Rape

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Kyokushin Guy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

From that paper I cited, less than a quarter of the woman surveyed who were raped were physically forced. Roughly the same number of women were raped as a direct result of intoxication/incapacitation. Date rapes would fall into the intoxication/incapacitation category.

I agree that BJJ is probably the go to for defence against physically forced rape in progress, but real self defence should happen before that. Over half of sexual assaults happen in either the victim's home or the perpetrator's home (not including co-owned homes). So at some point it is quite probable that either the victim went back to her attacker's home (good luck on getting a conviction after that) or she invited him into her home.

All of this stuff is basic self protection and doesn't require a mat or a belt of any colour in order to teach/learn.

2. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Could someone post the 'principles of self defence' ie stuational awarness etc for referance

I have seen it posted before, but failed to make a note of it, and can'nt find the post

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Why are we only addressing women that get raped? Men also get raped.

And to add to what Holy said about not drinking alcohol, also keep an eye on the drink you do have.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

A few comments...

Regarding drinking and alcohol it's a tricky one as the cast majority of sexual assaults are perpetrated by someone known to the woman involved (it's about 80% last I heard). So in a lot of cases is done by someone who comes from some sort of position of trust. Of course this also includes men who you just met in a bar so there are degrees of trust involved. So if you do drink it doesn't really work to say you will never drink when there are males around, because this will include pretty much all family and friend gatherings. Not drinking is also not going to stop you from being sexually assaulted in most cases. Yes, it will probably decrease your chances of a serious sexual assault following a less serious one by your ability of being better able to fight off anyone, but as mentioned before these are people you know so they are going to already be close enough to you for an assault to occur, whether you are drunk or not.

So that level of trust lets them get close to you so you are already in a grappling sort of situation. In terms of martial arts that will help you I'd go with good BJJ, Judo or modern Japanese JJ.

BJJ has already been mentioned for obvious reasons. Emphasis of the guard and fighting starting from your back and rolling.

Judo will teach you more of an explosive technique in a must-not-be-on-your-back-ever mindset to reverse the position as soon as possible. Also has heavy sparring.

Good JJJ, especially if self defence oriented should teach you the relevent parts of the above but include some more nasty business to move them around.

But the best way to prevent rape is the following. No arguments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i'm a bloke (a bloke who loves a good drink) but its very rare i get properly drunk when out clubbing, never if i'm out with the girls and only if i have enough of the lads around that i'm safe. (sunday night big clubbing event i had 4-5 pints and last night i drove)

if i want a real heavy one i do it in a house.

i honestly think if more people followed suit the world would be a lot safer.

(also relevent to micro's comment i'm just rubbish at the internets)

6. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm cautious of that approach.

As a -female- friend pointed out to me, it would be a rather restrictive life if every-time she met a man or considered meeting with a male -like a work-mate/training partner/mutual friend- in she spent the meeting making the scenario 100% rape proof.

In order to have a normal social life or sex life in the 21st Century you pretty much have to trust people that they wont rape you, it would be incredibly impractical to expect women to live their lives constantly minimising the chances of rape every-time they were in public.

Sure I as a man make pre-cautions not to get robbed, but I still leave my house, I still from time to time walk home alone at night and I don't check everyone I meet for a weapon. While I like to think I am switched on with regards to self-defence I know there is a certain point where I just need to accept that I will have to let my guard down eventually and all I can do is trust that, for example, the drunk people in the bar I work in wont try and rob me.

A better solution -but an off-topic one- is providing a sexual education to men that will stop them from raping, rather than just advising women that for self defence reasons they should not engage in scenarios where they might get raped.

7. seiken steve

i know i'm walking a fine line here and risk a big flamming but..

surely there must be a small percentage of intoxication cases were it wasnt rape, but a case of the morning regrets?

i mean more than once i've woken up next to someone and have no idea what went on, it clear we've 'done the deed' but i've no memoory (due to booze or back when i indulged in illicit substances)
    Due to my attitude in life i just laugh it off and assume all was well, but were the roles reversed it'd be pretty easy for the female to cry rape despite it being consentual at the time? Esspecially if she's in a relationship or doesnt like the dude the next day.

hope this makes sense/comes across properly. I know a lady wo works PR for a number of footballers and she claims this happens often (girl goes home with footballer, feels bad about having a one night stand/cheating on partner, claims rape in the morning) but surely she's bias right?

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Exactly Giacomo that's why I get annoyed when people put so much emphasis on what the woman "should" do to stop rape. Rape is not some isolated thing that only happens when you go near 'bad' areas or hang with bad people. The only surefire way would be to live in a metal vault and be fed through a tiny slit in the door.

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'd say if it were two equally drunk people, then no, not rape. But if one was drunk to the point of being incapacitated and someone who was still lucid took advantage of them, yes that's rape since they were not in a position to say either yes or no.

Good luck figuring that out though given that alcohol blows out your memory.

10. Kyokushin Guy

Kyokushin Guy Valued Member

Hi Panda,

The reason is because I was asking about male against female rape, rather than about male against male.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Women have, much more rarely, raped men.

Usually by either waiting until they were asleep or using drugs.

It's about 1% or less of rapes I think, but it does happen.

12. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I think the concept of rape prevention is applicable to both genders

Is there anything that is different for male victims?

Tasers are a double edged sword. Sure you can tase an attacker, but if we can all have one , an attacker might like to tase you!

I like the Righty approach..It's the rapists that need to change thier behavior.

I have 2 young daughters so this topic is very close to the bone for me

I think it more likely for a man to be raped by another man

13. seiken steve

trying to stay within TOS here but if a bloke doesnt want to do it there are certain physiologic issues there which may be a factor to the low percentages. male on male rape i'd guess is more common.

i'm pretty ignorant of the whole thing to be fair.

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Ugh, I can't believe I'm actually giving a 'rape facts 101' here, but I'll try...

2 factors:

- REM sleep. Erections occur naturally during that phase. All you'd have to do would be wait for him to fall asleep...

- Sex hormones get released during fight or flight. That's how rape victims show arousal even when they're revolted and terrified half to death. Your adrenal glands dump androgens along with the 'danger' hormones (adrenaline, cortisol etc)...and we all know what androgens do.

And then there's the obvious route of slipping someone drugs.

God damn it I feel morbid now. Going to go listen to one of my rare happy songs to get that out my head.

15. seiken steve

fair one, told you i was ignorant!
    think i'm going to do the same!
    thanks for the info though

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

50k volts sort of takes the enthusiasm out of Mr. Willy....

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah. Tasers are illegal over here though which sucks. Pretty much any self defense device that works is illegal.

Not sure what we're supposed to use on a rapist. A kind but firm talking to?

As my friend said to me...'Sorry, girl, your nation just likes raping women...'

18. Kyokushin Guy

Kyokushin Guy Valued Member

Dont feel too bad Microlamia, over in my country some of them want the women to have their rape-babies

(Did I just hijack my own thread?)

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

As far as I see a lot of countries want women to shut up and have their rape babies...Ireland is the same. Google the X case if you're particularly morbid.

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Do you think you'd get a chance to use it? It just reminds me of that video that shows how thinking you're safe because you conceal carry a gun isn't true when you take into consideration the time to draw and aim. I don't know anything about HAOVs for rape but if I was planning on doing it I wouldn't stay a few arms lengths away from you and politely inform you, I'd grab you from behind and slam you into a wall or something. Add to that that every girl I know keeps her crap in a handbag, including one who has her rape alarm in there despite me telling her she's a fool, and I'm really not sold on the idea that having access to tasers would achieve anything.

Just my ponderings.