Random food thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, Nov 9, 2014.

1. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Jelly and jam? Madness.peanut or almond butter always with marmite!

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Shudder.

Marmite should have it's own seperate thread, so that it doesn't contaminate discussions of food.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ooh, now there's a thought!

Anyone tried making almond butter?

Mitch

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, it's not something I've ever heard of before. But it does sound rather nice!

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That sounds simultaneously disgusting and yet so very tempting... :thinking:

But then you're double buttering your bread! You monster. :p

Agreed. Smooth peanut butter is the worst thing since sliced bread.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, it just sounds simultaneously disgusting and revolting.

You have to put butter on before anything else. It's the law, or something.

Truer words were never spoke.

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Peanut butter is a spread, like jam. Therefore butter goes on first. :)

8. LemonSloth

But marmite is love! Dark, creepy, stalking you at night kinda love and smells like a dog's breath, but it's still love! :p

My wife hates marmite with a passion. Can't even stand the smell of it. I don't think she ever forgave one set of our daughters' grandparents for the time they dressed her head to toe in overly cute pink (which she hates), stinking of old granny perfume and literally covered head to toe in marmite (which our daughter loved). She came up demanding kisses and cuddles from mummy.

It was not a good day to be mummy :D.

Well yeah, but it has butter in the name cuz! :p

Wait...I'm confused...butter's a spread too, no? And peanut butter does have "butter" in the name...

:wow:

*mind = blown*

:p

Ham sandwich spread - aside from butter, coleslaw/horseradish/mustard/brown sauce/ketchup/jam?

9. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

For those marmite haters out there, your loss. Trust me, marmite and peanut or almond butter (crunchy as so many of you agree) is the best comfort food in the world! After a rainy day nothing tastes better than a hot cup of tea and a slice of hot bread with peanut butter and marmite.
    Hate jams, love marmite...

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah. Done it loads as buying it from the shop costs a small fortune and I want it as 'clean' as possible.

Edit: it's not that much cheaper to make your own, but I can make larger amounts than the thimble size jars of the stuff you get here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Sweet pickle, chutney or crab apple jelly are the only acceptable alternatives to mustard.

I love horseradish sauce, but I really can't imagine it with ham. Beef - yes. Fish - yes. Anything else - no.

12. ned

ned Valued Member

Always hotly debated in our familly on holiday;
    on a scone,jam or cream first ? (think this one depends which side of the Tamar you come from)

Custard-hot unless it's in a tart.
    Curry-hot so you have to drink lots of lager
    Pizza morning after-hot,thats what microwaves were invented for.
    Peanut butter sandwich-hold the butter,embrace the dryness,your arteries will thank you for it.

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You can buy it in the UK for about 11 quid a kilo which is pretty well priced considering only 25g or so go onto a piece of toast.
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/almond-butter/10575082.html

14. LemonSloth

Jam, definitely jam first.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

really? always cream first man. :)

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Maybe on your pieces of toast... ;)

Think we pay 7.50 euros for about 75-100 grams. Finland has some of the most expensive food in the EU. No one mocks you here for shopping in German supermarkets.

Thanks for the link though. Still, prefer to make it myself so I know what goes in it (health issues).

17. LemonSloth

I always seem to have more trouble getting the jam to spread over the cream than the other way round. :)

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

see, i'm a heavy creamer and a light jam-mer. so for me, getting the cream to spread on top of the jam would be a problem in that situation.

if i was a physicist, i would work up a formula on relative viscosity of whipped versus regular cream cheese, and modeling that against the viscosity of a number of brand-name spreads.

also, what do you do if jam is chunky?

oof...first world problems.....

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What?! :eek: No, no, no again. It's this:
    Mayonnaise on the bottom bread.
    Lay down the cheese on that, then the ham, then either lettuce or cabbage.
    Then spread mustard on the top bread, preferably with a little spice to it, e.g. Grey Poupon (heh heh heh, I just had a flashback to Wayne's World!)

Perfect ham sandwich.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'd rather alternate bites -- jam, clotted cream, back and forth. Or a few jams, then a few creams. :D Gotta love both.

Honey isn't bad, either, but I like it better on a baguette than on a scone.