Rape

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Kyokushin Guy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yes I do. I am very wary. My small lock knife that I keep on me for self defense, I literally keep half open in my pocket ready to whirl out if I feel the danger levels in a situation are anything above green. I've thankfully never had to use it, but I keep it easily usable none the less.

And yes, that includes when I'm with large adult males I know well. Even when I used to DJ with my male friend who's 100kg I always had it immediately available on me.

Paranoid, I know. Better paranoid than raped.

Obviously, having a taser on you doesn't make you rape proof, but I'd rather unload 50 000 volts into someone at range than go hand to hand.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Even though I said "you" I was thinking womankind in general. Learnt by now not to include you in any discussion about the average person :p

Without wanting to derail the thread too much what do you define as a situation above green? I'm a bit meh about someone prone to adrenal dumps and already proven to be dangerous in a controlled martial arts environment having easy access to a knife.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*grabs popcorn*

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

445 miles between us ;)

5. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yellow or red for me would be anyone showing an overt sign of being predatory. I don't mean I'd hurt anyone unless they actually did anything to me, but I see danger signs and I'm keeping said lock knife easy to hand.

Example would be the time a few years ago when I was in a taxi and a guy started being aggressive and wanting to touch me. Running away wasn't an option...talking to him calmly didn't do it...dude wouldn't get his hands off me so I pulled my lock knife. I didn't use it but I held it up and told him inbetween screaming that if he touched me again I'd do something unnecessarily disgusting and fatal to him that I won't type on here because it would definitely make work for the mods.

Point was...as soon as I sensed signs of being dangerous I already eased it open in my pocket so if the worst case scenario happened I could actually use it.

And I understand you being concerned, but I reckon it would take a LOT for me to actually hurt someone. Even with a violent, larger adult male in my face being sexually aggressive and grabbing at me my instinctive response was to scream, shout, posture, and generally freak everyone out rather than actually harm the guy.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

good thing i brought a lot of popcorn.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

and what if you whip it out and stick it in me (hehehe innuendo) before you even understand the situation.
    say im a lost tourist and i tap you on the shoulder and that frightens you then you stab me - isnt that almost as bad as rape?

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I wouldn't, lol. I might scream and freak out, but it would take a lot for me to actually use it.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I think you maybe missing the whole picture.

She is already at high risk for assault at 3.

The first thing to examine is her current environment. Both in home and away from home

For example, are her parents or surrounding family members doing the best they can to provide security?

The second thing to examine, is how violence is started in her current environment.
    For example is it one of much domestic, or criminal? What types of crimes are more prevailant?

The third thing, all of the training isnt going to help, unless she is prepared mentally for the environment of which she is subjected to

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

What happens if the rapist is ust a pushy and drunk young male who doesn't realise what he is doing? Or it takes place indoors with little warning (I assume you don't keep your handbag next to you at all times).

From what I recall most rapes don't take place in an overly aggressive manner and aren't always conducted by people who are so obviously bearing ill will. I think we have to take account of scenarios where all you need to do is break contact with the individual and control your personal space until it hammers home into the other persons head what they are actually trying to do.

I can think of a couple of potential rape scenarios in which a Tazer would only become appropriate after a lot of escalation.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Pushy and drunk? That's basically what I just described.

I didn't have it in my handbag. It was in one of the pocket of my combat jacket.

I'm not sure about simply making them aware of what they are about to do. Unless they were simply uncommonly naive, rapists know they are trying to make you do something against your will.

What kind of scenarios are you thinking of? Sorry to be dumb but would you mind elaborating?

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

similarly I don't really do light drinking, I am a go all out but don't do it very often kind of person, sitting in a pub or even most times I am in a nightclub (which isnt often) I don't really bother with it, it takes a concert or some similar kind of event to put me in the mood, other wise id just rather have my senses about me. Not to mention that the type of consistent light drinking that my friends do is the quickest way to earn a pair of man ****.

13. 47MartialMan

Especially in jail

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This may be off-topic, but I once took part in an online survey being run by some American university. It was on some "take part in social psychology studies" site, so I clicked one that was asking for university educated men in my demographic.

Every question was along the lines of

"I have used physical violence to force a woman to have sex: never, occasionally, frequently, always..." (you get the idea - I think it was a seven point scale, but that was the principle).

It carried on "I have used verbal threats to make a woman...", "I have used blackmail to make a woman..."... and so on, covering a variety of means of coercion and sexual acts.

I have to say, I gave up after about 50% of the questions as it was freaking me out. I took away a very depressing impression that using various sleazy ways to coerce women into sexual acts isn't all that uncommon in American universities.

Would any of you who've been to a US college be able to comment? Is this sort of thing considered acceptable amongst some guys at college?

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Seen that, Moosey, it's damn scary.

16. 47MartialMan

College Males- fresh out of High School are looking to screw anything

Nowadays its date rape after a drug was slipped into her drink.

In "my days", it was not date rape after she, partaken in using a drug.

She knew she was going to get high and get......

Young Females have to be more careful then ever. Young Males are like predatory animals, instead of killing, they are on the prowl to......

Simply, becoming (by choice) pregnant and being a mom, is how most women prove their feminity

Having sex, is how most men prove their maculinity

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

*sigh*

Consent to drink alcohol =/= consent to have sex.

18. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

But there are two different kinds of rapists.

One that wants to rape you, because he wants to harm you and has decided that having sex with you against your will is an effective way to traumatise you.

AND

One that doesn't want to rape you and doesn't think of himself as a rapist even though you are not consenting.

"When she says no, she really means yes"

^^
    These guys for whatever reason actually do not comprehend what they are doing, they think their assertiveness and manly desire to have sex with you regardless of what you think is turning you on and justifying the act.

19. 47MartialMan

Some say that alcohol really does not have you do anything you did not want to do.

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

They're still raping and it's their fault for holding that entitled mindset in which anything a woman says must mean yes to sex. They know what NO means but are choosing to believe that NO is not valid because it wounds their self esteem less.

If you've already said NO what else are you supposed to do to de-escalate? When are you supposed to go from de-escalation to actually defending yourself? After you have said multiple 'NO's? After you have screamed 'I SAID NO!!!' If he doesn't respect NO how do you know that further attempts to get him to understand won't just put you in more danger? How do you know he will respect the next 'No'?

Honestly, any guy who doesn't stop after you have clearly said 'No!' or 'Stop!' or 'Don't!' or some variant like 'No no, I don't want to do this' just needs to have 50 000 volts pumped into him. Or sever a tendon for that matter...or drop him on his head if you're big enough. The escalation started when you said NO and he kept going.