Questions about TKD.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by guobin2, Oct 13, 2007.

1. guobin2

guobin2 Valued Member

Hey all :)

Just had a few questions to ask. My school was having its Open House the other day, and so I was manning the taekwondo booth. As part of our activities we do take on any challenges that prospective future students might propose, in the form of sparring matches.
    There was a high school guy I fought, who did something like a 360, turning, and then a backhook followed by a backfist to the face. Just wondering, are backfists allowed in ITF taekwondo? (We're WTF taekwondo, and juniors, so no kicks to the head are allowed. That didn't stop him from smashing a flying sidekick into mine though -__-)

Also, (completely unrelated, by meh :) ), has anyone here mastered a 540 backhook? I'm still trying to pull the backhook out after landing the kicking leg, but it doesn't seem to rise high enough.

Thanks all :)

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

yes ITF uses backfist

3. TKDTraditional

TKDTraditional Valued Member

Why would you want to?? :cool:

4. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Accepting challenges from anyone without knowing there background!! That was a good idea wasn't it!? I'm not surprised you got smashed in the face, your lucky, you could have had a pro kickboxer come and knock you out!!!

Plus, Juniors!?!?!? Your profile says your 38, now I'm not trying to say your old but your defiantly not a junior!

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

guobin2 profile says 28 ... well to me he is a junior ;)

That's quite an interesting activity.

I was at an Open House for my former instructor who was opening up his new school down South and I too was manning the booth ... and although there were quite a few prospective or inquiring students that stopped by that I would have loved to pummel (I mean spar ;) ) ... we did not.

Fortunately for our school we are neither Kukkiwon style or members of the ITF so we are allowed to use any technique when we get together to spar outside official tournaments.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  6. guobin2

guobin2 Valued Member

Actually, I'm 18. Heh.

Our open house was for Secondary 4 students, they'd be about 16 years old then. Not much to worry about in the way of an actual, damaging fight :) And we only accepted challenges from TKD people. It wasn't an all out brawl.

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

18 man i had to step up to the adults categories when i was 16

8. mangoman

mangoman Valued Member

WTF considers you an adult at 14 as of 12-31-current year. So if you are 13 and fighting in a WTF sanctioned event on January 2, 2007 and your 14th birthday is December 29, 2007 you must fight as a 14 year old in that Jan 2nd event and play by Senior rules, IE full contact.

9. guobin2

guobin2 Valued Member

Is that the case overseas? It is still a requirement for under-seventeens to spar under junior rules here in Singapore.