Questioning your Instructors?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Scarlet Mist, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Tiger_ARVN

Tiger_ARVN Valued Member

lol true. Though most Sifu's I know of simply just ban the student if he/she gets out of hand and starts acting disrespectful.

strike 1) usually just a warning

strike 2) a few monthes suspension

strike 3) life time ban!

Remember, question what is being taught to further help your training and progress.

But forget about questioning your teacher's abilities and experience, it only makes the relationship with you and your teacher/classmates stressful.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Just a PS - I mean this sort of figuratively. I think the instructor should do whatever is applicable to demonstrate his skill - submit you, bloody you, pound you with the gloves, whatever.

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

My instructor taps me out effortlessly. He taps out people who tap me out with ease effortlessly as well. He competes in ADCC and taps everyone there out. He competes against Tankanori Gomi and submits him as well. He goes on the UFC and defeats the #1 WW in the world. That's enough proof for me.

Personally I think if you finding yourself questioning the ability of your instructor, then he or she isn't involved enough in class, and has not done their job of earning your respect.

4. Yohan

I could not agree more. If the skill of your teachers hands aren't made evident through practicing with him or her, you should consider whether you want to be there or not.

5. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

I think this is a subtle, but important distinction. When we say that we're "asking a question about something," it implies that we are looking for guidance. When we say that we're "questioning something," it has a more challenging connotation to it, and is inherently less respectful. I've asked my teacher plenty of questions, but I wouldn't say I've ever questioned my teacher. :)

It also depends on the student. I accept/expect a bit more "questioning" from beginners, who are perhaps still trying to determine if a teacher is someone they should learn from, and more importantly, still haven't gotten used to the nature of the expected teacher/student relationship in a given school.

6. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

If anyone questions the skill of my instructor, my instructor would just tell him all of his accomplishments, tons of NAGA, GQ wins and more recently a Pan ams Silver, kickboxing matches hes had, time spent learning and so on. If after that he still didnt understand (cause he has no clue what Pan Ams is) or because he just wants to see, hed be happy to roll for a bit. Not kill or maim or beat real good, just give him an intro class and roll with him a bit. Show him what BJJ is all about.

You should question your instructors ability from day one. Dont you wanna know if your getting what you pay for? Thats not rude, its smart.

7. Tiger_ARVN

Tiger_ARVN Valued Member

Well yeah. From day one when you first start (maybe even a FEW times after). But
    if it is constant mistrust towards your instructor, why not just leave if your convictions are that deep against his abilities?

If you can't trust his word and need to go out your way to prove your teacher is a fraud, why waste all your energy? Go to a teacher you think is better and learn from him/her instead.

8. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I am not that bothered if a student questions my abilities and experiences; I just "bloody them up a little" as Yohan would say, if they want proof of my skills. However, in cases of a chronic problem, then person is just trying to cause trouble and not learn, and so at that point I would just terminate the relationship.

9. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I agree. However, there are a few cases where instructors take it easy on the new students, etc. Most people get that the instructor is "toying with them," aka allowing them to learn while sparring. However, sometimes people don't get it and need a friendly reminder.

10. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I remember back when I did MMA for a while one of friends wasn't being co-operative with the instructor (who is, easily, the hardest person I've ever met, but also a decent guy). We were doing a kicking drill and he was correcting our form. I thought about what he said and tried to take it on board. My mate turned around and said 'but this is the way I want to kick'.

Instructor didn't reply. Instead, during sparring, he gave him a not-so-friendly reminder who was in charge :D

11. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

I ask my Instructor questions all the time, although I try to phrase it as respectfully as I can (most of the time.) He still gets ****ed sometimes though. It's all part of the learning process.

12. Yohan

Absolutely. There are two sides to the coin. I think the instructors responsibilities in the relationship have been well defined in the thread, but it is up to the student to show respect, ask the right questions, illicit the right responses. Learning martial arts is symbiotic, and in the end, it's largely up to the practitioner to make what he learns effective.

This is a great post. Instructors are people too, and they get ****ed, they get frustrated, and they get upset. Often times, I would imagine TEACHING martial arts is very similar to LEARNING martial arts, and I get discouraged, frustrated, etc about learning it, and I'm sure it would happen if I was teaching it too.

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Our sensei has us teach too - it is part of the learning process.

14. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

My teacher's greatest teaching experience with me as his student was when I taught HIM something (so he said).

15. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Brilliantly said. Transitioning from being a student to an instructor (not that I am not a student--I still learn everything I can, everywhere I go) was one of the hardest things I have done in my martial arts career. Sometimes, my students make it a joy, sometimes... not so much. As you mentioned, I think this thread has done very well describing the instructor's role. Students would do well to remember what you mentioned, and their instructors will appreciate them for it.

16. AfroMac_Samurai

AfroMac_Samurai New Member

Hi I am noob on this forum and wow what a lot of info to take in. This topic drew me in right away. I am a student of martial arts and love the instructors I have the honor to work with. This topic really hits home because I have recently witnessed a fellow student struggle/defy an instructor during a kata. The instructor felt very disrespected. I could believe my eyes. But I have a greater respect for this instructor now because he dealt with the situation like this. He didn't smite this student for his defying, but he restrained him in his efforts and whispered something to him. I have no idea what it was but then they stood and my instructor said something and the student laughed. (it must have been a good joke)

This really amazed me I thought that this instructor was going to beat him up, but I saw him use amazing people skills instead. I hope to someday be a honorable man like him.

PS. What a fantastic topic:)

17. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

If you have not found a new club instructor already, then I also suggest that you do. Many years ago I attended the a class at Uni. It was the first class of the new year, and it was held by 3 people (it was difficult to determine who was the instructor) and they spent the whole hour or so yelling instructions and shouting at people. I was chatting with a couple of people after, and mentioned that I would not be returning as I felt the instructors were too aggressive and did not know how to run a class properly, but the others just said that "surely that is how a martial art should be taught?". It is a real shame that this sort of attitude is often accepted in martial arts.

An instructor / any martial artist should always respect their students and question what they do and what they teach. The best martial arts are the ones that evolve, take on new ideas, and adopt different philosophies. Some people say that the only purpose of sparring with different styles to to determine the weaknesses of your own style. Questioning is essential for your growth, and the growth of the art.

For anyone else in this position, go and find a new instructor. Whenever I have started a new class, I always ask loads of questions (although now been at the same school for many years). A good instructor will be willing to listen to your questions and discuss. However, sometimes a discussion should wait until after the class, so maybe next time ask your quesitons at the ned of the class, or at the beginning of the next, rather than mid way through. Some people do like their routine!

18. AfroMac_Samurai

AfroMac_Samurai New Member

jonwade this opinion that you have offered is a respectable. I agree that questioning is essential for growth and develop and am sure you believe this to be true for not only martial arts but many aspects of life. I have learned very little in my young life, but the things that I have learned are important and valuable to me. Pertaining to this thread I have learned that I find it easy to work with a lucid and placid instructor. I love this topic and can't wait to see it's development.

19. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

Favorite post I've seen in a good week.
    Teaching is part of my art that I consider not just beneficial but essential, without the knowledge of how to properly teach a technique set how can you possibly understand the principles and correct applications of them?

Asking suitable questions only serves to further your own, and in many cases the instructor's knowledge and I consider it an integral part of the learning process.
    The Socratic method of teaching (guiding the students to ask appropriate questions) is one of the most effective ways to engage the students and allow them to build an understanding from their own knowledge base. Unfortunately it's difficult to use in a MA environment but I do try.