Randori in Koryu

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Freyr, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

http://www.wklok.com/mylife/2006_10_taikai_02/2006_10_taikai_02-Pages/Image50.html

Is this what you refer to?

Edit: http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11914.html this is an old kendo-world thread discussing it.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That looks even better than I thought it would. I'd love to spar those guys.

Best regards,

-Mark

4. Kogusoku

Yes, it looks like a lot of fun.

It must be quite tempting for a number of koryu practitioners to test their techniques and skills in a free-for-all like that.

Best,

-Steve

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Absolutely. I would dearly love to see a match. I think I would just have a hard time from stopping my jaw dropping in awe.

Thr Bear.

6. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

Now I would be very curious to see how it goes too.

7. Kogusoku

The only thing I don't like about it is the boxing ring. It would be better to have it in an open area.

Apparently, you're not allowed to do any form of kumi uchi or grappling in this neither. Pity, it would be quite something to see.

8. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Steel? That sounds pretty crazy. I wonder what the injury rate is with those things.

9. Kogusoku

Since the armour and padding is quite substantial, apart from a bit of bruising and a severe ringing sensation in the ears, I'd say not much.

10. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Interesting.

I'm curious, does anyone here know how this form of kendo is scored?

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ask Rabid Hamster, he he he he he.
    You should have seen him after his last tourney.

The Bear.

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

After 4 years of full speed, light contact sparring with steel-blades(some safety-rules that makes it not excactly 100% true to actual techniques, though), my only injuries consists of a minor dent in my forehead from an axe (hence my avatar), and a blow to the nerve-point in my left elbow. (I've allso had a overhead-blow across my face and right eye, but that was without face-protection and with a ash-sword :rolleyes: )

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

14. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

Fascinating, thanks very much for posting this!

Are you at all familiar with the rules or how the winner is determined?

In one of the videos it appears as though one of the competitors attempts to kick his opponent in the groin - I wonder if this is legal or if he was just having a bad day.

It is a shame that they do not allow grappling - I too would love to see that in this kind of scenario.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres a thread devoted to it over at e-budo in the sword arts forum. for the record it looks more like a kick to the chest then groin, and I belive that there is no winners / losers as such, its done in the spirit of learning not sport.

16. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

Thanks once again - the e-budo thread was very informative.

It seems that for the purposes of the tournament, match winner is determined by first decisive contact.

Also, contrary to what Kogusoku believed, grappling is in fact permitted. It seems also that targets are not restricted, though it is hoped that one would not choose to 'unleash' all over someone's unarmored back.

I wonder how widespread participation has become. It would be fascinating to see, for example, a member of Araki ryu Torite Kogusoku compete in such a tournament. I know Ellis Amdur wrote of fairly unhinged sparring while training in that school (though they used shinai, not shinken).