Ramadan: A Muslim's Perspective

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Jul 21, 2012.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Dear Mappers,

A many of you already know, Ramadan is tomorrow. Ramadan is the time of the year where Muslims throughout the world fast for one month from sunrise to sunset. I thought it would be good idea to answer anyone's question considering Ramadan to the best of my knowledge.

Here are some general questions that I get asked often when I tell people I am fasting.

1) What can you eat/drink when you're fasting?

During the fast nothing is permitted to be consumed whether it is food and/or water. The things that break the fast also are smoking, and sexual relations. The philosophy behind this is that one rids one's self of worldly desires and focuses on strengthening one's mind, spirit, and body. It also puts one in a position to feel hunger, thirst, and the many other things we take for granted. It teaches (and reminds us) humility towards our fellow human beings, respect towards all living things, and appreciation for what we have.

2) If you are sick do you still have to fast?

No. If one is sick and fasting places one's life in danger, then fasting is *NOT* permitted (it is actually a sin to fast if it puts one's life in danger).

3) If a woman is pregnant/nursing does she have to fast?

No. It is usually not a problem in the first few weeks of pregnancy, but if it puts the mother and child in danger, it is *NOT* permitted to fast (sin).

That is all I can think of for now, but ask away!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Thanks for the post Warrior, that's interesting!

What is the origin of the fast, what event triggered it? How are the times for the fast decided? Islam is a global religion now after all!

I remember a friend of mine fasting when we were at school. I talked to him a little about it and had a lot of respect for the self-discipline involved in it.

Mitch

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I think all the mulsims who are fasting! Since they are doing so voluntarily, should donate the money they would otherwise spend on food to poor, starving folks. Feel the monetary hunger so to speak while helping out another in need.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

thats actually already part of ramadan and just the general ideas of islam. part of your wage should go to charity and you should donate during ramadan.

5. warriorofanart

"Since the dawn of history, man did not find any means better than fasting to ascend above yielding to his desires and worldly wishes, attain spiritual upliftment, return to spirituality, and renounce contemptible habits to which he became addicted and which led him to perdition. Divinely revealed creeds, non-Muslim societies and former nations have been familiar with the fast. Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese and many other nations knew and practiced fast for various reasons. Many still do even today." - Yasin T. al-Jibouri

Muslims fast in Ramadan because Prophet Mohammad first received revelations of the Qur'an. It is considered the holiest month in Islam.

Sur'ah 2, verse 185: "The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful."

We fast from sunrise (usually an hour and half beforehand) to sunset (until the first starts are visible). The month begins when the crescent moon is seen with the naked eye.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I guess I just know too many muslim people who act like pretentious butts, to be gentle with my language, and the ones who aren't refuse to associate outside of their closed religious circle.

7. Mangosteen

and i know christians, jewish peoples, sikhs and atheists who act the same.

your experiences with a few doesn't dictate an entire population and the variation of beliefs and practices in that religion or beliefs.

8. warriorofanart

Exactly Zaad. Muslims (I speak from the Shi'a perspective) pay both an obligatory Sadaqah (alms), and Khums.

"Khums literally means "one-fifth or 20%". In Islamic legal terminology, it means "one-fifth of certain items which a person acquires as wealth, and which must be paid as an Islamic tax". The Qur'an mentions it in the following verse:

Know that whatever of a thing you acquire, a fifth of it is for Allah, for the Messenger, for the near relative, and the orphans, the needy, and the wayfarer...(8:41)
    " - Muhammad Rizvi

Sadaqah is alms for those in need as well. Both Sadaqah and Khums have different rules.

When Ramadan is finished, one has to pay a Zakat which equals roughly $10 per person for the needy.

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Thank you Captain Obvious. I know that, but thus far my experience with 90% of the muslims I have met has been negative. It could be because I'm in Scarborough but even when treated amicably most of the muslims here tend to act xenophobic and shy away from non-muslims, act holier than thou, or be just plain dicks. Not all, but unfortunately most. As I said though, it could be because it's Scarborough.

10. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I dont think they save much money considering they eat alot at night. Hpwever I think one of the pillars of Islam is charity.

