quick knife sparring match

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by blindside, Jul 10, 2015.

1. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I liked this match because it doesn't have the normal "knife fencing" feel to it, it quickly moves from long range sniping to a dedicated attack, to a great two-on-one hand control and move to a finish. And a nice example of why the old weapon systems had all those defenses against wrist grabs. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwzRRhEnys"]ben kai knife - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yeah it's definitely different to 'one touch kill' type knife sparring, and supports the idea that it's hard to enter without taking a few shots yourself. Also interesting to see left vs right, changing the dynamic of your free hand/their knife hand...

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sparring like that gives me chills. i wouldn't want to get in a knife fight with anyone, let alone someone good at it.

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't know anybody who trains who "wants" to be in a knife fight, we have all "died" way too many times to totally randomn arm flailing to think that it is a good idea.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It also somewhat demonstrates a divergence on how to handle a two-on-one grab when armed versus unarmed.
    1) Most pure unarmed systems will go with "make them let go", combined often with a counter grab. The idea is take care of what bothers you most first.

2) Most weapon-based systems and many unarmed self-defense systems will try first to "protect the weapon and use their grab against them". Since you know where their hands are, you can attack them with your free hand or kick them while protecting the weapon.

#2 is simple to teach but much harder to pull off. What I've seen happen is much like in the video. Person A's weapon arm gets grabbed by Person B, and Person A then protects the weapon while attacking Person B with strikes, knees, kicks, elbows, or tries to put them in a chokehold, etc. However, Person B is persistent, doesn't ever let go and then Person A tries to make Person B let go, but is by this time at a disadvantage.

#1 is harder to teach (takes more time) but is going to work more often. The reason, I believe is because by "taking care of what bothers you the most" you are concerned not only with making them let go, but also in gaining a superior position.

I think #2 often neglects the importance of having and keeping a superior position on your opponents.

Combining the two is possible. You can get one "free" shot (#2) to stun or unbalance, and then you need to take care of what bothers you the most (#1). So you are never completely stuck in #1, you can add in #2 striking.