Questions about Mormon beliefs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Demonstrably false, just go along to, for example, the Cambridge University Christian Union society to see a large number of highly intelligent thinking individuals who are theists. There are similar societies for other religions, but I believe the CU one was the biggest when I was there.

You can argue a lot of things about theism and theists, but claiming that they're all lacking in ability to think is just foolish in itself.

2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

yeah come on, dude. I think for myself and im not an atheist - i'm agnostic.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Then by your logic you must be a religious man because you clearly can not have put much thought into that statement. :p

4. slipthejab

Actually there was at one point there were a number of regular posters at MAP who are Mormon and were kind enough to answer questions regarding their faith. I'm sure you noted this is posted in the religion sub-forum at MAP so it's a perfectly valid question. :rolleyes:

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Guys, troll. Not even a fun one.

*EDIT* Referring to brutal, of course.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I should add something to that, being that I'm (a) openly participating in an unpopular religion; (b) the recipient of serious religious flaming in the past; (c) and a TM.

Although it is obviously true that MAP has a very vocal set of anti-religious people who at times border on rudeness and flaming, it is not true that they get free reign. They seem to win thread arguments because they do an extremely good job of setting the rules of the thread discussion. That they're sometimes rude about it is disheartening, but when they cross the line their posts get editted the same as anybody else's posts, and when a thread gets too hot it gets closed the same as any other thread. Capt Ann (who has moved on to other interests) and myself are proof that a theist can succeed in the Religion forum. That it doesn't happen very often is sad, but I will deny that the Religion forum is biased against theists by design and intent of the moderators. That's simply not true. This forum is just as open as any other forum on MAP, and the moderating staff does not allow personal attacks against members of MAP.

FWIW, I get better discussions of religion here than on a particular dedicated Christian forum that I tried for a time, and that's in spite of the strong atheist bias here.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. Brutal

Brutal Banned Banned

Faith means not wanting to know what is true.

8. masterPain

masterPain Valued Member

Don't worry, we all have faith in your super speed backpack wielding knife defense.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have faith in his ability to talk a good fight with all the aplomb of an 8 year old hooped up on tartrazine

Master Betty he ain't

10. slipthejab

How about you keep it on topic or you don't post. Simple no? ;)

11. aikiMac

As a blanket statement that is utterly false, and if sincerely made it betrays a disgusting level of both willful ignorance and insulting intolerance. :bang: In an age of self-proclaimed intelligence people can and have learned better than that.

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I still remember some of our heated discussions in the Religion sub-forum waaaay back in the murky depths of MAP's history!

Good times!

13. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

http://www.wordans.co.uk/wordansfiles/images/2012/2/8/124015/124015_340.jpg?1328679561

;) lol.

From my point of view, arguments will always arise over religion. Arguments always arise over opinion, and religion is opinion to a certain extent. (Note: I am not saying any religion is better or worse or true or false in comparison to any other).
    As long as we try to keep civil discussion, expressing opinion is ok. The mods just stop it getting too out of hand - but they can have an opinion too.

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

As a moderately outspoken atheist and a sceptic myself I find Brutal's posts hilariously self-refuting. He's trying to make the assertion that atheists are clever and therefore imply that theists are stupid by predicating a generalisation on an implied correlation that is not backed by any evidence. This is in direct contradiction to the stupidity of his own posts.

Hopefully, also, the grilling he's now getting by other atheists and agnostics on this thread should provide some evidence that the majority mindset on MAP is, if anything, anti-nonsense.

And, to back up some of the other mods. Yes, we make mistakes. Yes, sometimes things aren't dealt with perfectly fairly. This is because we are fallible and have other things to do as well as moderate MAP. We try to control for this problem (which will exist in any forum, by the way) by being open and approachable. Members are welcome to PM us if they have a problem and they will be taken seriously. I won't discuss details in the open here, for obvious reasons, but I can think of examples in the past where members have complained about specific mod actions/attitudes they thought unfair, where the majority of mods agreed with the complaint over the mod in question and took appropriate action.

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I can't answer the whole thing. but my ex is a mormon. Here's what she had to say when I asked her something similar.

16. aikiMac

Ya, sometimes I miss Tekkengod. Just sometimes. ;)

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There's a blast from the past! Whatever happened to him?

Mitch

18. aikiMac

He talked about joining the Coast Guard, and rumor was that he actually did enlist. Good for him if he did.

Underneath his ferocious and rude exterior, I really liked the kid. I think he had a good heart but a troubled life. I hope he's doing well.

19. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

I want to say that I thought he had mentioned something about going into the military. It’s been quite a while ago though, and I could very well be mistaken. I did go to his profile, but he’s got a lot of posts, and wading through them would be a bit exhausting. (It appears that he showed up with a post in the survey section last year though.)

*Edit: aiki got it in while I was typing. . . .

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

These young 'uns don't know how good they've got it these days.