Questions for Matt Barnes

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by John Bishop, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

Sorry to change the subject, but I need to ask if any of you recall a strike that I believe was called "Augmented Man." The hand formation is derived by placing the middle finger over the index finger, then by aligning the tips of the fingers, therefore a slight curvature is generated. The strike was used to 'scoop' the eyes in a flicking/whipping motion with the wrist. I had this strike back in the 80s, used with kempo punch techniques, however, today it is seemingly not used or forgotten.

Just wondering if maybe I'm crazy for remembering this strike ... LOL ... be nice.

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I believe I was taught that strike, but we always called it, "Fractured Man." Must be a mistranslation.

3. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

This strike is still used a lot. We call it the Bridge Finger Poke, because i guess my instructors thought it resembled a bridge. It holds more support than just an index finger poke.. We use it a lot in strikes to the throat.
    Jesse

4. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

Way to put me on the spot. What i recall were the 3 gaurds of Kempo.. which is what SGM Pesare would say about those 3 positions. But we can def. bring this "gaurd" back to his training days. If you watch SGM Pesare's circa 60 early Kempo in New England DVD, you will see almost all of his students and himself doing that position after they do all their techniques. In fact you will see them doing that in the backyard scene in Ca. Just another timeline thing for you guys to figure out.
    In Peace,
    Jesse
    Joe -- will i see you on the 24th?

5. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

strikes

Joe,
    I agree, I don't remember that term untill around 74.

14 Kempo,
    I do remember that strike from way back, we simply called it a supported finger poke. Professor Joe might know of a name for it, I don't. Most considered it a very difficult hand strike position to form. Many schools discarded this particular strike.
    :cool:

6. KempoFist

Please tell me this isn't the type of hand positioning we are discussing here
    [​IMG]

7. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

It surely is, the positioning would be better - with the middle finger directly on top of the index fingers nail.
    Jesse

8. KempoFist

Ahh I gotcha...and you practice striking the throat with this?

9. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

at my school, we call it a "fatal finger"

at my school, we call it a "fatal finger"
    Interesting all the terms and names of the different strikes of time , isn't it?

10. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

strikes

The names for some of the various strikes have changed. One of the reasons for this is they have passed through many various Kenpo systems. For example,
    From -
    SGM Pesare - his system
    SGM Cerio - his first and then his own NCK system,
    SGM Villari - in the original SKK then his own FVSKK system.
    And it goes on.
    The early USSD was a loose organization, it was in the very early stages of refinement.
    In an earlier post I listed many of the open hand strikes that were used in the early USSD system, many are not listed in the first USSD instructors booklet.
    This happens in many martial arts systems.
    Looking for time lines for the various names, good luck.

11. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

I agree, and with a slight bend in the index finger. so that the tips of both fingers are together. Again, we used it to scoop the eye in a whipping motion. At least where I was, we didn't use it as a poke. We also had 'Fatal Finger,' that was a different strike as shown in the pictures above.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

The Immortal Man strike I learned didn't have the "Remo Williams" crossing of the middle over the back of the index like in your picture, but rather had them side by side.

13. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Immortal Man strikes do not have the fingers crossed. i was told the strike is named after Da Mo...the "immortal man"

14. KempoFist

Crap now I feel dirty. Just realized that the immortal man strikes were in a few of my forms. Why the hell is it called that anyway?

15. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

The strike I asked about and have been referring too, is not the immortal man strike, but it was called 'Augmented Man' where I trained back in the 80s. That is the strike we have been discussing.

Middle finger on top of the fingernail of the index finger. Bend the index finger slightly until the tips of the middle and index finger are on the same plane. Looks similar to the 'Fatal Finger', but just not quite.

I was given this strike in various kempo punch techniques way back when. It was used in a whipping motion to 'scoop' the eyes, not used as a poke.

Hope this helps to clarify some misunderstandings ...

16. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

Kempofist, i am aware of the landminds that you are trying to set here. Im cool with that and yes i am completely confident on delivering the strike as a poke to the throat. when you first posted the picture i knew you were waiting for some ultimate reply.. Am i saying its the best? no. do i teach, practice for acurracy and believe in it? yes. this strike delivered below the the adams apple into the cubital of the throat will yield almost any opponent. This technique is taught in many arts, including street smart self-defense and some military arts. compressed forwards and down behind the clavicle connection is sometimes refered to as tickling the heart. Now in a bar brawl i would def. rely on destroying the opponent with everything i had - but this is not nec. in all situations. I do not train for the cage.. i never plan to or want to, I respect the pure athleticism of those who do. I have had to unfortunetly defend myself in many situations and have also used some of the softer non "fatal" moves. (do not misread this) A lot of people think, swing hard, swing fast, swing often (which is a great concept and teaching tool for certain situations). do this to much and you just might accidentally kill someone.. no thanks,, not on my conscience. Now, with this said... if i have totally misinterpreted what you were going for.. i humbly apologize. now on a lighter note -- how could Sean Connery be wrong when he uses this exact move in.. oh crap.. I think it was Rising Sun with Wesley Snipes.. C'mon you going to tell me Bond would lead me astray?
    In Peace,
    Jesse

17. KempoFist

Ask Danjo, I'm a walking time bomb. I have no need for landmines :)

I've toyed with people by pressing in the throat with my fingertips, not necessarily under the adams apple, but pretty much any soft area along the neck. Though none of these situations were violent win/lose self defense situations. Worst was a guy who stole some of my money off the table, and I grabbed him and clenched his throat. He gave up pretty quick.

But all of this is pretty irrelevant to the fact that I will more than likely jam my fingers on something trying to strike with my fingertips to a moving angry adversary.

Nah, you read between the lines fine. Now in a bar brawl you'd try subduing someone by striking their throat with your fingertips over applying a solid controlling submission such as maneuvering to a RNC or at worst a quick blow to the face sending them to the floor? Am I reading this right?

Yep, they let you down just like how Jet Li and Van Damme let me down thinking I could pull off what they do in movies too.

18. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

No, you read me wrong. I would not do the finger poke, i'd be to worried about the beer bottle coming from behind to see if the technique was working. When working the bar scene i preferred the quick choke to let them know i had them and then hold it that second longer to put them in panic mode. The best weapon i have found while working was controling the sitution with words. People tend to think that pure violence will win, I was reckless once in a bad situation with multiple attackers and my kick to the groin did not topple my opponent. I skipped past him thinking it was done and needless to say turned my back to soon to fend off the person behind me and was attacked again by the person i thought would have no chance of getting up. I guess this is where the 3 D's scenario comes in. Drunk, Drugs and Dumb, not all techniques work.
    In Peace
    Jesse

19. KempoFist

So when would you use this hand position to strike the throat?

20. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

when it happens i'll let you know.
    Jesse