much...I don't go to social events, I don't drink, I wear functional clothes and look more androgynous than sexual, but Giacomo actually just recast me as some sort of aggressor.

10. seiken steve

Which refers back to my earlier post, #89.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Let me see....

12. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

You know it's possible to be "vigilant" and not a rape victim? Millions of women do it everyday!

My issue is that your hyper-vigilance comes in the form of arming yourself and then presenting this weapon. If your hyper-vigilance was not going out, or making sure you were always chaperoned in the presence of men I wouldn't mind, its the fact that your hyper-vigilance has taken such a super-aggressive form. I have no idea under what circumstances you would actually kill, but the combination of paranoia and lethal force is rarely a good one. It's just asking for tragedy.

EDIT: I don't think you are an aggressor, I just think your armed and nervous and this makes me concerned that you will end up doing something to someone and regret it.

13. seiken steve

And your comment about wishing to stay single for life, carrying a an open knife at all times and that in your own words most people are 'douchebags' in your opinion. To me these traits make you more of a worry than the dude chatting my mate up if I'm honest.

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

No, the lateral open ones. I don't have to unfasten those. As for unfolding? Like I said I have it partially unfolded already if I see anything that might be danger.

And slicing someone up - I think that was you? No honestly if I see anyone who seems dangerous my instinct is to LEAVE THE AREA, not get into a fight.

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Super aggressive...seriously?

Didn't I already describe how my instinct was NOT to actually use it, but to get the hell away if at all possible? Why insist on recasting that as super aggression?

16. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Didn't I already detail how being single for life was for other, primary reasons? And no, I don't see all people as douchebags.

And yes, I might seem mildly insane for being so hyper-vigilant, but I am from an area where you can't even walk around alone or get into a taxi office without 7 kids surrounding you and threatening to rape you. Did I mention we have psychos of the kind who nailed someone to the floor while he was still conscious, too?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  17. seiken steve

Most of the post. Was ignored there (come on, how often do I post a good point to these discussions, play along!)

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Okay, on the issue of being raped by someone you know.

"Someone you know" can mean hardly know to know well for a long time. Could mean neighbor, acquaintance, date, or boyfriend.

There is no one answer for every situation.

Let's take the case that is someone that the women has known for a long time (a friend). In the case of an attempted rape (woman fends off attacker), the women could pursue charges against the friend. What that would do is make it a legal matter and I believe it goes on the man's record. A couple things, one is that the man could become a registered sex offender... basically changing his life forever. The other is if the women does nothing (no charges) then what is to keep the man from trying the same crap on some other woman (one not as able to defend herself as well)?

Okay, now let's say it was attempted rape but all the guy did was try to force a kiss from the woman. Should the guy then be labeled as a sex offender for the rest of his life?

We have not even got to actual physically rape, but a women can still feel violated emotionally.

This is a very complex subject. I don't believe women should ever have to feel violated, but I admit it happens.

Is there a correlation between feeling violated emotionally and rape? Is there some way to reduce the risk of rape by reducing the risk of being violated emotionally such as having women the opportunity to be more in control of situations?

Not sure where I'm getting at, but it is complex.

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Play along? I might do that when people stop throwing around the strawman of a violent psycho who can't wait to stab someone.

I've pointed out numerous times that my instinctive response is to stay away from danger, not get in anyone's face...and I actually got labelled super aggressive. Just for being aware of how small I am and how little I'd be able to fight back if that knife were 6in away in a zip pocket when someone decided I'd make a nice flesh light.

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'VE SAID MULTIPLE TIMES THAT I ALREADY DO THIS.

Why the heck are you choosing to ignore half my posts in favor of the isolated one liners that you can interpret to make me seem unreasonable?