Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Guerilla Fists, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I'm sure this quetione has been breached before but I have a sitaution that adds a complicated variable into quitting smoking.
    Another one of my cousins got pregnant (surprise surprise) and has been expecting for two months now. I would love to see her quit smoking for both her interest and her baby's interest. But all of you who have quit smoking or are addicted know just like I do it is one of the hardest habits to kick.
    I was wondering what would be some safe ways to ween her off the habit. Would nicotine gum be a good idea? Is it the smoke or the nicotine that jacks up the child? What about chew? Again, what is the factor that affects the child's health. Obviously I don't want the child to come out addicted to nicotine or underweight with respiratory problems. I would love to see her have a healthy normal baby.
    Patch? Smoke away? What do you think wouldl work. Knowing how much and how long she has smoked I don't see her with the will to go cold turkey.
    Your responses are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Eightfold Path

2. Togakure

Togakure New Member

It is the nicotine and carbon monoxide that are the major harmers, after that the other 2500 trace elements/chemicals such as arsnic and other poisons, while not enough to harm an adult directly and right away, can directly harm a growing fetus who's cells are still growing and can be damaged/destroyed/mutated by chemicals in smoking.

I have always been disgusted by people who smoke or drink during pregnancy, if they think smoking is worth more than thier baby's health then they dont deserve a child at all.

Patches and gum still contain harmfull nicotine but will cut out the carbon monoxide, but cold turkey is the best way to go for a pregnant person, hopfully you can convince her to put a babys health before the inconvinence of craving.

I hope the baby comes out alright, and maybe you should print up this fact sheet for your couson:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1171.asp

3. Guerilla Fists

Thanks Togakure. I'm sure she will find it extremely enlightening.

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Togakure, I'm guessing you've never been a smoker? It's a lot more significant then a craving. It's actually linked to the pleasure center, so what your body tells you isn't "I'd like some nicotine" it's "I need nicotine" much in the same way your body requests food if you're starving. Conscious logical thought be dammed, this is piggy-backing on primal survival urges. Having kicked both habits, I would have to say that overall smoking was worse; not in physical symptoms, but overall. Let's face it if you shot up as often as you have a cigarette you would die. So, it builds a much more consistent addiction pattern.

That said, your advice is still correct. The sooner you get the nicotine out the sooner the cravings stop. Gradual step down can prolong the process. It's rough, but it's like removing a band-aid thats stuck to hair, best to do it quick and be done with it. With the whole pregancy hormone thing going on the shock might be too much for her (and everyone around her) so if she can't handle it, using the patch or gum is the next best thing.

Some tips:
    Step 1 Start smoking only outside (also reduces how often you smoke) clean the house thoroughly to remove the smoke smell.

Step 2 Pick a day to quit - Smoke your last cigarette the night before giving you a good 8 hour start. Beware of alcoholic or caffinated beverages and social situations till you feel more comfortable with being a non-smoker.

If the worst should occur (a relapse) don't abort the attempt. Keep trying and you'll succeed. Keep this in mind when you have a craving: You've already made it x (hours, days, weeks) without one, the worst part is at the beginning, do you want to have to go through it again? You've come this far and it's only going to get easier, why go back?

5. Guerilla Fists

yeah, I thought about that too, but I didn't want to get into a debate about how difficult it is too quit smoking. That used to upset me how judgmental people would get when they saw me when I used to smoke. They would say, "why don't you just quit?" and not really understand that it wasn't a hobby, but a chemical dependant habit.
    My point isn't to start a debate so I'll save face for the sake of finding some constructive solutions to this problem my cousin has.
    Great tips bcullen.

6. Togakure

Togakure New Member

I was a smoker for 10 years actully.

And even when I was a smoker I never smoked around none smokers, or people with children, I wouldnt even dream smoking near a pregnant woman, what you do to your body is your own affair, but imposing ill health on another person (your baby, who should be the most important thing in the world) I find very disgusting.

Thats not to say the person is a bad person, but that just how I feel about the matter.

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If you are going to discourage another person from smoking I would stay away from starting out the conversation with how filthy and dirty the habit is and how she's ruining another person's life. It will do nothing but get the person on the defensive and they will not be receptive to what you have to say.

Being persuasive requires a bit of tact and diplomacy. So, just tell her you are concerned about her health and ask her if she's ever considered stopping smoking. I'm sure she has contemplated it many times, just some of us are weaker when it comes to substances than others.