Rape defense: Faking a seizure????

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Microlamia, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I heard somewhere that faking an epileptic fit may be a good way to deter a rapist. Does that sound accurate to you? I can't imagine someone low enough to commit a rape will be put off by you having a seizure.

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

How does one fake a seizure? It would be a bit weird, I mean someones about to be raped, I don't know how the situation would start or where it would be or how you would know you are about to be raped to fake a seizure? Would it work for guys in prison?

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Presumably the idea is that the rapist will be wanting to assert his dominance and physically control/overpower his victim. If the victim is having a seizure, it takes control out of his hands.

It also disconcerts him by breaking his internal schema of how the event will happen - that fact that it's not part of his plan or his fantasy about how the rape will occur will presumably "throw" him and make him uncomfortable enough to call it off.

I guess it's meant to be the same reason that women are advised to shout, swear, fight, bite etc - because it's not how the rapist would imagine things to happen, it throws off his fantasy about being the big dominant man over the helpless woman.

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

better to "fake" being a cannibal and to start eating his vulnerable parts.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well in my expeirence.......... lol

Out of any 'trick' Telling them you have HIV would be the most effective.

But then 'tricks' are never that effective.

Being the superior Fighter is a much better aim in life.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Long shot. how is a rapists supposed to tell the difference between a woman who's hysterical because she's being raped and one having a seizure. Sorry just doesn't add up.

It's certainly not going to stop her from getting punched in the face I don't think. And what is she supposed to do... practice having seizures? What a false economy. Better to work on situational awareness than to fake seizures.

Then again any ounce of hope or anything she might pull off that will get her the split second to make a run for it or bring help then sure why not. Just not the first line of defense.

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

That's what I thought. But breaking his pre-planned view of the event doesn't actually incapacitate him. What if he reacted by slapping the victim a bit, waiting for the 'seizure' to be over, then raping her? Much better to a) learn to recognize the danger and stay away and b) be well trained at fighting so even if you do get attacked he wouldn't be able to rape you.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i agree with slip. IMO such a tactic is a gamble, where you could work and rely on much more effective and efficient methods.

secondly, in the event that it does not throw him off, what's preventing him from wanting to rape a woman mid-seizure?

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

If he's willing to be a rapist he may be willing to be a necrophiliac! I wouldn't depend on that defense.

10. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's one of those weird bits of logic that people think might work. It's not exactly something that gets lab tested or anything. I remember a similar one a while back about shouting Fire! instead of rape since people were more likely to come and help. Since most rape happens inside by someone you know rather than the few cases yet stereotypical situation of a stranger attacking you in public it seems bad advice to me.

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You can't fake a seizure.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I was also told this in a psychology lecture, it was based on a women who was beaten to death in New York over in hour whilst the local residents who heard the screams for help ignored them, similar cases happen semiregulary. The advice was that to shout FIRE instead of HELP when you were attacked (not nec being raped) was more likily to attract attention as in a fire it is your own self interest that makes people fight a local fire.

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

You probably can't fake a seizure ACCURATELY. You could certainly roll your eyes up, drop, stiffen, and start convulsing. A lay person without medical knowledge probably wouldn't know the difference. I'm fairly sure a rapist wouldn't, they generally tend to have low IQs. But yeah, that's beside the point. Someone who is lacking enough in conscience to rape another human being, probably won't care much if you have a seizure.

14. Moi

It's the power in the movement that would be difficult to fake but as you say 'who knows?'
    Crapping yourself may be a useful defence??

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

If it was the one thing that might save you from otherwise certain rape, sure.

16. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

But that's also the problem, in public this might work but in a building your first reaction to someone shouting fire would be split between going to look and getting out of the building.

I guess my real point was that there aren't any cookie cutter solutions to issues like this, since the situation and psychology of each case is so different and what may work in one occasion could be detrimental in another.

17. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

The best rape defense is probably learning BJJ

I doubt a seizure would deter some rapists from getting their "fix". I mean, there are people out there sick enough to rape animals, babies, grannies and dead people!

18. Moi

I've said for years it should be taught to all girls in school

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

BJJ would be great for if things went wrong but some training in other areas is needed too.

You really don't want to be waiting untill your on the floor to apply your "self defence plan". Obviously there is a whole host of things that happen before this and, IMO, they need working on too.

20. Moi

I think most rapes are carried out by people known to the victim. BJJ would be the safety net I guess. Best chance of beating a larger attacker but anything is a longshot unfortunately against some attacks