Questioning your Instructors?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Scarlet Mist, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I got yelled at for "talking back" to my instructors. I was trying to find out why were drilling so many techniquest that seemed useless, instead of trying to use them in sparring. I was just trying to understand where they were coming form, doing these drills, and then sparring in a completely different manner. So I asked.
    Of course, when made to do something that I think is completely useless, I find it hard to put energy into it. So my stuff was sloppy and half assed. I can only assume I was in the wrong.
    Anyway, I was told to NEVER question the instructors becasue they have more experience than I do, and if I question them, then I am effectively saying I know more than they do and don't need to be taught. That sounded silly to me. I challenge everything, like EA Games.
    I was also told I was arrogant. Very arrogant. First time for me.
    I found the whole thing pretty confusing. So, partly on account of misbehaviour, my promotion has been postponed indefinitely.
    I find this whole thing quite strange. On one hand, there is only a certain amount of crap I can take before I quit. If I'm taught to do something compeletely impractical in self defense, I can replicate the moves, but I don't show any interest, because I know that stuff won't work. Or rather, that I can't make it work. On the other hand I enjoy practicing my martial arts at that school, in spite of all this.
    So my questions are: Does a student have a right to question his instructors?
    Should I quit this school once and for all?
    Should I apologize, saying "I'm sorry I was an arrogant scumbag, I'll try my best blindly believe that what you are teaching actually works and practice it to the best of my ability".

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Quit immediatly!

They are completely out of line. I didn't check your age, but you must be fairly young--you should question everything... teachers are there to try to answer those very questions you had, as long as they were asked politely. In the MA context, if their practices do not make sense to you, and they refuse to tell you why you are doing such-and-such a drill, AND hold off on promoting you, man, I would personally tell them to go **** themselves. (Then, when you're a blackbelt or high rank in a good school, I would mail them a copy of my certificate with a note reiterating the same).

3. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

actually scarlet, i'd do none of those.

i think every student has a right to question - how else to best learn? whenever i don't understand something, whether it's an application, an explanation, or what have you, i ask. i've even been known to break down in frustration and get angry because i just didn't understand... not something i'd recommend doing, tho.

you should be able to question all you need.. but there IS a level of respect that needs to be taken into account. so it's all about HOW you question.

i would say you need to sit down with your instructor and explain the problem... not that you were trying to be arrogant or rude, but that you genuinely want a better understanding. apologize if the way you approached it before offended, and find out how you can better handle the situation next time. be humble, show them that the assumptions they made about you were wrong. but never stop questioning.

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Shouting at a student for asking questions is usually a sign of insecurity on the part of the instructor. They tell you off and chastise your 'arrogance' because they haven't got any better answer to it.

Of course, sometimes students ask too many questions in one go, in which case the instructor simply needs to say 'can we come back to that at an appropriate time' and guide you to continue your practice. Only if you keep pushing it at that point would it seem appropriate to chastise you.

Ultimately, the only reason instructors don't answer questions is because they can't.

Mike

5. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Gong Sau. Solves everything. End of thread.

6. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

You're joking, right?

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Gong sau didn't solve the problem I had with you KF :D

i've never seen sensei/instructors EVER evade a question. They'll always answer or if they're not sure, check with someone with more experience etc.

If the student genuinely wants to know something there's no problem. I've seen new guys with bad attitudes ask questions and learn and improve their behaviour by seeing the seniors always responding with courtesy and through their actions on the mat.

8. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

From the other thread... this is a BJJ club??? Seems unbelievable, wow.

9. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Cause you never showed up :rolleyes:

10. My instructors loves us asking questions or calling him on anything.

He said the day I ask him an MA question that he can't answer, he'll find out, or hang up his belt.

It's been decades since that kind of "master knows best" close mindedness has been acceptable.

But where did you ask these questions? Infront of the whole class during lesson time? Because that probably isnt on. Ask privately.

11. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

Quit right away.

