Quitting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by StorDuff, Aug 29, 2004.

1. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

I haven't been to the doctor, but if I went I am sure I could get diagnosed with ADD. I have been training in karate for a little over a year now, and unfortunately I've gotten bored. I don't see too much through, and as of late I have been missing classes and overall I have been dragging myself to the dojo. I am still interested in MA and I enjoyed my time training in karate, but I'd like to put it on hiatus for a few months. My question though, how do I go about doing this? I am not at all displeased with the instruction I've gotten, and I'm not stopping in favor of another style or school, I'm just taking a break because I'm lazy and (insert excuse here). How should I tell my sensei this? It would be easiest through email, but it doesn't seem right for me to send a letter that I'm not coming back for a while. Some of his other students have stopped for their own reasons, I was one of the more committed, and currently my class is just...me, so one on one wouldn't be hard, but what do I say? Any advice on how I can explain that I want to take a break for a few months and make it not sound like I am upset with the training or school? Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is, it's a free country I can do what I want! [​IMG]

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Honesty is always the best policy. Not everyone likes to hear the truth but in your case it is nothing against the instructor or his school, so hopefully you can just say what you told us and he will accept that.

Trust me, MA instructors are used to high turnover rates, if they started to take them personally they would be crying all of the time and blaming everyone for their problems. I think it just an unwritten rule of the MA biz that some people will stay and most will go.

If you need a break take one. Don't force yourself and go grudgingly - no one benefits from that. Take some time, maybe explore other styles. I love my karate but I really enjoy cross training. Maybe it is time for you to add some other stuff in, even if it isn't purely MA related. You could explore different cardio options or even things such as wall-climbing (which is a great workout) or other sports.

Just be honest and I hope your instructor takes it in the spirit in which it is offered.

3. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I would agree. Try a different martial art for a while, either while giving the karate a rest or going on occasion.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Just tell him you need to take a few months off because you feel your caught in a rut.

But don't do it by e-mail.

Col

5. teacher

teacher Valued Member

If you speak to him about it perhaps he could come up with some activity for you that would regain your enthusiasm. But definitely be straight with him if you feel you might want to go back.

6. DonDuuk

DonDuuk New Member

be straight with them

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I also recommend you just talk to him and tell him the truth. But I also want to encourage you to try to stick it out, even though you're having a rough time with it now.

My youngest son has been diagnosed with ADHD (ADD's first -cousin), and I have him in TKD class with me. It is difficult. Some days he just doesn't want to go. Some days he wants to go to class more than I do. Overall, it has been hard, but I can tell he is really enjoying it. From everything I have read, any sport and/or martial art is excellent for ADD/ADHD. It helps use up that extra energy. It helps you practice to focus your attention, interest, energy. Some things I've read suggest it makes your body respond naturally like the medicine that is often prescribed for it. It is good practice to help you learn to finish things you start (until you gain the confidence that you can/will finish some things you start, this problem will always be pestering you, like a little dog nipping at your heels.)

I have seen tremendous improvement in my son since he started taking TKD. If you are enjoying taking your MA, I just want to encourage you to ride through this difficult time and see if you get through to the other side. If you still feel the same way in another three months, then take the break you need.

8. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Another reason perhaps is that I go to a non competitive school, and I want to at least try a competitive one. I am learning good self defense, but I cannot afford to cross train so would need to drop what I am doing to try something new. I said I wasn't quitting in favor of another style, but I would at least like to see what else is out there and maybe go to a tournament. The more I look around though it is hard to find a good school in my area. I been searching a lot online and all I seem to find is expensive schools, McDojo's, or ones that are an hour's drive from me. [​IMG]

9. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I thought this was a topic on "quilting"...sorry I misread...lol

Definitly aproach your instructor and tell him honestly why you would like to quit. He will admire your brovado and most likely offer suggestions as to ways to bring back the thrill you most likely once had.

Good Luck!

TKDshane

10. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

You 're lucky storduff, I should stop training for about 6 months to heal all the minor injurries i have , but i just can't do it...