Rag doll physics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bellator Manus, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Wondering what you think of them, if you ever saw them in action.

I think, while amusing, that they aren't very good. They never account for any muscle movement. As soon as it starts working, the character model goes completely limp. It just looks weird, normal people when they die cringe and tense with pain. I think it works for explosions though.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

go play HL2. sure they dont work perfectly, but they make games look far more realistic than static death animations. and when someone is dead they do go limp, its just that most people dont instantly die like in a game.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

the main purpose of rag doll was to be entertaining, if you don't enjoy lobbing grenades at bodies in max payne 2 {the only reason to play the game}
    or crusifying people out of the air in painkiller, then maybe rag doll isn't for you.

i always loved the havok engine.

4. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

lol you're complaining aboiut the ragdoll physics in that they don't have muscle twitches... jeez... just ask yourself what was it like BEFORE ragdoll physics... was that realistic? Progress does not happen all at once, muscle twitches on multiple objects etc would take a new engine and far more processing power.

There is a new chip coming out for the PC called the "physics chip". It has been designed to take the load off of the CPU and handle all of the physics by itself, sort of like a dedicated sound card, and will spark a new era of physics detail in games... it's the way forward... http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/03/physics_chips.php

Things do not happen overnight, but they will happen soon... ;)

5. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

has anybody played Psi-Ops? i thought the physics in that game worked brilliantly, i think it uses the havok 2 engine.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yes i believe it does work off of the havok 2 engine.

psi-ops was a GREAT game, i loved it. i'd throw the bodies around for hours.

7. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I never did get around to completing that game, i got to the bit where you're in the place with all those annoying ghost creature things and then Halo 2 arrived so i stopped playing. Maybe i should dig it out again...

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Halo 2 is vomit. thats right, i said it. flame on halo fanboys.

9. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

lol, i get the feeling this thread won't be about rag doll physics for very long after that statement :D i don't think much of halo 2 offline, but on xbox live it is probably the best game i currently own

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I don't play a great variety of games but I loved the ragdolls in Half-Life 2. Which means IkkenH and I agree on something lol.

I've never been a fan of software so it's good to hear that a physics chip is going to happen. Just need a Linux chip next.

And Halo / Halo 2 - yuck! Consoles in general - yuck!

Rgds,
    David

11. Bellator Manus

That's something I said. The "While amusing . . ." part.

Fair enough. I would say, however, that static deaths were less distracting in their realisim depending on where they died. That chip sounds cool.

That's my point. If someone wasn't hit in the head, life drains from them instead of instantly going from good to dead. What also looks weird is that often is that many guys would stand up before going limp where they would hover for a second then crumple. I hated those deaths.

As for the thread. I just thought it would be interesting to hear what people thought.

12. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Hey it's a good thread topic, don't worry about that. :)

13. Omicron

Omicron is around.

...WAS the only reason I played that game. Seriously...I must have spent hours finding new and cool ways to make them flop around.

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I agree!!!!

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I've got 2 (more) words for you:

Rag-Doll Kung-Fu!!!

(ok that might be 4)

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh hell yeah. we would do the same thing. ALL DAY LONG. we'd go into a shoot out, then put in the code for infinate grenades and just throw em around, seeing how far they would go, which bookshelves we could and couldn't get them over. MAN was it fun. then we'd laugh our asses off when one would land face first in the others crotch and the TV fall on top of both of them :D

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

atleast one person has good taste.

18. doors

doors Valued Member

the rag doll phisics on dave mirra 2 are ridculous you hit somthing or fall off somthing and the characters body goes limp and if its near a railing its hand will float to it like its magnatiesed it was really horrible

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Dave Mirra 2 was loads of fun, god those were hands down, some of the best rag doll physics ever, so much fun, i'd hit the smallest bump and BAM across the level i'd go smacking and slapping the ground. i'd always go out of my way to get hit by the train, that was always a classic sight, that new BMX game if fun too, once you reach the limit of the level, it'll super slingshot your ass COMPLETELY across the level, liek a 30 second flying lesson, MAN that was funny.

20. Bellator Manus

Now that would be cool. Have the character models react to the punches. Imagine a flying side kick!