Random food thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not exactly the healthy eating thread. :eek:

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Has anyone got any good scone recipes? Weve tried to make them loads of tunes and they never seem right, texture seems funny. I'm beginning to wonder if its something in the products we use, like the flour is all wrong or something.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ok, I can accept that. I prefer my mayo with fish but I'll go with it.

Cheese? CHEESE?! No, no, no, no, no! The only good cheese is cooked cheese, like in cheese scones. Few things beat a freshly baked cheese scone :)

I have real trouble with honey generally, I find it far too sweet. The only time I seem able to stomach it is when it's mixed with lemon juice and heated up as a treatment for sore throats, chesty coughs 'n such.

Why not? We have protein, calcium, fruit, veg, fibre... :whistle:

4. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I haven't read this whole thread but in regards to left over pizza my way is to put two slices together and heat it up in the toasty maker until hard and crisp, I think that's its actually better then the original.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Butter, jam , cream.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The clotted cream is there as a luxurious sweet alternative to butter. Logic (and taste) therefore determine its place under the jam. You wouldn't spread butter on top of jam.

The cream should be at least a cm thick while the jam is spooned and drizzled over the cream rather than spread.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

anyone who thinks clotted cream is a substitute for butter is clearly morally defective.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

JWT is correct. The fat helps bring out the flavour of the scone, just as butter does with bread. So it has to be scone, cream, then jam. This requires proper clotted cream and runny jam of course, not cheap and nasty alternatives.

Similarly the tea to accompany it must be loose leaf and brewed in a pot.

Mitch

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Wicked child! Never repeat this nonsense on MAP!

Mitch

10. John Titchen

Despite some of the bizarre things you accused one of my students of doing during our scenario training on Saturday, if you think this you've not lived!

(the best reply to one accusation went "Your WIFE?" pause "YOUR wife?")

11. LemonSloth

Butter in sandwiches...

...To butter one slice or two? :thinking:

12. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Some yearbs ago I would say two. Then I started using other spreads... Now I am butterless...

13. John Titchen

Two. :Angel:

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There's people who butter one slice? Only having one side of their bread buttered sounds like a metaphor for the kind of person who would only butter one side.

Although speaking of toast, has anyone here ever tried a toast sandwich? They're surprisingly good. Not a toastie by the way, but a legit toast sandwich.

15. LemonSloth

:wow:

I'm a one-slice butterer myself. Buttering two slices is clearly too much. I was mortified to see someone in a sandwich shop buttering both slices today. It was so bad I had to have a sit down. And a nibble. But that's not the point!

And Aiki - butterless?!

By toast sandwich do you mean just using two slices of toast in place of regular bread with whatever filling you want in the middle, or two slices of toast with a toast filling or two slices of toast with nothing but butter...?

16. John Titchen

I use toasted bread rather than plain bread for most of my favourite sandwiches. The thought of a bacon sandwich without the bread being pre-toasted and buttered and the hot bacon melting the butter along with it's own fat into the crunchy bread is frankly quite disturbing.

I used to love cold roast chicken and sliced cold roast potatoes in a toasted bread sandwich, but these days I rarely have any spuds that last long enough.

17. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Yes... Butterless. I only use butter now for baking cakes...
    My favourite spread atm is avocado with wochester sauce, lemon and salt. You can throw bits of chilly peppers if you like the burn. Humus is another favourite and I am from the mediterranean side of the world so plenty of olive oil in everything. I also got in the habbit of making my own pesto which helped in me being overweight now I am sure.

As for toast sandwiches, try this for breakfast:
    one slice of very toaasted bread, garnish with sliced garlic (you should rub a cut garlic in and then slice it and put it on the toast), basel, tomato and fetta cheese. Olive oil on top and let it sink into the toast.

Eat.

Best breakfast in the world! It gives you that morining kick with the garlic and the cheese just makes it beefy.

Give it a try. Ideal if you go out doing sports in the morning as it is not very heavy.

18. John Titchen

Do you work from home? I'm just wondering about the garlic breath throughout the morning.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm ill and haven't eaten in two days. You guys are killing me.

Who's tried a Scooby snack? A sandwich with 3 bits of bread.

All 3 slices buttered of course.

20. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Sometimes I work from home but even when I don't, I don't go around snogging people ^^

And the garlic breath goes away fairly quickly plus the basel disguises it quite well.

Now, when I just eat raw garlic in the morning to wake me up, my girlfriend does complain.

EDIT: if you don't use dehoderant, people wont notice the garlic breath XD