Questions about Nunchaku products

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Bellator Manus, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

I have been looking around the web at nunchaku's to buy. I have a few questions about them before I get them though.

1. What's the difference between Speedchucks and regular Nunchakus?

2. Has anyone ever used a LED Nunchaku (then ones that light up but are not glowsticks) and what did you think about them?

3. Has anyone ever used the Telescopic nunchakus and how were they?

pics:
    4th and 7th down

2. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I have speedchucks, they have ball bearings on the end of the chain and spin nicely.

I personally prefer them to the ones with cord.

Haven't any expereince with the other ones.

3. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I've got a cool wooden pair attached by chord. They've got Dragons carved into them and are enlayed with some kind of pearl or sumthing. Anyway, I would not recommend them to you if your a beginner. they hurt alot when u whack yourself with them, and they can be hard to swing and use if your not strong in the shoulders and wrists.

4. Bellator Manus

Naw, I've been practicing with foam ones for awhile. I want to get the feel of a real one. And to show off the lighted one. That would look awesome if it's well lit durable.

5. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Still i'd be wary if i were you. To some people the difference between foam chucks and wood chucks is nothing, but to others it is like night and day. I preffer learning the hardway and usually end up paying the price, so i learned wooden first. Finally got the hang of it after wack after wack after wack after wack after wack. Though, i made an even dumber mistake after that. Got a full size metal three section staff. Chipped a bone in my shin , and almost gave myself many concussions. Still do injure myself on that thing, come to think of it :D

6. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I have both telescopic and flashing nunchaku.

Flashing are fun in the dark, but they are made of plastic, so would crack it used against a weapon.

Telescopic are dreadfully unbalanced - I would rather use a belt as self-defence.

7. Bellator Manus

That's why I want to get good with a real set. So I can good with a real set.

How can be unbalanced? It's the same thing on both sides? I confused. :confused:

8. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Each 'section' is heavier at one end than at the other. Hopefully that makes things clearer.

9. nancriss

nancriss New Member

Please contact us for our advertising rates if you wish to pay to advertise your product.
    ... Yoda

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

My opinion....stick to regular octagon wood nunchuks :cool:

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I've got the telescopic nunchaku too, and as tob says, each section is heavier at one end than at the other, but for me it feels ok for me. the only thing i have to watch for is the sections coming loose and them folding down while im doing a technique. handy to keep in my holdall for unexpected weapons sessions (my main art is karate). make a nice "swoosh"ing sound too :)

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

WARNING!

We were playing with the nunchaku last nite in training and some were using them for the first time, when one of the guys with a wooden/cord pair had them fly apart in his hands. The knot came undone and the wooden ends went flying....

Lucky no-one was hurt!

I definitely prefer my heavy speedchucks because the lighter corded variety has a cunning plan to sneak up behind and hit the back of your head as a few of the others found out last nite!

They [light wood & cord ones] are like one of those perpetual motion machines and is very difficult to make them go dead like you can with speedchucks.

I find the speed chucks easier to use than foam ones too.

13. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

I dislike the flashing acrylic nunchaku, as the flashing bit breaks quickly, plus if you drop them on a hard surface they will just snap.
    I dont like telescopic nunchaku either, in my opinion youd be best to break the chain and have two telescopic battons ;)

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My preference is wooden chucks w/ chains, get a better feel of things.
    I used foam before but it was so light that it throws off ur timing when you get back to real ones.
    Flashing chucks, looks nice...wouldnt use them, dont like the idea of possible shattering and shards flying everywhere.
    My groin hates all nunchukus all the same. :cry:

15. Bellator Manus

So you wouldn't smach the flashy ones on anything, but what about spinning them around and showing off?

16. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

Your choice, but it's a bit expensive for just "showing off". Plus, I think they look sort of tacky. I would be much more impressed if you just used traditional ones and really got your techniques down.