Rampage or Machida?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by The Wiseman, Nov 13, 2010.

1. eltgire

eltgire New Member

The Falcoa/Harris fight was pretty interesting. Falcoa clearly wins the first two rounds, and then Harris starts to get upset towards the end of the third, when Falcoa is hanging back. Joe starts to rip Falcoa a bit because he's not entertaining, but in the same way, he took the first two rounds and now he's supposed to cater to Harris by rushing in? If Harris had any hopes of winning he would have pushed the action, but he didn't. There was no reason for Falcoa to have a sense of urgency.

As for Rampage, I was stunned that he won, and he obviously was too. Joe had to freakin' hand him a reason for winning in the post fight interview. It was your aggressiveness, Rampage, right? Right??? All Rampage can say is that Machida kicked his ass. I was really disappointed. I thought Machida did enough to win, and inflicted more damage.

2. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Meh. Do I still need spoiler tags 24 hours after the fight?

Round 1 was a toss-up just because both guys were feeling each other out.

Round 2 I valued Lyoto's frequent and consistent control against the cage higher than Rampage's single takedown, as well as Lyoto's frequently landed kicks and punches vs. Rampage's rarely landed punches.

Round 3 was all Lyoto.

Overall, Lyoto landed more strikes, controlled the Octagon, and almost finished Rampage.
    Rampage never had Lyoto in danger, did not dictate the pace of the fight, and insisted on just winging punches no matter how few landed or how much energy they wasted.

I had Machida winning the fight.
    The fact that he didn't just shows how much MMA is still chained to boxing's scoring system.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just like the judges I'm biased anyway but still, strikes I almost always score over octagon control but the ones Machida landed didn't really do anything and clearly weren't meant to. Ramapge was pushing forward clearly looking to land heavy shots and finish the fight so I gave it to him. That said way I scored it probably would of been a draw I had round 3 pretty much 10-8. Thing is just because Machida nearly finished him in round 3 doesn't mean he should automatically win the fight but it is why I'd prefer them to go back to the 15 minute rounds and judge the whole fight

Definately someone I'm watching closely but I didn't like the fight just because I saw Sotripolous fight in australia and really liked what I saw but Joe Lauzon is becoming a favourite of mine. Hopefully that loss won't put him too far down the rankings.

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Machida won that no question if not spectacularly, it was bad and odd decision.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

why the spoilers ? if you don't no the results yet and click on a thread called rampage or machida on a martial arts forum you know what your getting into lol.

I am not sure if rampage slipped or fell due to the head kick but didn't he end up on the floor after machida attacked him at the end of the 2nd round and was in a pretty precarious position until the bell saved him, plus I would argue that in the first two rounds his striking was far more numerous and effective than rampages, and the fact that he actually did try to end the fight in the 3rd round (and came close with the arm bar) should have given him the edge on the scorecard, rampage was the wrong decision in my opinion.

that I completely agree with though, 15 minute round fights have there own problems too but things ran allot smoother when they did this compared to 5, the lots of little quick rounds boxing approach really doesn't work for MMA at all, neither does a boxing style point system.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

7. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

He's just as shocked as I was.

At least Rampage admitted he was getting his "ass whooped", and wants a rematch.

Given how much money this fight brought in, a rematch could be bigger, better, and more freaking decisive.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...now THAT is a quality gif. :)

9. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Yup, that look says it all.

Hope there is a rematch.

10. Southpaw535

Its 24 hours after the event so its fine. Also I made the effort to screw my body clock watching it live I deserve something for it :p

I'm going to have to watch the fight again (should have done by the time you're off your "break") but I don't remember machida landing that many strikes and definately not powerful ones barring the leg kicks, in which case screw it it makes up for the shogun fight. Rampage was evidently looking to land hard when he threw and I do recall him snapping machida's head with an uppercut and I'm pretty sure he did it more than once. The rounds were close no doubt but I did have them for rampage.

Exactly its too eazy to fool the judges into giving you a round by getting a takedown or a quick last second flurry.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Ugh...this (and Machida v. Rua I) is why I wish there was a more objective way to score MMA matches.

12. Oriares

Oriares Valued Member

Doctor's stoppage, TKO, KO, and submission should be the only ways to win, however long it takes. Let's get rid of the judges all together. That's my wish.

13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Haha good point. I've gotten so used to saying kimura I forgot who it was named after. Nonetheless I could easily live with it being called a shoulderlock cuz that's what it is.

14. Southpaw535

Along with the 163.4 other shoulder locks in bjj? I think keylock works fine as another name but I still prefer kimura it sounds more badass

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Wasn't old-school boxing like that, and a maximum number of rounds was introduced because there were too many deaths involved?

16. Oriares

Oriares Valued Member

I think TKO's would be able to prevent that if the refs call it the way they call it now.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good luck getting a sport like that on TV. It'd be a scheduling nightmare.

18. Southpaw535

Can't say for once gloves were introduced but from what I remember bare knuckle boxing was pretty safe even with no rounds

19. Oriares

Oriares Valued Member

Alternative: keep the time limits. If there is no KO, TKO, submission or whatever before time runs out then it's a draw.

20. Southpaw535

After 15 minutes release the jaguar?