I've got a question.

If you're a builder in Saudi Arabia all day are you still not allowed to drink water? I've asked Muslims Im friends with and they all say they dont drink. I dont believe them though.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought that you weren't allowed to eat past a certain time of day. When I was in Afghanistan we were there during Ramadan and there was all sorts of stuff we were told to respect, say or not say . . . etc. whatever didn't really apply to the group I was with because we didn't engage with the public. One thing that I do remember is having to take over somebody's home during Ramadan and we had to accommodate an entire family and let them cook and eat before the sun came up because they weren't allowed to eat during the day due to the fasting.

Was this just a regional thing where I was at that you could eat during a certain time or is it a general practice in Ramadan? Or were they not practicing it the proper way? Just curious because I've actually experienced Ramadan in a Muslim dominant country, but given the situation I experienced it in a lot of the Afghan National Police didn't seem to practice it to the letter for obvious reasons.

This really has to be one of the worst months ever in the Middle East to be fasting to be honest! It's so darn hot over there.

Edit: And then I read the rest of the posts carefully instead of skimming through. My bad.

12. monk64

monk64 Valued Member

I listened to Hamza Yusuf's lecture series on Islam a couple years ago, and had not appreciated that the fast is sunup to sundown, regardless of where in the year (or location) the fast falls. So Ramadan in December is not too bad - around here, sunup is after 8am and it's getting dark by 4:30pm. Ramadan in July, however...sun's up before 6 and it doesn't get dark until 10pm.

13. warriorofanart

Don't worry Sketco, I understand where you're coming from, but in my experience it has to do with socioeconomic factors, more so than religious ones. Xenophobia has to do with the decades of turmoil that ravaged the Middle East, and only recently has there been progress towards a more democratic state(s). When a dictator uses tactics to drive a rift between different groups of people, it makes it easier for him to maintain control. I am willing to bet that most of those Muslims that you met were recent immigrants. It takes time for them to adapt. That of course doesn't excuse general douchebaggary, so make of it what you will.

As for the holier than thou attitude, it's more of a hypocritical thing so called "religious" people hold. It's ironic how they don't seem to understand that attitude makes them look the exact opposite.

Yes. Under no circumstances is anyone permitted to break one's fasting *UNLESS* it puts one's life in danger. That being said, even when the fast is intentionally broken, one has to still observe the fast and repeat that day after Ramadan.

It's all good Ero. As a non-Muslim who lived in a Muslim country, you must have some very interesting stories to tell. Please share :)

That's right Monk, excellent observation. Here in the west coast we fast approximately before 4:00 am, and break fast around 8:20 pm. Since the lunar calendar goes back 11 days every year, in a 33 year cycle we go through every day of the year.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The only thing that may be interesting was us thinking, "Oh, well if they can't eat or drink during the day then that means they can't physically fight either. Cool, month of nothing going on." Then they informed us those who were engaged in a holy war were not bound by any obligation to Ramadan. That, and some offenses done by Marines to the ANP unknowingly due to the more sensitive time period in which the Afghan forces were in some way trying to partake in Ramadan. It was a big enough cultural event for us to be talked to about though, and there definitely wasn't as much activity with the farmers for obvious reasons. I didn't really get to experience it much but they did kill a sheep or two to celebrate its ending.

15. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm fairly sure there's an app that my Muslim friends use which gives the times of the days fast down to the minute. They often update their Facebook statuses with "two minutes until I can eat!" and other such, then post pictures of the near banquets that they have after the first day's fast is over.

Fascinating.

16. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

The times they can eat is based purely on sunrise and sunset, not allowed to eat during the day, you are allowed to eat during the night.

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Also someone mentioned how they know when the month of Ramadan is, simple it's the same date every year, only difference being Muslims follow the Muslim LUNAR calendar instead of the Sun.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Are you a muslim? If not, I'd like to know where you gained the chutzpah to make such a suggestion?

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Really? They're the ones acting like dicks? Sure thing, boss.

20. Mangosteen

Regarding construction in Saudi - people sleep for a couple hours during midday so they miss the brunt of the heat