Questions About Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok so I have a few questions about Kickboxing.

1. I take Hapkido, when I become a black belt, I plan to study another martial art, so I was wondering, if I study Kickboxing will it be a hard transition between the 2 arts?

2. How close is Taekwondo and Karate to Kickboxing?

3. Is it practical for self defence?

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Also are Kickboxing and Full Contact Karate the same thing, if not what are the differences?

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well it depends on what kickboxing organisation you go into. over here, kickboxing means muay thai without elbows, but in america it can mean a whole raft of things from *shudder* semi contact slapfests to american rules kickboxing (think benny the jet) to "international rules" (leg kicks allowed and sometimes knees) to full out muay thai. so to answer your questions-

1. hapkido mostly focuses on grappling and joint locks right? in which case, it shouldnt be too hard. I had no problem training in judo and muay thai at the same time (well except one time where I punched my judo instructor in the face :D) and found they complimented each other quite well.

2. American kickboxing was based on tkd and karate, so they are quite similar but also influenced by boxing in terms of the rules regarding hands and the training methods. Muay Thai and international rules kickboxing is influenced by muay thai more and really is not very similar to tkd or karate.

3. It has worked for me, and other people I know who do kickboxing and have been attacked.

4. American kickboxing is basically full contact karate- full contact kicks and punches to the body and face, no leg kicks, knees, or elbows.

4. Just to add a bit to that... sweeps are allowed :) Full contact/ FC karate => American rules as Ikken said above. Kickboxing => leg kicks allowed

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

If I do a form of Kickboxing, I don't know if I should take Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

6. It's up to you. First, see if you have both in your area. If you do, check them both out. If not, you don't have much choice in the matter, do you? ;)

Ultimately, what do you want to get out of kickboxing?

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well, I have ti think for this.

Here are the things I want to get out of Kickboxing, they are not in any particular order.

1. Fitness

2. I Want Good Self Defence (I Get That With Hapkido Too, I Love Hapkido)

3. Compettions (I Do Hapkido For Self Defence, I Want Kickboxing For Compettions)

4. I Want To Learn A Variety Of Powerful Kicks

5. I Want To Fight Better With My Legs, Feet, and Bottom Half.

6. Kickboxing, From What I've Seen, Is Just Plain Cool.

Hey Norm, can you tell me about Kickboxing and whatnot.

Also if an Muay Thai Boxers see this, tell me about Muay Thai.

8. Basically, you probably want kickboxing, although Thai would do :) The two are VERY similar, so you're not going to be short changed doing either. ONE noteable difference is that kickboxing favours the hands whilst thai boxing favours the knees, leg kicks and powerful roundhouses. Choice is yours mate - get checking local gyms out!

If you can tell me what you want to know, generally. As you can understand, it's a pretty wide subject and if you ask me questions iI'm more than willing to have a shot at answering them.

Have fun :D

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you Norm. :)

I would like to learn how to use my legs better in combat. So would Muay Thai or Kickboxing be better?

Also which do you prefer?

Also anything you can tell me about Kickboxing would be awesome.

Tell me what your beginning training is, then middle, then black belt training.

Also all the stuff you learn, and just.... everything! :cool: :)

I hope I'm not being too much of a pest. :eek:

10. No problemo, Korpy :)

From what I've seen, MT focusses on blistering kicks to the legs, and some body kicks (occasional head kick). KB focusses on body and head kicks, but mainly punches (American) or leg kicks and punches (Standard/International rules)

In answer to your question, depending on the coach/kru and environment, POSSIBLY MT.

Not even gonna answer - I would be bias. Actually, tell a lie, I am. Kickboxing.

Ill answer the rest of your points later - gotta be out soon :)

To summarise: Kickboxing: Leg kicks and average amounts of punches
    MT: Leg kicks and body kicks - lots of conditioning
    AMERICAN/FC - boxing with kicks

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Awesome, thank you very much Norm.

Can't wait for more info from you.

Also if you've fought in compettions tells me about them, win or loss, and what moves you used. :cool:

Thanks again Norm! :)

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

if you want to use your legs, especially in terms of self defense, go for muay thai. leg kicks and knees for the win.

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I like both.

I think I don't know which one I like better.

I mean Kickboxing is good for using legs for combat right? I mean that's why it's called Kickboxing, right?

But I don't know.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its good. muay thai is better. (depending on the coach of course but as a system it is more complete)

15. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

I'd have to say Muay Thai is the better, and because of the larger range of allowed techniques I'd argue it's more applicable to self defense. Overall, however, either choice is a good bet. If both are conveniently available to you, try them both for a little while and pick which one you like more. I'd rather train in WTF Taekwon-do than Muay Thai if the training and instruction at the Muay Thai place was unfriendly and not fun and the Taekwon-do was. If something is not fun, there's no point in doing it because you'll either hate it and slog on, or hate it and stop doing it which defeats the purpose.

Another suggestion:

Kyokushin Kai karate, it is the progenitor of Japanese kickboxing and is very intense and useful. Its offshoot, Japanese kickboxing, I think goes by the title of Seido Kai and is the base martial art of many excellent Japanese fighters both in traditional kickboxing and K-1.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I would like to hear your input on Muay Thai as well as Norm's input on Kickboxing.

What makes Muay Thai better then Kickboxing? :confused:

Thank you as well. :)

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

basically theres a whole lot more to it. think kickboxing, and add in knee strikes, elbows, leg kicks, and stand up grappling with throws.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm not sure if I'd be good with the knee and elbow strikes.

I just don't know I like both.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well you wont be throwing elbows on your first day if thats what you mean. they are more for advanced students otherwise people get hurt.

and whats NOT to like about knees? :D

20. Korpy - you asked about competition accounts.

The main thing to remember is "FORGET THE FLASHY RUBBISH YOU'VE LEARNT!!!" Jumpy, spinny kicks have no real place in tournament/competative fighting. Stick with basica kicks - roundhouse, front kick/teep, maybe sidekick. Occasional spinning back kicks can work. Forget tornado kicks, flying 540s and spinning crescents.

Stick with bread and butter combos - jab cross hook, lead roundhouse jab cross rear roundhouse ETC. Don't overcomplicate things. You will find out what works for you when you spar. Ask Ikken or one of the others about Thai boxing strategies, and if you want more about kickboxing fighting/sparring techniques, open another thread.

The thing which makes Muay Thai better than kickboxing is its complete fighting system. Clingh, elbow, knee, kick, punch are all included. Kickboxing is simple - kicking and boxing. This simplicity is what attracts me!

I like boxing, but enjoy having kicks thrown at me. I am quite short, with long arms and short legs. This means I have to work hard to land kicks, so prefer to punch.

:)