R.I.P. Chris Squier

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by wcrane, Jul 19, 2015.

1. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Did we all miss this one? I just was informed that Chris Squier, Bass player for the great band 'Yes" passed away on June 27th. Chris was a great musician to say the least. Some of his bass riffs are as legendary as some of the most classic 6-string guitar riffs. A true guitar master.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I didn't miss it.

I think a lot of people did, at least in America, because he passed away right when Gay marriage became fully legal AND the Racist Church shootings happened. His passing sort of got lost in all that.

Yes was a GREAT band. I was very sad about the news. :cry:

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

As a bassist/guitarist I noticed as well. I am/was a big fan! Chris Squire was a great player and had a great bass tone!

I like Yes a lot, although the vocals are not to my liking. The other instruments are so awesome it overcomes that.

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

As a bassist I did notice, yes. Sad sad sad.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I got to see them in concert once- I think way back in the 80's? Whenever "Owner of a Lonely Heart was a big hit?" A song by the way that was FAR from Yes at their finest.

Now this.....THIS song is Yes at their best. I like this clip for this thread because it shows Chris Squier a lot. And it is one of my favorite songs. With bands, their biggest hits are not always my favorite songs. But in this case, it is.

Sunfish, I agree in that High vocals are not usually my favorite type of vocals. The instruments are what is spectacular about this band. However, it works for this band. I can't imagine any other voice singing those songs though - even the sort of voice I prefer. However, I don't say "oh Yes- what awesome vocals!" (That would be something I would say about Queen, or Heart, or Pat Benatar, etc.)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZoQFYYx8U"]YesSongs #7: YES - Roundabout - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015