Questions from the MAP Eskrima Seminar

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Andy Murray, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

OK, everyone knows about the fantastic seminar we had on Sunday with Dave Green (Yoda) on Doce Pares.

There must be questions, or people simply wanting to know more about the system?

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

In your Eskrima techniques, how much of the defence do you teach as double blocking? Most of what I've been taught is single stick blocks, but I feel the double ones are safer, then leaving one stick in as a cover and pulling the other away to strike.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

At a range where it is necessary to use secondary blocking I do so - whether that hand has a stick in it, a dagger, or is empty is not a factor in that.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree with what you say Yoda. With my stick fighting I've been taught in two different ways. One person preffered the use of double blocking a lot more than the other. I think I'd have to agree. With sticks being arguably harder to stop and more dangerous than punches, I felt more confident using both sticks in each block. It does have the obvious downside of leaving neither stick covering and slower to return an attack. But until I get upto a standard we're I don't feel its necessary (if ever) I think I'll stick to training that way.

5. YODA

Youi shouldn't need to use both at the same time - just use them as primary & secondary blocks as you do with your stick & empty hand. That way one is always ready to counter.

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Does Doce Pares incorporate 'Wing Arm' blocking?

Someone told me this was more Kali in origin, but I'm still trying to grasp the difference(s).

It's something I was shown many years ago, and I found it popped out a couple of times by accident at the Seminar.

I'd guess it affords some good butt end strikes?

7. YODA

Hi Andy

The wing blocks (stick pointing down) are found in every style of FMA that I've seen - and I've seen lots!

They do facilitate strikes with the butt of the weapon well- but in y experience they are not used for that reason - but more because that is the most economical blocking position at the time.

As for differences Re: Kali - Eskrima. These tend to be regional and/or political rather than content based.

A common myth is that Kali is more blade oriented and older. In reality I have found much more blade specific training in Doce Pares Eskrima than in Inosanto/LaCoste kali - the two FMA that I teach.