At a good school, questions get answered and what you practice you also spar with.

Lots of schools will teach you techniques and talk about being super deadly, then they spar according to point rules or light contact. Ask them why you train one way but fight another and they get very ****y because they dont know why and dont care. They are blind leading the blind.

Asking questions in class time is ok, as long as you dont ask a million at a time. If a technique is being taught to 20 people and as you are practicing it, you ask the teacher how this is going to work or why you think it doesnt, well if he gets mad, leave. That just means they dont know and are insecure about it.

At my school we ask all the time. We even have guys going "yea but what about the this or that" as hes demonstrating. He then answers. Thats called learning. Getting yelled at and told to just do it is called being brainwashed / idiocy, you pick.

12. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

Another thing, schools that train one way and then spar another usually suck. From personal experience and others.

13. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

I would quit, no question about it. If they do not like you asking questions or asking why we are learning something, it seems to me they have something to hide. Most teachers would want you to ask questions

14. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I agree with the 'you should be able to question, but it depends on how you question' school. Also, you've admitted that you do things you don't like half-assed. That's not a good thing as it sets a bad example for the rest of the class.

If you truly find it hard to do things because they don't sit well with you, don't make sense, and don't meet your personal MA goals ... then move on.

15. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

wth what martial art do u do

16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I feel that if my students aren't asking me questions on the technique/practise then they have not fully developed the mindset for practise that they should have,
    You can understand a technique or drill practise, but I am always thinking of different ways to apply what I have learnt or altering the drills so that they are learnt more effectively.

It seems to me that the OP has not only questioned the technique/drill, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but the manner of the question seems to be directed at the instructors format of the class, and imo is dissrespecting the instructor's ability to construct a class format.
    If I had an issue with the format that I wanted to bring up, I would bring it up after the class with the instructor.
    If you are training and paying money to be instructed on how to do something, then it would seem that you are wasting your time there if you are questioning the validity of the training you have paid for, i.e. you are/or think you are too good for the class.

17. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I always ask questions. If a technique confused me or I didn't understand something I would ask, no matter how trivial it may seem. You just have to be polite and ask with respect.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How you asked the question is a good point. But I still think the bottom line is that you got spiked for asking questions. And that's not a good sign. Told you were arrogant?! Suspended from promotion indefinitely?!!

I don't want any student of mine to accept what I have to say blindly. In fact, occassionally, I'll assert something I think is ludicrous just to see if someone calls me on it. If they don't, I say "don't let me get away with that; it's utter nonsense." So they know that, not only is it okay to ask questions, but it's a moral imperative in my mind.

I would be less bothered if they'd answered with something even if you, Scarlet Mist, didn't find their reasoning particularly convincing. The fact that, assuming this is how it happened, they didn't even offer an explanation, but simply said "it's not your place to ask" worries me.

I don't know how many options you have open to you. But my gut reaction is to seriously consider whether this place is where you want to be.

Stuart

19. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I would guess that there was probably a miscommunication in the original question. If the question was asked politely and with respect, most instructors would respond with reasons. If it was asked by a student who was being sloppy when they can obviously do better, has an attitude, etc., it may well have been perceived exactly as you say the instructor took it, an arrogant insult.

Everyone has feelings, everyone gets bent out of shape over things they shouldn't. If it was a sincere question, go to the instructor in private, apologize for the miscommunication and try to explain that you are really seeking answers and knowledge to make yourself better. Most likely, that will clear things up. If it doesn't, I would seek a different school.

20. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

There was definitely a misunderstanding between the student and instructor. I just can't see any instructor yelling at a student for asking a legitimate question. You probably showed a little bit of an attitude and have a little tone of discontempt in your voice when you asked your question, thus being percieved by the instructor as disrespectful.

There's no sense throwing your relationship with your instructor and school out the door just because of a small miscommunication. Talk to the instructor privately and explain yourself and I'm sure he/she will be happy to reconsider your suspension.