Questions about a Vegas School

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by mdgee, Sep 10, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Has anyone heard of GM Tapia? He runs a school in Las Vegas. Don't think I will be going there because I'm seriously looking at ITF TKD and he teaches WTF TKD and Hapkido. There's just something about his website and an email exchange that leaves me feeling that he may be running a McDojo. Thoughts?

http://www.vegastaekwondo.com/index.html

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Looks like a well run and organised school if the website is anything to go by.

What makes you (and qualifies you) to believe it's a mcdojo?

3. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Unwillingness to discuss pricing on the phone or by email. The GM informed me that I would have to "come in to get special pricing".

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

He told me that he does not teach Hapkido, this was about 2 months ago.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That isn't all that unusual. It's actually quite common.

People hear a price and don't even check out a school to see what it is about. School's want people to see the school first.

If you look at many MA school websites, you will see many do not list their prices online.

You are going to eliminate a whole bunch of possibly good school's if you use that as a criteria. Go check the school out.

If they are still evasive about the pricing after checking it out, then I would worry.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

if a school owner said this to me, i would immediately remove his gym from consideration.

also 6th dan in hapkido and 7th dan in tkd? how can anyone have such high ranking in two arts?

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Giovanni, told you there was something about him that doesn't sit right with me.

8. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I have a problem with people not wanting to talk about how much training with them will cost. Sure I understand that they want you to come and see the place and meet them in person. However, if the financial part is too much I believe people ought to know so that they do not have to waste their time and also the instructor's time. I know I do not like it when someone shows up thinking it will be less than what it actually is to train and then wastes my time. Just my thought on the matter!

9. Giovanni

i don't know if he's running a 'mcdojo'. but for me aside from the art which is my highest consideration, i'd have to rank price, distance (between work and home), the gym itself (including the proprietor and facility), and schedule as the next series of considerations. if someone does not give me the information i'm looking for either on their website or by phone, then it's going to be hard for me to continue considering that gym.

here's an aikido place i studied at, pretty clear what the price is and the financial commitment involved.

http://www.midwestaikidocenter.org/classes-membership/adult-membership

here's the bjj gym i study at; again, pretty clear on the pricing.

http://valkobjj.com/?page_id=11

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Giovanni, thanks for your post and the links. Yes, both are very clear about the pricing structure and appear legitimate to me. Why do so many schools feel that they need to hide their prices? I'm not going to a gym to negotiate a price. Just tell me what the price is for a single person, for a couple and for a family. That's all I ask. If it's the same for everyone then tell me that. Just don't hide the price from me or tell me it's secret or special pricing.

And his title of GM is another that confuses me. I've known people who have taught for 45 years that haven't earned that title. How does he get to call himself GM? All very suspicious to me. Especially since he could say he is GM and we are forced to take him at his word, right?

11. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Not really, The Kukkiwon is the recognized International grading authority for WTF oriented Taekwondo, with strict time-in grade requirements and it's their title conventions that he appears to be using, not his own.

But, just know that in Korean arts 4th Dan or Higher are called "Masters" (as in "School Master," not like the Master Po guy from Kung Fu), and 7th Dan or higher are called "Grandmasters."

The term "Master" in Korean martial arts typically confuses people with backgrounds in other arts. It comes from "Kwan Jang Nim", which means "School Owner." Basically, in Korean Organizations you have to be a 4th Dan to send in your own paperwork to promote your students to black belt yourself, so it is essentially only like 3rd Dan "sensei" in Japanese arts, or something like "Full Instructor" in JKD. That's why practically every single person who owns a Taekwondo school is a "Master."

All criticisms about Taekwondo and this translation and naming convention aside, the title comes from the established governing body of Taekwondo in Korea, he didn't make it up. If he has indeed has legitimate rank form the Kukkiwon, then his rank should be verifiable on the Kukkiwon website.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  12. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I just found a Combat Hapkido school. Are these any good or worth investigating?

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

One minute you're recommending schools, the next you ask if something is worth checking out.

Why don't you check it out. Only you will know if something suits you.

14. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Simon, I recommended a Wing Chun school because i know the reputation of the teacher. However, I don't live in California or I would study with him. That is the only school you have heard or seen me actually recommend because I don't know enough about them. I asked about this particular school because I know that the wording Combat Hapkido, has come into question. Does that help you to understand why I asked? I'm trying to figure out if the label, Combat Hapkido, is even legit?

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

This is pretty common. I don't discus pricing till someone is in the facility had a good look around etc.

Some people are expensive because they're worth it, some customers put price above quality.

16. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The best thing is to check out the school for yourself. That is the only way you will know if the label is "legit". If you want to know about the history of combat hapkido there are some threads here on MAP discussing it.

17. Giovanni

is it pretty common in the gym (or dojo or dojang or whatever) business? do you have variable pricing? or is the price always the same?

you mention that you want people to have a look around. if you wait until after the tour to give them the price, aren't you potentially just wasting your time, better served with a client, or giving a customer who is more serious a tour?

i'm just wondering. seems like a potential waste of your time, as a business person.

here's a gym in my neighborhood. again, very clear the terms of the contract...

http://chicagoathleticclubs.com/mem...n=wicker-park&signup_step=2&moso_promotionid=

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  18. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Dave, I am reading some of the discussions. I just can't figure out the consensus.

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

For me time in customer contact is never wasted, even if they don't buy everyone like to be the guy that can 'recommend someone'

If I stand in front of someone and say '£30 an hour' they're mind is instantly closed. In half an hour I can normally show off how great my facilities are, drop in a few knowledge bombs and maybe even a page or two from my portfolio by which point they're wanting to be involved before they hear the price.

Something is only expensive if an individual doesn't see the value in it.

As far as facility memberships it all depends, places like pure gym and 24 hour fit etc are franchises with such but ness practices that they can under cut everyone, that makes their prices a main selling point, great for the cattle. A half decent S+C gym or strongman/crossfit/hardcore BB style place is normally just owned by one or two people, who're renting the space and don't have a huge capita. They have to prove why their facility is worth the extra 20-40 quid a month, they usually are.

20. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

You won't really find one. Like so many other arts feeling got hurt in the creation of it. Add to that the instructors(and pseudo instructors) teaching it that suck( every art has teachers that suck) and presto, you have instant critics spreading rumors.
    It is good to ask around and do some research but the best research is to attend a free class. If you like the general feel of the class and the instructors teach in a way the is practical, then who cares about the history of the art as a whole?